CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #21,736 of 25,896
Amir says the Topping dac measures better than the Dave dac, but how does it sound compared to the Dave? Has anyone heard both? What are your impressions?
Mr. Watts will need to address these results and verify what Amir said was truthful or not.
Amir says you shouldn't hear a difference with different cables, but I definitely do, so I tend to take what he says with a grain of salt, despite the measurements, I let my ears be the judge.
The gentleman who sent the DAVE (and M Scaler) to ASR bought one of the Topping DACs, and now says he prefers it in his (2-channel) system to the DAVE. Of course, it's one man's subjective opinion, and without knowing more about his sonic preferences, I don't know how much weight to assign it. I do know he owns and loves a Shangri-la headphone, which means he's not completely deaf. :relaxed:

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #21,737 of 25,896
I have been headbutting with a member regarding the HF filter on Dave.
Do you have or recall what the slope was?
Chord says a steep filter at 60k, and your graph ends at 50k because the vertical scale is zoomed in.
How sharp was the filter? Thanx
I didn't do a further zoomed out one unfortunately. Usually the response of a filter is described by the -3dB point so I have that test set to a fairly close zoom to clearly show that, as it'd be harder to see when zoomed further

1658778738159.png

https://goldensound.audio/2022/03/14/chord-dave-measurements-with-mscaler/

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #21,738 of 25,896
The gentleman who sent the DAVE (and M Scaler) to ASR bought one of the Topping DACs, and now claims he prefers it in his (2-channel) system to the DAVE. Of course, it's one man's subjective opinion, and without knowing more about his sonic preferences, I don't know how much weight to assign it. I do know he owns and loves a Shangri-la headphone, which means he's not completely deaf. :relaxed:
I think if a lot of us honestly did some blind testing, we'd be shocked at the results. The other night, I was enjoying my setup and listening to music upsampled via HQPlayer. For hours, I sat there enjoying, fascinated that I was hearing details I've missed before. I was a believer in HQPlayer! Until I went to stop the music and saw that it was never engaged at all and I was simply listening out of the TT2 direct over toslink. Ooops yea, really woke me up to how much we make up in our head when we expect to hear something vs not knowing what to expect.

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #21,739 of 25,896
I didn't do a further zoomed out one unfortunately. Usually the response of a filter is described by the -3dB point so I have that test set to a fairly close zoom to clearly show that, as it'd be harder to see when zoomed further

https://goldensound.audio/2022/03/14/chord-dave-measurements-with-mscaler/
I have seen that, but was it a smooth filter of 3db/octave ? Say the brickwall filter is not a smooth one.
Because That is not a Sharp filter as Chord claims, or as you mentioned on the review.
Say -6dB at 60K is not going to be very effective at removing noise (as Chord claims on the manual).
Thanx for replying.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #21,740 of 25,896
I think if a lot of us honestly did some blind testing, we'd be shocked at the results. The other night, I was enjoying my setup and listening to music upsampled via HQPlayer. For hours, I sat there enjoying, fascinated that I was hearing details I've missed before. I was a believer in HQPlayer! Until I went to stop the music and saw that it was never engaged at all and I was simply listening out of the TT2 direct over toslink. Ooops yea, really woke me up to how much we make up in our head when we expect to hear something vs not knowing what to expect.
Yep, had the same exact experience with expensive interconnects about twenty years ago. I had an SACD player with two sets of RCA outputs, so I could A/B them vs. some cheaper interconnects I'd been using for awhile (don't remember either brand at this point) by simply remotely switching inputs on my ARC Reference 1 preamp. I was completely convinced that the system sounded WAY better with the expensive interconnects. One day, I was doing the comparison and having the usual subjective preference, but then discovered that I'd mixed up which interconnect was on which preamp input. Needless to say, it was a moment of great self-enlightenment. We truly don't understand or appreciate how much processing goes on between our eardrums and what we think we're hearing, and how unreliable it can be. That's (one reason) why *I* use measurements as a sanity check. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course...

Jul 25, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #21,741 of 25,896
Needless to say, it was a moment of great self-enlightenment. We truly don't understand or appreciate how much processing goes on between our eardrums and what we think we're hearing, and how unreliable it can be.
One thing that is very evident; there's a lot of ego tied to this hobby for some. I don't expect many to challenge themselves and do proper blind testing for the fear that they may discover they've been wrong all along. That would shatter how amazing they think their own hearing ability is. What I described and what you're describing, these stories are frequent occurrences that continue to remind me to keep an open mind and not become dogmatic about what I think I hear.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #21,743 of 25,896
Yep, had the same exact experience with expensive interconnects about twenty years ago. I had an SACD player with two sets of RCA outputs, so I could A/B them vs. some cheaper interconnects I'd been using for awhile (don't remember either brand at this point) by simply remotely switching inputs on my ARC Reference 1 preamp. I was completely convinced that the system sounded WAY better with the expensive interconnects. One day, I was doing the comparison and having the usual subjective preference, but then discovered that I'd mixed up which interconnect was on which preamp input. Needless to say, it was a moment of great self-enlightenment. We truly don't understand or appreciate how much processing goes on between our eardrums and what we think we're hearing, and how unreliable it can be. That's (one reason) why *I* use measurements as a sanity check. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course...
We all had similar moments. For me, excellent bench performance is merely a first step - it represents quality engineering, manufacturing and quality control. Assuming the gear has excellent performance, then there is the listening test to determine if the sound reproduction fits your tastes and preferences. This eliminates 90% (I made this number up obviously) of the high-end imposters (both gear and reviewers) on the market.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #21,744 of 25,896
The percentage of reasonably sane posts seems to be going up as the number of guests falls... 😁

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #21,745 of 25,896
... and we are closing in on 22k posts in this thread.

Not bad for a seven year old device that was supposedly a pile of 💩e from day one. 🤣

Jul 25, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #21,746 of 25,896
I liked the bit where he says he couldn’t recommend it at any price.
But maybe as their spiritual leader takes ever more extreme positions, then maybe some of his audience will see it for what it appears to be.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #21,747 of 25,896
I’m definitely prioritizing going to a Can Jam in the future. It’d be a fun trip. That said the likelihood of them pairing the dac I’m interested in with my amp(s), cables, conditioner, streamer and headphones is very unlikely. I need to move to a new city in a new state, where I can get in home demos. I envy those in UK who can return anything within a timespan and get their full money back.
canjam is tons of fun I have been to the ones in NYC numerous times...good fun but a lousy place to listen to components...

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #21,748 of 25,896
Looks like Amir runs a retail AV shop in WA that sells AV electronics and does custom installations - good god everyone in this hifi business has an agenda and is trying to make a buck off of you.

Seriously, “don’t trust and verify” should be plastered in all the forums.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #21,749 of 25,896
canjam is tons of fun I have been to the ones in NYC numerous times...good fun but a lousy place to listen to components...
Should have gone to the one in Chicago - I was able to spend solid 30-45min with each gear (I ran out of time eventually).

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #21,750 of 25,896
That Dave is a used item sent in by an ASR forum member. Who knows whether it has been abused but it should be returned to Chord under warranty for repair and then retested.

Regarding your mention of the TT2 and its possible SINAD this is completely in the 'so what' category because the Dave sounds considerably better than the TT2. We don't need measurements to know that, just a pair of ears.

(by the way I am just part way through a podcast on the subject of the usefulness of measurements from about 2 weeks ago by Darko with GS as a guest and amongst other things the clear conclusion is that SINAD is no better method of ranking a DAC than it is to try to rank cars by stating their engine horse power)

I am a petrol head and engine horse power means a lot to me. In terms of audio equipment the ratio of signal to the sum of noise and distortion is meaningful, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back