CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #21,751 of 25,859
it seems the entire chord dave thread has been hijacked by these creepy ASR people...please go back to your site where you can bash and mock and try to destroy basically all high end audio products..personally I dont know why these people bother with anything other than a topping amp and a budget DAC and call it a day..why the need to try to tear down products which seems to be all that occurs on the ASR site ...

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #21,752 of 25,859
it seems the entire chord dave thread has been hijacked by these creepy ASR people...please go back to your site where you can bash and mock and try to destroy basically all high end audio products..personally I dont know why these people bother with anything other than a topping amp and a budget DAC and call it a day..why the need to try to tear down products which seems to be all that occurs on the ASR site ...
I tend to agree, but ASR did give a positive review for the Mola Mola Tambaqui, which is priced around the same as a DAVE.

Personally, I'm not sure the ASR measurements are actually measuring the right construct (meaning the sound I actually hear), so I don't put much weight in them.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #21,753 of 25,859
Looks like Amir runs a retail AV shop in WA that sells AV electronics and does custom installations - good god everyone in this hifi business has an agenda and is trying to make a buck off of you.

Seriously, “don’t trust and verify” should be plastered in all the forums.
He only sells his own brand, as far as I am aware, but he buys in components and bits and bats. he is not a reseller as such.
He always has declared that and never reviews his own stuff.
Recently he reviewed an equalizer, and in the first few lines, he declared that he buys from that company for clarity.
He may have an agenda, but it is not that!
He does not get on with Rob Watts, and so far Rob has snubbed him (I must say rightfully).
It seems he is bothered by that.
But he is honest!

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #21,754 of 25,859
If you enjoy it (and it is a very good DAC) then why would certain measurements not being what someone says they should be bother you? Would it suddenly sound worse?

My Dave sounds just as good today as it did before that review and I am just as comfortable with the price as I was before.
Actually mine sounded better today…

My wife was out so I turned the volume up 😜

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #21,755 of 25,859
Can non-members leave posts here?
If they are members, then they have every right.
As some of us (Me!) do the same on both sites.

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #21,756 of 25,859
He only sells his own brand, as far as I am aware, but he buys in components and bits and bats. he is not a reseller as such.
He always has declared that and never reviews his own stuff.
Recently he reviewed an equalizer, and in the first few lines, he declared that he buys from that company for clarity.
He may have an agenda, but it is not that!
He does not get on with Rob Watts, and so far Rob has snubbed him (I must say rightfully).
It seems he is bothered by that.
But he is honest!
Someone in WA should pay his store a visit :o2smile:

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #21,757 of 25,859
please go back to your site
This makes no sense at all. About 75% or more of ASR people are Head-fiers. They have more understanding of science and logic than people in summit fi 😆

Here's a perfect example:

"Do cables make a difference?"

Once you say yes. You belong in headfi and especially in summit-fi, it's simple as that.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #21,758 of 25,859
This makes no sense at all. About 75% or more of ASR people are Head-fiers. They have more understanding of science and logic than people in summit fi 😆

Here's a perfect example:

"Do cables make a difference?"

Once you say yes. You belong in headfi and especially in summit-fi, it's simple as that.
I can hear difference in cables - I guess that makes me a headfi slave. :smirk:

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #21,759 of 25,859
That Dave is a used item sent in by an ASR forum member. Who knows whether it has been abused but it should be returned to Chord under warranty for repair and then retested.

Regarding your mention of the TT2 and its possible SINAD this is completely in the 'so what' category because the Dave sounds considerably better than the TT2. We don't need measurements to know that, just a pair of ears.

(by the way I am just part way through a podcast on the subject of the usefulness of measurements from about 2 weeks ago by Darko with GS as a guest and amongst other things the clear conclusion is that SINAD is no better method of ranking a DAC than it is to try to rank cars by stating their engine horse power)
I agree once you are able to resolve 17-18 bits more is kind of meaningless from a pure audio perspective. But bad SINAD could mean design, manufacturing or quality control issues that may affect product as a whole.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #21,760 of 25,859
I can hear difference in cables - I guess that makes me a headfi slave. :smirk:
I can do too, in special circumstances! Though my education can not explain it (Yet).
This is a problem with blind objectivity (or subjectivity). You develop pre-conceptions in black and white.
It polarizes you.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #21,761 of 25,859
I can do too, in special circumstances! Though my education can not explain it (Yet).
This is a problem with blind objectivity (or subjectivity). You develop pre-conceptions in black and white.
It polarizes you.
I am too objective for here and too subjective for ASR and sound science. I think that friendly place offers a good balance but they are not very social and demand “high quality” posting, which I don’t care for. And I hate being marketed to, sold to and influenced by. Sad state of affairs really.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #21,762 of 25,859
Yep, had the same exact experience with expensive interconnects about twenty years ago. I had an SACD player with two sets of RCA outputs, so I could A/B them vs. some cheaper interconnects I'd been using for awhile (don't remember either brand at this point) by simply remotely switching inputs on my ARC Reference 1 preamp. I was completely convinced that the system sounded WAY better with the expensive interconnects. One day, I was doing the comparison and having the usual subjective preference, but then discovered that I'd mixed up which interconnect was on which preamp input. Needless to say, it was a moment of great self-enlightenment. We truly don't understand or appreciate how much processing goes on between our eardrums and what we think we're hearing, and how unreliable it can be. That's (one reason) why *I* use measurements as a sanity check. Everyone's mileage may vary, of course...

I had the opposite scenario, I love the Eagles Hotel California on DSD, the other day I swear I was listening to the album on DSD, but it sounded edgy and weird so I went to check, I thought my speakers had gone bad, I was listening to the CD version while thinking I was listening to my DSD.

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #21,763 of 25,859
I am too objective for here and too subjective for ASR and sound science. I think that friendly place offers a good balance but they are not very social and demand “high quality” posting, which I don’t care for. And I hate being marketed to, sold to and influenced by. Sad state of affairs really.
Who demands high quality postings?

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #21,764 of 25,859

Users who are viewing this thread

Back