Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #586 of 635
The Tera-Player has the most intuitive and easy it use interface I've used. While time consuming, you can navigate an SD card blind. It can do things no other dap can do, like one button press from all songs random into full album play of the song that moves you. Seriously, it's easier to use than an iPhone. I've been waiting for the day for someone match a Tera style UI with a screened dap.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #587 of 635
  I mean this as an amiable, but nonetheless serious, question:

Those wishing for an SD reader for Mojo that omits wireless - how would you propose to navigate the files on the microSD card?

A few buttons isn't going to be sufficient to navigate a few hundred or few thousand files, without a screen (please don't point to the old Shuffle or the Tera player - I don't take them seriously, in this day & age, from a file navigation standpoint)

Some people still find physical buttons important enough that leading manufacturers such as Sony, AK, Hifiman... (to name a few) still include them on all top of the line models.
If the convenience of accessing these basic functions from a pocket (without having to get the player out, turn the screen on and navigate) was so irrelevant, no current DAP would have physical buttons. They would have been abandoned 5 years ago...

It feels to me that Chord's decision to omit basic shuffle buttons was not because they are obsolete but because of production cost effectiveness. And considering the price tag, it's hard to justify for me. I would spend $300 for a SD card with shuffle buttons module. I will not pay $600+ for the current poly.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #588 of 635
  Some people still find physical buttons important enough that leading manufacturers such as Sony, AK, Hifiman... (to name a few) still include them on all top of the line models.
If the convenience of accessing these basic functions from a pocket (without having to get the player out, turn the screen on and navigate) was so irrelevant, no current DAP would have physical buttons. They would have been abandoned 5 years ago...

No, that's not what I asked
wink.gif

I didn't ask you to convince me of how nice it is to have buttons. I like buttons, whenever possible, as much as anyone.

I asked how you (not just you) propose to navigate thousands of music files without a screen. Terra and Shuffle just about get away with buttons and no screen because they have extremely limited memory capacity, and thus limited numbers of music files stored on them, through which to navigate. But a microSD slot now allows insertion of a 256gb card, and soon 512gb or 1TB. That's a huge library of files, even if they are Hi-Res.

This is a friendly discussion, but what I am pointing to is it's all very well saying 'I want a simpler and cheaper version', but if you eliminate wireless connection, you lose the use of a smartphone screen, and navigating a decent music library isn't easy without the contents being displayed, even if you have nice buttons to press.

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #589 of 635

Yes Mython, bluetooth allows wireless phone navigation through huge libraries, I get it 
wink.gif

What I'm proposing is the thought that the Poly would probably have been received much more positively had it been offered in 3 different modules (identical casing size with different internals)

1. As it is + physical buttons for $500 (it's really hard for many of us to spend more on a module than the mojo itself)

2. SD card reader only with buttons for $300

3. Bluetooth/wireless only for $300

I think it would have pleased more people in general. I would have definitely bought either #1 or #2 depending on available budget... and likely bought the second module or the two in one at a later date. But as it stands, the Poly doesn't quite meet my portable expectations at such price point

Peace out

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #590 of 635
Yes Mython, bluetooth allows wireless phone navigation through huge libraries, I get it :wink:

What I'm proposing is the thought that the Poly would probably have been received much more positively had it been offered in 3 different modules (identical casing size with different internals)

1. As it is + physical buttons for $500 (it's really hard for many of us to spend more on a module than the mojo itself)

2. SD card reader only with buttons for $300

3. Bluetooth/wireless only for $300

I think it would have pleased more people in general. I would have definitely bought either #1 or #2 depending on available budget... and likely bought the second module or the two in one at a later date. But as it stands, the Poly doesn't quite meet my portable expectations at such price point

Peace out

I agree

Just want sd support without use of a phone, if I wanted Bluetooth/WiFi id just use the phone... Instead of paying 600 just to get the cable out of the picture

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #591 of 635
OK, well you're entitled to your point of view, lads, but if Chord had created a module which literally just had a card slot and REW, PLAY/PAUSE, FFW, and SHUFFLE buttons, with no way to see the contents of the memory card, I don't think it would've been taken very seriously by many people, given how large music libraries are becoming, on a 256gb+ card, these days.

No hard feelings, though
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #592 of 635
  OK, well you're entitled to your point of view, lads, but if Chord had created a module which literally just had a card slot and REW, PLAY/PAUSE, FFW, and SHUFFLE buttons, with no way to see the contents of the memory card, I don't think it would've been taken very seriously by many people, given how large music libraries are becoming, on a 256gb+ card, these days.

No hard feelings, though
beerchug.gif

wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #594 of 635
I once asked the Head-Fi community to design a DAC for around $250, as that is what a lot of people had ended up paying for upgrading a cheap, and somewhat dodgy $99 eBay DAC to make it sound better. We ended up with a $350 product that hardly anybody understood how to use without reading the instructions, consisting of numerous buttons, inputs, outputs and exchangeable parts. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #595 of 635

No hard feelings, though
beerchug.gif

I already made a pretty epic post about what I *expected* (or hoped!) the Poly would be. Not sure which of the Mojo/Poly threads it was on though; I'm losing track.
The essence of it was that I hoped for something like the Poly, but with a thin-ish  touchscreen that extended out to cover both the Poly and the reverse side of the Mojo.
Plus a few physical buttons and TWO micro-SD card slots.

I hadn't considered the whole wifi/bluetooth thing because I personally don't use streaming.
Why? Two reasons. Despite Hyperoptic broadband at home and an iPhone out and about, I have experienced buffering problems or freezing with any streamed material previously.
Maybe it's improved now, but it's left me wary of relying on such things.
And my phone has too small a memory to store downloaded Tidal tracks (FLAC).

Secondly, it's hard enough making my phone battery stretch through the day as it is, and that's with wifi, bluetooth, location tracking etc all switched off.
Yes, I could get a portable battery pack, but then that's yet more weight and bulk to be carrying around.. So again, no thoughts about using Tidal/Spotify unless plugged in to a charger.
Having said that, of course I'm passionate about music and love the idea of using such a service, mainly to discover great new music.

So for that same reason, I was initially skeptical at the Poly idea of using a smartphone as the controller/streamer.

BUT... I can totally see the logic in choosing to avoid a screen and UI development by choosing to use a smartphone instead.
Similarly, after reading the announcement and Chord's comments, I recognise that the development of the Poly seems to have been less about creating the DAP that many were expecting, and more about creating an innovative one-stop-shop solution for all of a user's streaming needs (home, hub, on the go, etc). The DAP functionality is there of course, but perhaps a secondary focus.

And I didn't consider about the fact that sooner or later, micro-SD cards will offer up to 1TB of storage. So I can retract perhaps my criticism of the single card slot.

So overall, I stand corrected/enlightened on many of my initial areas of disappointment or distrust.
I certainly have huge respect for Chord and don't for a moment presume to think I know better than them or to voice anything other than constructive and considered criticism.
My personal preferences are not everyone else's, nor even the majority's. I always try to bear that in mind and stay humble.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #596 of 635
I already made a pretty epic post about what I *expected* (or hoped!) the Poly would be. Not sure which of the Mojo/Poly threads it was on though; I'm losing track.
The essence of it was that I hoped for something like the Poly, but with a thin-ish  touchscreen that extended out to cover both the Poly and the reverse side of the Mojo.
Plus a few physical buttons and TWO micro-SD card slots.

I hadn't considered the whole wifi/bluetooth thing because I personally don't use streaming.
Why? Two reasons. Despite Hyperoptic broadband at home and an iPhone out and about, I have experienced buffering problems or freezing with any streamed material previously.
Maybe it's improved now, but it's left me wary of relying on such things.
And my phone has too small a memory to store downloaded Tidal tracks (FLAC).

Secondly, it's hard enough making my phone battery stretch through the day as it is, and that's with wifi, bluetooth, location tracking etc all switched off.
Yes, I could get a portable battery pack, but then that's yet more weight and bulk to be carrying around.. So again, no thoughts about using Tidal/Spotify unless plugged in to a charger.
Having said that, of course I'm passionate about music and love the idea of using such a service, mainly to discover great new music.

So for that same reason, I was initially skeptical at the Poly idea of using a smartphone as the controller/streamer.

BUT... I can totally see the logic in choosing to avoid a screen and UI development by choosing to use a smartphone instead.
Similarly, after reading the announcement and Chord's comments, I recognise that the development of the Poly seems to have been less about creating the DAP that many were expecting, and more about creating an innovative one-stop-shop solution for all of a user's streaming needs (home, hub, on the go, etc). The DAP functionality is there of course, but perhaps a secondary focus.

And I didn't consider about the fact that sooner or later, micro-SD cards will offer up to 1TB of storage. So I can retract perhaps my criticism of the single card slot.

So overall, I stand corrected/enlightened on many of my initial areas of disappointment or distrust.
I certainly have huge respect for Chord and don't for a moment presume to think I know better than them or to voice anything other than constructive and considered criticism.
My personal preferences are not everyone else's, nor even the majority's. I always try to bear that in mind and stay humble.
I thank you sir for your consideration you seem to now to fully understand for us it was always about how do we or could we use Mojo in more inventive ways to make it work well we had to go to a very high leve of performance on the chips which put the budget up quite a bit.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #598 of 635
A little off subjet, but related to a main DAVE competitor: According to Stereophile today in his CES report, there are a new power supply options for the NAGRA HD DAC along with some other smaller changes and an update is also coming later ? Any one has infos on these ? especially the sonic impact of the new power supply option ?  

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #599 of 635
I thank you sir for your consideration you seem to now to fully understand for us it was always about how do we or could we use Mojo in more inventive ways to make it work well we had to go to a very high leve of performance on the chips which put the budget up quite a bit.

And thanks for your response! To be clear, (bearing in mind my original preconceptions about the design of the Poly), like most others I was expecting a lower price.
But that doesn't mean I am criticising the price it turned out to be.

I don't yet own a Mojo, but I had a good listen at CanJam London this year as well as reading many reviews on here.
I was staggered by the sound of it, and knew it was now only a question of if, not when, I would buy one.
I've just started my own property business so I imagine that time will be in a few months.

The highest praise I can give it is that my whole 'audiophile' purchasing plans are now oriented around "what would match best and be fully compatible with the Mojo?".
Everyone will have their own views, but after reading the extensive comments by yourself and Rob about the technology behind it, I don't believe there's any non-Chord DAC out there that offers what the Mojo brings. The level of technical knowledge and research that's gone into it is staggering.

Frankly, you could have sold it at double the price and it would still be a steal.
I can only imagine how many man-hours of R&D have gone into the Poly and its build and component quality.
With that, along what it offers to add to the Mojo in terms of functionality, I have no issues with the price.

I'd quite like an RWA AK380 with matching TOTL IEM's. But right now, that's out of reach.
I'm fortunate that the nature of the business I'm running means I can expect to go from being relatively poor to relatively wealthy in a matter of a year or so.
I've been down, I've been broke and I've worked minimum wage jobs, so I know well how that feels.
I can appreciate what certain products offer and hope to buy them later without criticising their price even if I can't afford them now (or ever).

Some things for me are 'stupidly' expensive (Bugatti Veyron?). Even if/when I am wealthy, I can't really see myself ever buying them, but don't hate or mock them for their price.
We all have different purchasing power, and different standards regarding indulgence, affordability and so on.

I see the Poly and I see something that has a ton of R&D behind it and oozes class, technical excellence and craftsmanship.
Rather than quibble about what it could have had, I choose to learn about what it is with an open mind and look forward to more info.
Again, I'm not judging others' opinions. This is just my personal take on the matter.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #600 of 635
I think ploy UI will be an app which could be simple or detailed and SD reader is unlimited.
The Tera-Player has the most intuitive and easy it use interface I've used. While time consuming, you can navigate an SD card blind. It can do things no other dap can do, like one button press from all songs random into full album play of the song that moves you. Seriously, it's easier to use than an iPhone. I've been waiting for the day for someone match a Tera style UI with a screened dap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back