Chord Electronics - CES Launch Extravaganza
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #571 of 635
Just a friendly reminder to all who may be reading this thread; there are dedicated threads running, for each of the announced devices, where you may find your questions already answered:

www.head-fi.org/t/831343/chord-electronics-blu-mk-2-the-official-thread

www.head-fi.org/t/831345/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread

www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-add-on-microsd-and-advanced-wireless-module-for-mojo

beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #572 of 635
  I'm not impressed by this release. They basically did everything they needed to do to make a high end DAP across two units and then didn't make the leap by adding a screen and basic Android OS. 

I understand the sentiment, but do you think it's straight-forward to just "add a screen and a basic Android OS"? 

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #573 of 635
Consider that the Sonore microRendu is 640 USD without a power supply, the poly price point is not bad if it performs as well. From my perspective, the Poly does just what the microRendu does, a purposely-built audiophile network transport -- but on the go.

Correct. I suspect the USB out of the Poly is just as compatible with any other dac as it is with the Mojo. Only a cable adapter is needed.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #574 of 635

Consider that the Sonore microRendu is 640 USD without a power supply, the poly price point is not bad if it performs as well. From my perspective, the Poly does just what the microRendu does, a purposely-built audiophile network transport -- but on the go.

Correct. I suspect the USB out of the Poly is just as compatible with any other dac as it is with the Mojo. Only a cable adapter is needed.

I assume it will work with other USB dac with an adapter, because Mojo's usb port is generic ...!

It's not locked to just Mojo

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #575 of 635
The more I read on this, the more sense it makes. Yes, the price will scare people away and using its full capabilities depends on having a good wifi connection, but it basically gives the user all available options for feeding their music collection through the Mojo. I think people who have a lot of content on a home server will love it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #576 of 635
"adding a screen" is nonsense!

This requires developing software with a competitive user interface, and that is an entirely different skill set than Chord's.

I think they are smart to not get involved with that endeavor.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #577 of 635
"adding a screen" is nonsense!

This requires developing software with a competitive user interface, and that is an entirely different skill set than Chord's.

I think they are smart to not get involved with that endeavor.

Also, it will drain the battery faster ..!! So i think not adding screen is a wise idea and future proof.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #578 of 635

Price way to high.  Only one SD card slot?  Feel like selling mojo and getting DAP now.  Or getting a cheap transport.  Poly doesn't do anything I wanted it to do.  I don't want to play music with my phone wirelessly.  I don't want stack either.  They wasted there money on R&D on a high priced unit.  They will not sell more than 5% of these vs Mojo sells.  Mojo companion needs to be cheap enough and featured enough that 80% of their current Mojo customers would be willing to buy it.

The price of Poly has not been inflated we at Chord always follow precisely the same Bill of material to selling price ratio. Yes we could have used a cheap single core processor that runs a fraction iof the speed we are running and had no coprocessor. The price is what it is because Poly is what it is please don't judge Poly when you are not fully aware of a Polys cababilities Poly is an amazing product with truly world first cababilities! Yes we could have built it cheaper but it would not have been able to do half of what Poly can do.or at the speed that poly can do it Please hold your fire until you can fully understand what Poly really is about. I would have hoped that by now all of you guys would understand that we at Chord care greatly about what ultra high technology we design. There are many rip off merchants that bring cheap low technology solutions forward with the hope of selling them to the gullible we are proud not to be one of them. So the price of Poly is the right price it could only be Cheapened by crippleing its performance and I'm very sorry but we as a company are not prepared to do that .

I never said or thought the price was inflated or that what was offered was not priced accordingly.  I was saying you could have put alot less effort in R&D made a simple cheaper product with the cheaper processor, smaller cheaper battery.  Basic functions and made alot of Mojo owners like my self very happy.  I have faith you could have perfected a simple solution.  I believe mojo is huge.  I love it, nothing sounds better I use it as much as my phone or more.  It is best product I have purchased since my first smartphone.  I wish everyone could own one.  I don't know one person though that is willing to spend $500 on a DAC other than myself and for me it was a real stretch to pull the trigger.  I'm saying I can't get friends that have 200K plus income that are music lovers to spend any more than $200 on a DAC.  The people that bought Mojo are very special group of people.  But I know many of us owners like myself just can't justify something like Poly.  I use Mojo 4 hours or more a day at desktop.  I need a DAP add-on for Mojo maybe 3 hours per week.  But for those 3 hours usually I'm walking or working on other projects need mobility.  I don't want $2000 of hardware in my pocket (iphone,mojo,poly) when I'm walking around.  Its just not going to work for me.  Need something else.  There seems to be some new USB C devices that do what I need so I think I might just go that route.  Nothing personal though.  I believe it was priced fine and loaded.  But I stand by my point and I do believe 1 in 16 current owners of Mojo will buy this.  This may not be reflected in this thread as many have said they will buy it.  But these are your hardcore fans and even out of these many don't want it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #579 of 635
Honestly, I think you're right in that there is a large market for a "Poly Basic" with less functionality and a more affordable price point.  I'm sure Chord has heard all the criticism loud and clear at this point.  Think of it this way though:  it's a lot easier to release a scaled DOWN version of something than it is to release a scaled UP version of something.  If Chord is listening, I wouldn't be surprised if we do see a Poly Basic at some time in the future.

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #580 of 635
  Honestly, I think you're right in that there is a large market for a "Poly Basic" with less functionality and a more affordable price point.  I'm sure Chord has heard all the criticism loud and clear at this point.  Think of it this way though:  it's a lot easier to release a scaled DOWN version of something than it is to release a scaled UP version of something.  If Chord is listening, I wouldn't be surprised if we do see a Poly Basic at some time in the future.

Poly Lite would be an appropriate name. Maybe a version with just the SD card reader functionality.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #581 of 635
Hey if I hadn't just bought a Mac amp I'd be all on this. It's pretty solid spec and build and I've always wanted a Mojo! I told myself if something like the Poly dropped this week I'd probably buy both, but alas the price point is just too high for me at the moment. And the next several moments.
I think I was hoping for them to release a product that would get the existing fans to sell their current Mojos for cheap! :D

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #582 of 635
  Poly Lite would be an appropriate name. Maybe a version with just the SD card reader functionality.

As a product which bridges the gap between the existing functionality of the Mojo and the all-singing, all-dancing Poly, might I suggest the name 'PolyFiller'?
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #585 of 635
I mean this as an amiable, but nonetheless serious, question:

Those wishing for an SD reader for Mojo that omits wireless - how would you propose to navigate the files on the microSD card?

A few buttons isn't going to be sufficient to navigate a few hundred or few thousand files, without a screen (please don't point to the old Shuffle or the Tera player - I don't take them seriously, in this day & age, from a file navigation standpoint)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back