Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
May 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #617 of 4,904
As I said, I expect I'll get a pair of cheap cables to have on hand for when my Blu2 arrives. Beyond that, I'm keeping my options open.

May 25, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #619 of 4,904
I'm sorry but that is the complete opposite of what I am hearing by adding the MF TVC. Without it the bass is slightly wooly, ill defined etc. with the TVC all those issues disappear. Mid range also suffers without the TVC. Dave straight into my valve amps is quite impressive, via the TVC it is absolutely stunning. Note I am not a person who uses valves for a warm slightly distorted sound!

I feel a need to demonstrate this to @Rob Watts ! (as indeed I have done for many others but I suspect he might be a tad busy!) Rob, if you are inclined I'm happy to bring my amps to demonstrate.

Interesting system you have there. The 845 PP reminds me of my previous Line Magnetic LM219IA.

I am in the market for a DAVE sometime down the line, and have always wondered about the pre vs direct route. My impression (might not be totally accurate), from reading the tons of information on headfi, was that a number of those who prefer the direct route are not using 2-channel systems. Of course, I note that romaz uses the DAVE to directly drive his speakers. To me, it would be ideal if I could dispense with a pre-amp, for cost and system complexity reasons.

Would you happen to know the input impedance of your amps, and if this might have been a factor? That the MFA is a TVC and not an active preamp might have contributed to your findings as well. The others who prefer to run direct appear to have made comparisons with active preamps.

With the MFA in place, was there a difference in terms of dynamics, resolution and soundstaging?

Thanks.

May 25, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #620 of 4,904
Interesting system you have there. The 845 PP reminds me of my previous Line Magnetic LM219IA.

I am in the market for a DAVE sometime down the line, and have always wondered about the pre vs direct route. My impression (might not be totally accurate), from reading the tons of information on headfi, was that a number of those who prefer the direct route are not using 2-channel systems. Of course, I note that romaz uses the DAVE to directly drive his speakers. To me, it would be ideal if I could dispense with a pre-amp, for cost and system complexity reasons.

Would you happen to know the input impedance of your amps, and if this might have been a factor? That the MFA is a TVC and not an active preamp might have contributed to your findings as well. The others who prefer to run direct appear to have made comparisons with active preamps.

With the MFA in place, was there a difference in terms of dynamics, resolution and soundstaging?

Thanks.

My experience is only with valve (tube) amps but so far with every one I have tried it is the case that connecting the Chord DAC (I have used Mojo, Hugo, HugoTT, Dave) direct to the power amp resulted in a loss of dynamics, resolution and soundstaging as well as bass and general quality. Inserting either an active preamp or a TVC restored all to normal.

People have tried to suggest that it is the colouring of the sound introduced by the pre amp that I prefer. This is absolutely not what I am discussing. Indeed, the MFA TVA preamps are well known for zero change to the sound colour.

Sorry, I do not know the input impedance of my amps.

Hope this helps.

May 25, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #621 of 4,904
My experience is only with valve (tube) amps but so far with every one I have tried it is the case that connecting the Chord DAC (I have used Mojo, Hugo, HugoTT, Dave) direct to the power amp resulted in a loss of dynamics, resolution and soundstaging as well as bass and general quality. Inserting either an active preamp or a TVC restored all to normal.

People have tried to suggest that it is the colouring of the sound introduced by the pre amp that I prefer. This is absolutely not what I am discussing. Indeed, the MFA TVA preamps are well known for zero change to the sound colour.

Sorry, I do not know the input impedance of my amps.

Hope this helps.

The specs for the power amps are here:

http://www.iconaudio.com/main-products/mb-845-mk-iim/

They have high and low input gain settings, and presumably both were tested.

May 25, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #622 of 4,904
May 25, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #623 of 4,904
I agree ...both my SET 45, 2a3 and first watt f7 sound much better thru a preamp than direct from a DAC. As Triode says ...it just sounds better.
Curiously, I have read that Dave direct into ATC scm40A active speakers is spectacular. And I heard a 2Qute direct into Focal Twin6Be active studio monitors ...also with great results.
So ...something in the design of 'Pro' equipment line level input is 'different' ?
...fodder for another thread I guess.

May 25, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #625 of 4,904
Short answer: Yes! :grin:
This evening I've been listening for example to Rolling Stones' sticky fingers (Bob Ludwing remaster) and the sound was simply awesome. Like the best analog gear. Holographic and tonally perfect, dense sound. Later Alice Coltrane's "World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda" was simply jaw dropping. Really happy with tha Blu2
Oscar

May 25, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #627 of 4,904
I've been listening to my DAVE this evening and wondering: "Seriously, how can it get better than this?"

You have posted in the Blu2 thread so possibly you know the answer. :)

May 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #628 of 4,904
Short answer: Yes! :grin:
This evening I've been listening for example to Rolling Stones' sticky fingers (Bob Ludwing remaster) and the sound was simply awesome. Like the best analog gear. Holographic and tonally perfect, dense sound. Later Alice Coltrane's "World Spirituality Classics 1: The Ecstatic Music of Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda" was simply jaw dropping. Really happy with tha Blu2
Oscar

Good to know I just wish Chord would hurry it up with my delivery.

I have a couple of Alice Coltrane albums, but not that one. Frankly, it's a bit too hippy-drippy for me. I will however, be playing plenty of John's music on my Blu 2. I even reviewed the most recent release of his music:

http://www.freejazzblog.org/2014/12/john-coltrane-offering-paul-dunmall.html

May 25, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #629 of 4,904
I think it bears repeating: if the power amp requires a pre-amp to sound right, then the power amp is broken. The pre-amp must be doing something to change the sound to make it "compatible" with the power amp.

Now playing: Arditti Quartet/Antonio Pinho Vargas - Monodia Un Requiem

May 25, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #630 of 4,904
I think it bears repeating: if the power amp requires a pre-amp to sound right, then the power amp is broken. The pre-amp must be doing something to change the sound to make it "compatible" with the power amp.

Now playing: Arditti Quartet/Antonio Pinho Vargas - Monodia Un Requiem

I’m not convinced, and am sceptical about such general observations which suggest the triumph of theory over experience..

It might be thought that any good audio equipment will work seamlessly with other good equipment, but the truth is more complex: some components work better together than others, and it’s often impossible to know in advance. Although some volume-controlled devices such as phono amps and DACs perform well direct into some power amps, it’s clear from reviews and forum posts that this isn’t always the case. I find it difficult to believe that the people who prefer a pre-amp are all mistaken in what they hear, or that the power amps in question must be “broken”. The mundane truth is that some things work better together than others, and I’m not sure that when they don’t it’s necessarily down to deficiency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back