Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #3,826 of 4,904
I reckon at least £4k. If it is only £2k other DAC manufacturers would want to start worrying. Imagine being able to purchase the best DAC in the world Dave and M-scaler for £10.5k. If it is too cheap it would cannibalise the sales of Blu2. £2k would also devalue Rob Watts achievements.

If Chord is reallly interested in capturing a much larger part of the SOTA DAC market 2k or less for an M-scaler would make much more sense and tempt many more potential customers than yet another overpriced product that only a chosen few can afford and some of those might still opt for other products instead of Chord's.
Rob has hinted, that he wants his 1M taps technology available to more music lovers and at lower prices.
There are also some other school of thought enthusiasts who claim what BLU2 or an M-scaler can do can be done with computer based music player upsampling/interpolation methods much cheaper.
The question is can they really match the1M taps technology of Rob Watts or not?
Personally all I know so far, is that some of the auditions /tests I have made speak very well for Robs tech.
But I still strongly dislike Chord's pricing strategy so far..
Actually listening via my humble Qutest to the live Prom's broadcasts with interest and quite bit of musical satisfaction via low res streaming or whatever it is the BBC is delivering this year.
Things are not always about SQ.
Music matters most to me.
But I have to say that the binaural version of Mozart's heavenly last Piano Concerto is a work I listen to every morning after my Yoga since it was broadcast on day 2 of this year's Proms. I wish I could have been there live,but since I am baby sitting a dog the month of July BBC Radio 3 is my daily comfort.
I even listened to last night's "Pelleas and Melisande" via my large speakers and it was ok. Not SOTA .
But still good enough to enjoy a good Opera performance without having to watch yet another atrocious modern setting of a timeless opera.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3,827 of 4,904
Actually listening via my humble Qutest to the live Prom's broadcasts with interest and quite bit of musical satisfaction via low res streaming or whatever it is the BBC is delivering this year.
Things are not always about SQ.
Music matters most to me.
Sadly the quality of the Proms, in last year's "lossy streams" was quite bad compared to the lossless streams. The lossy stream had an annoying, continuous, added noise which I found quite tiring. I haven't listened to anything from this year's Proms yet - maybe the lossy streams will be better?...

As to this new component that Rob will be talking about on Saturday at CanJam: if it's an M scaler, it strikes me that Rob has failed to make travelling the world with an M scaler much easier than with Blu 2. Something the size of Hugo TT (2) seems similarly awkward to transport, even if it's a bit shorter, though it is a bit less than half the weight. A Qutest-sized box would have been much easier for Rob to carry around!

Now playing: Derek Bailey - The Music Improvisation Company

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #3,828 of 4,904
The pricing is going to be interesting, and you have to look it in relation to sound quality. Will the M Scaler + Hugo2 sound better than a DAVE as some have claimed? If so, and the M scaler costs less than £6.5 or so then the DAVE is finished. Or if the M Scaler + Hugo TT2 sound better than a DAVE and the MScaler costs less than £5k or so, then the DAVE is finished. There are already people saying that the DAVE is Chords fourth best DAC since the Blu2 plus any of (Hugo2, Hugo TT2, DAVE) sounds better than a DAVE so these are reasonable speculations. Will the M Scaler sound better than the Blu2? There is certainly no reason for it to sound worse as it is unencumbered with a cd mechanism, and it’s design may well benefit from experience gained with the Blu2. Maybe it won’t benefit from ferrites. There certainly won’t be much space for them on the short cables u would use to stack it with a TT2. As for price .. somewhere around a TT2 give or take a few hundred. Chords metalwork is expensive, though the case for the M Scaler might be relatively simple if it has few buttons and a simple display. Not sure what is necessary if they stick with auto sensing inputs. Time will tell. People will complain whatever happens.

Your eulogy of DAVE is a bit premature.
I think your missing mentioning the other most important features of DAVE, the output stage and power supply, both effect SQ. I find the Hugo2 and Qutest both inferior (if not handicapped) to DAVE in these two areas as a desktop, especially if driving highly efficient speakers direct. Thus DAVE is it, until the TT2 arrives. And DAVE, discounted, isn't all that much more than the TT2 (whenever that actually becomes available).

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #3,829 of 4,904
Sadly the quality of the Proms, in last year's "lossy streams" was quite bad compared to the lossless streams. The lossy stream had an annoying, continuous, added noise which I found quite tiring. I haven't listened to anything from this year's Proms yet - maybe the lossy streams will be better?...

As to this new component that Rob will be talking about on Saturday at CanJam: if it's an M scaler, it strikes me that Rob has failed to make travelling the world with an M scaler much easier than with Blu 2. Something the size of Hugo TT (2) seems similarly awkward to transport, even if it's a bit shorter, though it is a bit less than half the weight. A Qutest-sized box would have been much easier for Rob to carry around!

I’ve always wanted to ask: are you always “now playing” something when you post a message — literally, every time — and why do you feel the need to share that information? Surely you must take a break on occasions, like when you’re adding or changing ferrites.

I’m now watching “The Death of Stalin” (very funny) and some of these posts are sounding increasingly frantic, a bit like the rantings of the Central Committee in that film.

For what it’s worth, I think it will be a slot-loading CD transport (no upsampling).

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #3,830 of 4,904
Your eulogy of DAVE is a bit premature.
I think your missing mentioning the other most important features of DAVE, the output stage and power supply, both effect SQ. I find the Hugo2 and Qutest both inferior (if not handicapped) to DAVE in these two areas as a desktop, especially if driving highly efficient speakers direct. Thus DAVE is it, until the TT2 arrives. And DAVE, discounted, isn't all that much more than the TT2 (whenever that actually becomes available).

Out of interest, what is the current street price of the DAVE?

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,831 of 4,904
Out of interest, what is the current street price of the DAVE?

I think about £6k UKP according to actual sold prices on eBay.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #3,832 of 4,904
I’ve always wanted to ask: are you always “now playing” something when you post a message — literally, every time
No. Also, sometimes I forget.

— and why do you feel the need to share that information?
Because I can, because it's fun, because some people like it, because it elicits off-thread discussion...

Surely you must take a break on occasions, like when you’re adding or changing ferrites.
Since I added ferrites to some cables for a friend's Hugo 2 for Christmas (with which he was distinctly pleased) I haven't done anything with ferrites, except listen to music.

I expect I'll have to muck about with ferrites if this new component is an M Scaler and I decide to buy one.

I’m now watching “The Death of Stalin” (very funny)
Hope you don't mind if I add that to my list of films to watch...

Now playing: Derek Bailey - Derek Bailey Plus One Music Ensemble - an evening of Derek Bailey inspired by his music that came up on my commute home :)

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #3,833 of 4,904
I think it will be network streamer bigger brother to Poly.

I hope it would be this, but Rob has mentioned it is one of his designs. If he has designed a streamer, that would be a major new area for him (which would be awesome!)

The stand alone mScaler is a conundrum: even though it is very technically feasible and would support very healthy margins, it would have to be priced quite high ($8k?) to not materially cannibalize DAVE and Blu2 sales. That is, why buy a DAVE if a H2+mScaler or TT2+mScaler is about the same price? Why buy a Blu2 if a standalone mScaler is available a material discount?

Chord may be willing to lose a lot of future Blu2 and DAVE sales to seed a larger market for mScaler. I hope so. Anything that allows more people to hear what is possible with mScaler is a good thing (even if my DAVE and Blu2 lose a lot of resale value in the process) It would be a bold strategic move to lean WAY forward with mScaler

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #3,834 of 4,904
No. Also, sometimes I forget.

Because I can, because it's fun, because some people like it, because it elicits off-thread discussion...

Since I added ferrites to some cables for a friend's Hugo 2 for Christmas (with which he was distinctly pleased) I haven't done anything with ferrites, except listen to music.

I expect I'll have to muck about with ferrites if this new component is an M Scaler and I decide to buy one.

Hope you don't mind if I add that to my list of films to watch...

Now playing: Derek Bailey - Derek Bailey Plus One Music Ensemble - an evening of Derek Bailey inspired by his music that came up on my commute home :)
I like it a lot!

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #3,835 of 4,904

As a matter of interest, from where did you get the “Derek Bailey Plus One Music Ensemble”? have most of Bailey’s recordings, but not that one. According to Discogs the complete session is available as a FLAC, but I can’t find out from where.

Jul 19, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #3,836 of 4,904

Hello Jawed, first the Proms: no hi res but also no noise. I listened to my favourite clip so far this still very young season of the BBC Proms, Mozart's last Piano Concerto after my Yoga session this morning again and via headphones and binaural it is very enjoyable indeed.
Some audience noise as expected and in surround sound,but no really annoying hiss even at quite loud level.
Pianism on a very high level and Mozart's wonderful musical flow in SQ that I can live with as it is, if not played very loud.
The lights on my Qutest shine with a bluish tint, indicating their standard 192 streaming quality.
But it all sounds listenable via Qutest.
My highest praise for Qutest is how well it delivers low res via Youtube and the BBC for example.
And also how it has made rbcd more listenable too.

Regarding the M-scaler I STRONGLY suspect that Rob himself travels with a small portable, lightweight version of it. Maybe even smaller than a Qutest!
Remember his plan is to include M-scaling in future Hugo models "3 or 4" to quote him litterarly.
But the BIG risk is that that the first one for sale via Chord will be both BIG and expensive.
If so, I will just pass on it for the time being.
We will know for sure if it is the M-scaler or not on Saturday.
Meanwhile I am enjoying the Proms via Qutest or Benchmark DAC2

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #3,837 of 4,904
Dear all,

I've been looking for a near-field loudspeaker system (placed in a 44 m2 room) specifically for my BluDave - that's why I am posting here. If it isn't the right forum please feel free to tell me. Anyway, I managed to put the top five speaker candidates on the shortlist accoring to my needs and budget. I would really appreciate your opinion on which would be the best and why. These speakers represent different price categories and different speaker technolgies. Certainly I should audit them, too (which isn't necessary an easy task to do). However, your generic ideas and/or experience from a "BlueDave" point of view are warmly welcome :)

1. Voxativ Pi-1 with AC-1.6 driver + JL Audio Fathom f110v2
  2. Omega SAM + JL Audio Fathom f110v2
  3. Omega Junior 8 XRS
  4. Odeon No. 28/2
  5. PureAudioProject Trio15 Voxativ with AC-1.6 or even AC-X Field Coil drivers

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #3,838 of 4,904
Dear all,

I've been looking for a near-field loudspeaker system (placed in a 44 m2 room) specifically for my BluDave - that's why I am posting here. If it isn't the right forum please feel free to tell me. Anyway, I managed to put the top five speaker candidates on the shortlist accoring to my needs and budget. I would really appreciate your opinion on which would be the best and why. These speakers represent different price categories and different speaker technolgies. Certainly I should audit them, too (which isn't necessary an easy task to do). However, your generic ideas and/or experience from a "BlueDave" point of view are warmly welcome :)

1. Voxativ Pi-1 with AC-1.6 driver + JL Audio Fathom f110v2
  2. Omega SAM + JL Audio Fathom f110v2
  3. Omega Junior 8 XRS
  4. Odeon No. 28/2
  5. PureAudioProject Trio15 Voxativ with AC-1.6 or even AC-X Field Coil drivers

I used ATC SCM25As with a Hugo, a Hugo TT and a DAVE. (Then I upgraded to some SCM50ASLT Anniversaries). They are magnificent active speakers, widely used professionally, with in particular a midrange that imo does not have an equal, due to the midrange dome for which ATC are renowned. They are designed for genuine near field listening, you will get an utterly solid, immersive, involving, compelling musical experience.

http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/professional/loudspeakers/scm25a-pro/

If the configuration doesn’t suit your home, ATC have a great range of domestic and professional models, from bookshelf designs all the way up to massive floorstanders.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #3,839 of 4,904
I hope it would be this, but Rob has mentioned it is one of his designs. If he has designed a streamer, that would be a major new area for him (which would be awesome!)

The stand alone mScaler is a conundrum: even though it is very technically feasible and would support very healthy margins, it would have to be priced quite high ($8k?) to not materially cannibalize DAVE and Blu2 sales. That is, why buy a DAVE if a H2+mScaler or TT2+mScaler is about the same price? Why buy a Blu2 if a standalone mScaler is available a material discount?

Chord may be willing to lose a lot of future Blu2 and DAVE sales to seed a larger market for mScaler. I hope so. Anything that allows more people to hear what is possible with mScaler is a good thing (even if my DAVE and Blu2 lose a lot of resale value in the process) It would be a bold strategic move to lean WAY forward with mScaler

My wild guess.

Dave and Blu2 have a similar price.

So,by extrapolation, as the mScaler is TT 2 sized, the mScaler will have a price tag of between 3500-4000 pounds

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,840 of 4,904
My wild guess.

Dave and Blu2 have a similar price.

So,by extrapolation, as the mScaler is TT 2 sized, the mScaler will have a price tag of between 3500-4000 pounds

That was where I got my wild guess of £3750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back