Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #3,796 of 4,904
Here in the uk Chord also tend to use ‘normal’ cables at demos. At the last show I went to they were using the unmodified Chord Company Signature cables (no relation to Chord Electronics) to connect Blu2 to Dave. When I first got my Blu2 I also used unmodified cables for a long time and I was very happy with the large improvement in sound over Dave alone.

As marcmccalmont says, it really is a matter of not missing what you never had. With a normal cable you will be happy with the great sound of the blu2/scaler. Although having said that there is one person I have met, Crgreen, who was never happy with the blu2/mscaler sound right from the word go.

Only if you try what is suggested will you see what is possible. One person came to my house with the Chord Signature bnc cables he had been very happy using with his blu2/mscaler. These cables cost more than my cables. It took him only a few minutes of trying my cables to see what he had been missing and he ordered a pair.

But it’s not about having expensive cables. The ferrites really do work just as marcmccalmont has said and many guys buy expensive cables and then load them with ferrites. It’s a great offer that marcmccalmont has made to you and you owe it to your ears to take him up on it and have a go.

I used to think that surely Chord would demo their blu2/mscaler with the best cables to make it sound as good as possible hence why they use standard (albeit expensive) cables but now I know better.
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I am not going to reject ferrites out of hand but I want to try it with unmodified cables to start with. The benefits you describe using ferrites are similar to what you get with Ansuz DTC cables with active Tesla technology built into them.

Bud

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #3,797 of 4,904
Thank you for clearing that up for me. I am not going to reject ferrites out of hand but I want to try it with unmodified cables to start with. The benefits you describe using ferrites are similar to what you get with Ansuz DTC cables with active Tesla technology built into them.

Bud

Great, keep an open mind, that’s the main thing. I agree with your plan of starting with unmodified cables as that will give you a good reference point.

Regarding the Ansuz DTC cables, of course you won’t know if the benefits are really the same until you try both types of cables side by side in the same system.

I’m sure it will be fun and good luck with your Blu2.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,799 of 4,904
Is this the long-awaited m-scaler showing covered up on the CanJam London preview video (4:15) -

Yes, I think so. (99% certainty.)

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #3,800 of 4,904
just watched and yes I guess it is . . . . . Very exciting.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #3,801 of 4,904
Great, keep an open mind, that’s the main thing. I agree with your plan of starting with unmodified cables as that will give you a good reference point.

Regarding the Ansuz DTC cables, of course you won’t know if the benefits are really the same until you try both types of cables side by side in the same system.

I’m sure it will be fun and good luck with your Blu2.
It appears that all Ansuz DTC cables (signal and power) have both active Tesla coils and static Ferrite coils. So both the signal path and shields are covered.
Bud

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #3,803 of 4,904
It appears that all Ansuz DTC cables (signal and power) have both active Tesla coils and static Ferrite coils. So both the signal path and shields are covered.
Bud

Bud, Stick to the plan and listen to the DTC cables alongside a properly ferrited set of cables. Don't assume . . . . .

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #3,804 of 4,904
Bud

The Ansuz website doesn't reveal much about the Tesla coil but it looks like it is related to eliminating the effects of vibration, whatever they may be.

Many cables come with ferrites but only typically 1 at each end which is not sufficient to eliminate the RF issue talked about here.

It also looks like there is an expensive power supply you can add for this cable which looks a bit like a copy of Audioquests (patented) DBS system to charge the dielectric

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #3,805 of 4,904
Well if it is an M-scaler it is way bigger than I had hoped it would be.
If so I hope both Rob and Chord has better excuses for it oversize than that it fits well with the design of TT2!
That would be a very lame and imho inexcusable
Wait till you see the price! ...It will be another letdown for you.

Personally I would have liked a smaller form factor as well, but I think a format matching the TT line is good enough a justification. And I can very well live with the TT₂ size.

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #3,806 of 4,904
Bud, Stick to the plan and listen to the DTC cables alongside a properly ferrited set of cables. Don't assume . . . . .
The problem with that is to do an apples to apples comparison I would have to modify two Ansuz DTC cables. I.won’t learn anything using a cable that lacks what the DTC cables can do.
First I want to see how things go with what I have.
Bud

Jul 17, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #3,807 of 4,904
The Ansuz website doesn't reveal much about the Tesla coil but it looks like it is related to eliminating the effects of vibration, whatever they may be.

Many cables come with ferrites but only typically 1 at each end which is not sufficient to eliminate the RF issue talked about here.

It also looks like there is an expensive power supply you can add for this cable which looks a bit like a copy of Audioquests (patented) DBS system to charge the dielectric
The Tesla coil deals with noise in the signal path. It is powered by a power box that can handle all the powered cables. I have both Coax and USB DTC cables and they are connected by a separate wire that comes with each cable.
Bud

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #3,809 of 4,904
Honestly, I have no idea – but certainly outrageous for Christer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back