Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,071 of 4,904
Likely this has been addressed several times but .. Is the Blu dedicated as a transport?

I am not sure exactly what you mean by that question.
Yes Blu2 is a CD transport but it also has the other function that it can take a digital input from another source and then upscale it through it's internal MScaler and then output at 705.6kHz via dual BNC cables to the Chord Dave.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,072 of 4,904
There does seem to be a lack of new owners posting their own feedback as well and there will probably be more reactions coming in when new owners emerge. I was surprised at the apparent length of the waiting list - @ray-dude 6 months? That’s some patience you have!

Paid full in May, getting it today. To be fair, I had an option to get a silver unit 6-8 weeks ago, but held out for the black. Rumor was that the anodizing machine had broken down (and I'm going to keep repeating that rumor because it is great story :wink:

Per earlier posts, it sounds like the FPGA part has enormous lead times. I suspect a supply chain process that didn't anticipate that a sole source part that is the literal heart of $10,000 product should be worth stocking up on well in anticipation of manufacturing ramp. They'll catch up and get in a normal manufacturing rhythm eventually (just in time for the Davina ramp :wink:

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #2,073 of 4,904
Oh, the Davina! :astonished:

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,074 of 4,904
I am not sure exactly what you mean by that question.
Yes Blu2 is a CD transport but it also has the other function that it can take a digital input from another source and then upscale it through it's internal MScaler and then output at 705.6kHz via dual BNC cables to the Chord Dave.
Thanks Triode.. Wondering why DAVE/Blu combo wouldn't deliver an accumulative tap length (i.e. DAVE's 164,000+ Blu's 1mm)

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,076 of 4,904
Paid full in May, getting it today. To be fair, I had an option to get a silver unit 6-8 weeks ago, but held out for the black. Rumor was that the anodizing machine had broken down (and I'm going to keep repeating that rumor because it is great story :wink:

Per earlier posts, it sounds like the FPGA part has enormous lead times. I suspect a supply chain process that didn't anticipate that a sole source part that is the literal heart of $10,000 product should be worth stocking up on well in anticipation of manufacturing ramp. They'll catch up and get in a normal manufacturing rhythm eventually (just in time for the Davina ramp :wink:

Hey, you do know that the black one does not sound quite as good due to the anodising treatment introducing a small degree of noise into the ground plane??

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #2,079 of 4,904
Thanks Triode.. Wondering why DAVE/Blu combo wouldn't deliver an accumulative tap length (i.e. DAVE's 164,000+ Blu's 1mm)
DAVE uses the most taps when it upsamples by a factor of 16x music that starts with 44.1/48KHz sample rate. If you give DAVE music with a sample rate of 16x, which is what Blu 2 does, then DAVE can't apply it's first stage of upsampling, because the sample rate is already at the level that the first stage would normally do.

There's 2 more stages of upsampling in DAVE, to 256x and then to 2048x.

Now playing: Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Spis Li, Milke le (If You Are Sleeping, Milke)

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #2,081 of 4,904
this forum has dried up ...looks like everyone is just listening to music. rightfully so when you have an end-game source...

I don’t know, forum doesn’t have the same appeal anymore since the swap. Before there was always some steady activity in threads, now it comes in bursts with large quiet gaps between.

I find myself not coming back to check very often anymore because there isn’t really enough posts.

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #2,082 of 4,904
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,083 of 4,904
In my circumstance, I had to put the stand on cones (I used golden sound ceramics jumbos), because of my glass shelving in the hi-fi stand. I also tried DAVE without the stand but also had to use the cones. No appreciable difference. The only measuring device was my ears. So I had to use cones and they made a difference but the stand didn't sound-wise. The stand is important in a rack, for me, as the angle it sits in the rack allows easy access to the cables at the rear and the front being at an angle allows the remote control more direct access to the sensor on DAVE's front panel. The angle in the stand does not impede the use of headphones either for those wanting to know that.

Regards
GG

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #2,084 of 4,904
In my circumstance, I had to put the stand on cones (I used golden sound ceramics jumbos), because of my glass shelving in the hi-fi stand. I also tried DAVE without the stand but also had to use the cones. No appreciable difference. The only measuring device was my ears. So I had to use cones and they made a difference but the stand didn't sound-wise. The stand is important in a rack, for me, as the angle it sits in the rack allows easy access to the cables at the rear and the front being at an angle allows the remote control more direct access to the sensor on DAVE's front panel. The angle in the stand does not impede the use of headphones either for those wanting to know that.

Regards
GG
I appreciate your complete and honest answer. $3000 plus is a lot to pay for ergonomics. I also don’t hear a difference using BluDave with and without my Stillpoint Ultras. A couple cheapo IKEA bamboo cutting boards and I’m good to go. For the money you save on stands you could get a Hugo2 to plug into your cell phone on the road or swap out with DAVE when you’re at home and feel the whim.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,085 of 4,904
Mm..just got my Chord Blu MK II after more than 4 months of waiting:

20171201_161501728_iOS.jpg

I never dreamnt of going back to CDs after more than a decade of abandoning it in favor of digital downloads and, eventually, streaming.

Using the stock BNC (dual mode) connection with the DAVE. For experienced Blu MK II users, do you think the machine will perform even better with a different 75 ohm BNC cable? How so? Or is stock just fine? TIA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back