Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced
May 15, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #706 of 1,746
  Just been reading all 47 pages of this discussion. I'm a newby to DACs and it's been very interesting - so much detail from everyone, helps me so much!!

I have a question on partnering equipment. 

I plan to play lossless music from my iMac to 2Qute, via USB. I have an old Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amp - is this completely past it now or will you think i'll be able to hear the benefit still? I'm open to putting my hand in my pocket to buy something else up to £1200

Any advice on partnering speakers would be very much appreciated too, thanks. I've been weighing up PMC, B&W, KEF, etc. Budget probably up to about £1200 again.

Thanks so much, there's so much choice out there it renders my ability to make my mind up, difficult! lol

Nick

The 2 Cute without a doubt will give you bette musicality with your amp. The bass is thunderous and the rest of 2 cute is very musical and will work well with your amp. Not many other DACs in this price range will do what this one does soundwise.

May 15, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #707 of 1,746
The 2 Cute without a doubt will give you bette musicality with your amp. The bass is thunderous and the rest of 2 cute is very musical and will work well with your amp. Not many other DACs in this price range will do what this one does soundwise.

Are there any detailed comparisons between the 2qute and Mojo?

I have the Mojo and found it to be superior to everything I've been able to compare it to but not 2qute.

Thank you.

May 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #708 of 1,746

I have the Mojo and found it to be superior to everything I've been able to compare it to but not 2qute.

Thank you.

I dont have  a mojo in house to make a comparison but 2 cute is based on Chord Hugo DAC which when I heard the Mojo the Hugo was better. I think the difference ein Chord products result sin higher levels of transparency,

May 15, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #709 of 1,746
I just bought a 2Qute yesterday and I´m more than impressed now. Started with 20 hours of burn in connected to my Raspberry 2 with Hifiberry Digi+ board, playing music nonstop through the night and morning with the Amp being off. Later played some music again with the old setup for compare. The old DAC also could do a wide and deep stage and showing a lot of details, if there was a very good recording. Mediocre recordings were not much fun. After that changed for the Chord.

With the 2Qute it´s not just somewhat better sound, it´s a night and day difference. Surprising, stunning, hard to describe. Never heard something like this before in my or my friends stereo setup. Tonal balance is absolutely the same as before, very neutral to my ears.

Played all sort of music MP3 and FLAC files through the day for maybe 12 hours, some FLAC were available as 44.1, 96 and 192 kHz.
You could think FLAC 192 kHz sounds really good and it is for sure, but the 2Qute does the same magic also to 44.1.
192 kHz was a little smoother but 44.1 was not that much behind and very enjoyable. I had also old MP3 files ripped just with Windows Media Player which were no joy at all with the old DAC. With the 2Qute they were very different, of course still no compare to really good FLAC files but you really could listen to them now.
It´s really true what a lot of people tell you about Chord DAC´s. For Hires files there are a few other really good DAC´s as well, but for 44.1 there is no other choice.

When people tell me something about musicality with stereo setups, this sounds too warm, too slow and narrow bandwidth to my ears usually. Yes the 2Qute also is real musical, but still lightning fast.

So the 2Qute has just 30+ hours at the clock now, I can´t imagine what happens after 300 hours of burn in.

For those guys who are not sure which DAC to go for, do yourself a favour and try the 2Qute, Hugo or Mojo. Maybe the shop will lend you one through the weekend. I also was not sure at all, but finally bought the 2Qute without trying before, and I just regret spending too much time with search for the perfect DAC. This was definitely one of my best buys ever.

May 16, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #710 of 1,746

Thank you.

I presume the risk is always that you are 'comparing apples with pears'.

For the Mojo v Hugo, you are comparing the headphone out feed from both.

In contrast Mojo v (2qute + headphone amp) means that there is always the risk that the headphone amp has added colouration or reduced transient response..... So you need to be already familiar with the headphone amp, to make allowance for any impact it has had on the output from the 2qute.  

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #711 of 1,746
Hello, 

I've noticed someone else asking about it on page 40 of this thread without getting an answer....Recently bought 2qute and noticed the light that indicates sample rate doesn't change when different types of files are played. I've tried playing files via different players foobar2000, vlc and deejaysytem software. Now the funny thing is that when I go to control panel/sounds console and enable different types of sampling rate capability for the 2qute specifically and click on the test button it actually changes colours according to specification everytime the sampling rate changes. But when i leave it set at for example 44100 it stays red even if I play a 192k file through foobar, vlc etc. It simply remains at that colour that is set in control panel all the time no matter the sampling rate later played through any player. Surely I'm missing something but I haven't got a clue what could be the reason. Can anyone help or explain? windows 7, via usb. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #712 of 1,746
Is it possible software downsamples everything to 44.1K?

I don´t play by computer but use a Raspberry based player what plays anything to the 2Qute through coax and colors change correctly to files, up to 352K or DSD.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #713 of 1,746
Speaking of power supply for the 2Qute, somebody checked battery power vs really good LPS?

I was completely unsure which LPS to go for as I didn´t want to spend money at wrong place so I tried a 12 volt battery maybe one week ago and never returned to the provided PS as the difference is huge, at least with my setup. So wonder now if the battery could outperform a really good LPS or if it still makes sense?

If someone tried battery vs LPS please post your findings, especially those who own Teddy Pardo, Hynes or other really good LPS.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #714 of 1,746
  Is it possible software downsamples everything to 44.1K?

I don´t play by computer but use a Raspberry based player what plays anything to the 2Qute through coax and colors change correctly to files, up to 352K or DSD.

I wouldn't know if it downsamples or upsamples since the colour also stays blue all the time if I enable and test 192k in control panel and the play 44.1 files. I've been told that using jriver media centre solves the problem, but I've read in this thread that many people use foobar and I dont hear them complain about it (I don't know if they are pc or mac users). I'd like to make it work in the foobar player if possible and not be dependent on one specific software playing any other material from pc. I use other software for music and video editing and would realy like 2qute to be compatible with it playing any sample rate.... If it is not, the company producing it should let us know that and I haven't read anything about it in this thread nor anywhere else. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #715 of 1,746
Speaking of power supply for the 2Qute, somebody checked battery power vs really good LPS?
Try the S booster BOTW makes a huge difference in sound quality.

I was completely unsure which LPS to go for as I didn´t want to spend money at wrong place so I tried a 12 volt battery maybe one week ago and never returned to the provided PS as the difference is huge, at least with my setup. So wonder now if the battery could outperform a really good LPS or if it still makes sense?

If someone tried battery vs LPS please post your findings, especially those who own Teddy Pardo, Hynes or other really good LPS.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #716 of 1,746
  I wouldn't know if it downsamples or upsamples since the colour also stays blue all the time if I enable and test 192k in control panel and the play 44.1 files. I've been told that using jriver media centre solves the problem, but I've read in this thread that many people use foobar and I dont hear them complain about it (I don't know if they are pc or mac users). I'd like to make it work in the foobar player if possible and not be dependent on one specific software playing any other material from pc. I use other software for music and video editing and would realy like 2qute to be compatible with it playing any sample rate.... If it is not, the company producing it should let us know that and I haven't read anything about it in this thread nor anywhere else. 

Did you install windows drivers for the 2Qute?

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #719 of 1,746
  Yes I heard this is a very good LPS as well. Did you check S booster BOTW vs battery power? If so which batteryNo i

No i did not . I think the S Booster is a better option you don't have to charge or to change the battery al the time. The voltage of the s booster always is stable . That of a battery goes back during use. The  S booster is 1000 times more quite and cleaner  than a battery . The 2Qute sound amazing  with the S Bootster and is worth every penny .

Vertaling voor de spanning blijft altijd op hetzelfde niveau terwijl die van een batterij terug loopt door het gebruik . Vertaal in plaats daarvan naar de spanning blijft altijd op het zelfde niveau terwijl die van een batterij terug loopt door het gebruik .

the voltage always remains at the same level

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div id="inner-editor"></div>

Vertaling voor de spanning blijft altijd op hetzelfde niveau terwijl die van een batterij terug loopt door het gebruik . Vertaal in plaats daarvan naar de spanning blijft altijd op het zelfde niveau terwijl die van een batterij terug loopt door het gebruik .

the voltage always remains at the same level

Users who are viewing this thread

Back