Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #11,941 of 18,757
It might be silly, but I am testing the mojo/poly with an iPhone headphone, just to make Shure it’s working - it’s a second hand from eBay. Now, I’m planning to get a Campfire Atlas. Do you think I’m gonna have the hiss issue with it?
Thanks.

Well, those look fantastic, but I haven’t heard them. The sensitivity of the Apple EarPods is reported to be 118db, while the Atlas are 105, but with lower impedance (19 vs 45 ohms). I think you will need to hear them. Also, you may want to check out @Deftone ’s comments in the Mojo thread on iems just now.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #11,942 of 18,757
No hiss issues reported on iBasso IT01 108db sensitivity and 16ohms impedance. Only using Airplane mode with SD card playback these days though.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #11,947 of 18,757
Well I'm back in the UK now and testing the update. It's not far away now but it's complex as we have to update the firmware and Android / iOS apps at the same time.

Hi Matt. Can we expect Google Cast/Chromecast functionality arrive on Poly in the upcoming update or in a future update? Apple users have Airplay in order to stream offline content from Spotify/Tidal and can also use the original apps instead of 3rd party. On Android we are missing this feature. There is no way to stream offline content or use Spotify/Tidal apps (only 3rd party ones like AK Connect/BubbleUPNP, etc.) Also, when can we expect the Tidal/Google Music section in the GoFigure app to exit the current Beta?

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #11,948 of 18,757
Here is how I bought the Mojo and the Poly:
  • Two weeks ago I took my 1.5-year old Shure SE846s and went to a music shop to try out different portable DACs: DragonFly Red, Ultrasone Naos, etc. Something small enough to carry along with my phone. They also had a Mojo which was more expensive and quite huge compared to the other DACs, and had wild colorful LEDs but I tried it anyway. I clearly wasn't prepared for the difference. From that moment I was not interested in anything else. The Mojo sounded like a miracle. I didn't realize that my IEMs can sound so good. (I only had a HRT microStreamer before.) I fell in love. Bought the Mojo.
  • The next day I went back to buy the Poly after reading reviews and watching videos. The perfect companion, I thought. The guy asked me whether I was really sure since many people have problems with the Poly: it was cumbersome to set up and use, etc. I told him I am good with gadgets. (And at that time Chord had my trust. Whoever is able to create such a miracle like the Mojo is probably able to create a good extension to it I thought.) So I bought the Poly. At home I had to wait six hours of charging before I could connect it to the Mojo. Then it worked like a charm. First I used it via Airplay but then it turned out that Airplay is limited to 16/44.1 so I bought an SD card.
  • Ever since I can still hardly believe how beautifully the Mojo can render music. So much joy! :ksc75smile:
How I use it:
  • Music synced from iTunes to SD card with Dapper, music play controlled via Glider. Both apps are great, many thanks for the creators!
  • When I am home I use it on Wi-Fi normally. During commuting and in the office I use it in Hot Spot mode (+ hybrid mode, my phone using cellular data, as explained in this video (with the difference that today the Gofigure app can easily switch between modes).

The biggest issue and the solution:
  • Radio frequency interference caused by the nearby phone. Not loud, it's about the same volume as the crackling sounds in LP rips, but not as nice. When the music is on, I cannot really hear it. But in classical music and quiet music, it's quite annoying. Airplane mode helps but even then I can still hear as the Poly communicates via Wi-Fi. For example, I can clearly hear as Glider is syncing the song list after hitting the Sync button, and so on. Strangely I can perfectly shield the MojoPoly with my hand: when I simply hold it the noise is virtually gone.
  • Found the solution in this forum today: @mashuto escribes over multiple posts precisely what I experience. Just like them I am also using sensitive IEMs. The solution is here:
    @Matt Bartlett When I moved my headphones to the jack I normally dont use, the interference is reduced to almost nothing, well within the range of what I would consider acceptable. Move the headphones back to the other jack on the mojo and its back again.
    Silly me, I never tried the other jack! I have been in such a love with this device I just kept listening to music all the time, never disconnected the headphones. Now it's acceptable exactly as @mashuto writes. The good jack for me is the one on the side of the LEDs. @Matt Bartlett: for your information: moving the headphone cable doesn't seem to cause much interference. Just like for @mashuto one jack is clearly worse than the other. And this seems to be a Mojo issue as it does happen without the Poly connected. The other Mojo in the music shop had the same issue, and it wasn't connected to a Poly. Poly is just another nearby radio device causing interferences. @ChordElectronics should properly shield the Mojo. If my hand can shield it alright, technical shielding must be possible.
So everything is fine. The music is amazing! I am so grateful to those who created these devices. They bring so much joy every day. Having the headphones untethered, yet controlled from the phone is perfect. The wild LEDs that looked so strange first have really grown on me, and they are quite expressive since I understood what they represent. The Van Nuys case is a beauty and very practical. Protective thick leather, firmly holding both devices, adding much less bulk compared to the hard case. Beautiful.

This forum is a great help. Thanks you so much for sharing the information.
:punch::blush:

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #11,949 of 18,757
Silly me, I never tried the other jack! I have been in such a love with this device I just kept listening to music all the time, never disconnected the headphones. Now it's acceptable exactly as @mashuto writes. The good jack for me is the one on the side of the LEDs. @Matt Bartlett: for your information: moving the headphone cable doesn't seem to cause much interference. Just like for @mashuto one jack is clearly worse than the other. And this seems to be a Mojo issue as it does happen without the Poly connected. The other Mojo in the music shop had the same issue, and it wasn't connected to a Poly. Poly is just another nearby radio device causing interferences. @ChordElectronics should properly shield the Mojo. If my hand can shield it alright, technical shielding must be possible.

I am glad you found my post useful, the way you describe it is exactly what I hear. Noise and interference every time the poly communicates via wifi. You hear it when glider syncs, I can hear it even when scrolling through my dlna library (as I am sure it refreshes and updates dynamically as I scroll). Switching to the jack definitely helped, in some cases. And just like you, the better jack is the one closer to the LED control balls on the mojo.

However, I should also note that if you read on further as I continued that initial discussion, @Matt Bartlett and @Mojo ideas both let me know after I posted that, that there should be no difference between the two mojo jacks in terms of shielding. However, the difference I heard was real. I should also mention though that the improvement I heard was only in certain situations. At home, sitting at my desk, it worked ok in that jack (still bad in the other), but doing the same thing at work yielded no improvements at all from the different jacks. In that case I dont know if its because the wireless interference at work is greater, or because I use my phones hotspot and not a separate wifi network, or what. But switching the jack made no difference there, so it is unfortunately a solution that only seems to work some of the time and in some specific circumstance that I am unsure what it is.

It is a real shame because the mojo sounds excellent otherwise, and the poly is a very nice addon, even with all the growing pains and difficulties getting it to where it is now (and there is still more than needs to be done). But, the interference is really really frustrating and extremely disappointing that it is so noticeable on a product that costs combined about $1200 dollars in the US. And worse is that it seems like there is nothing actually wrong with my units, its just that with sensitive IEMs, it picks up interference. Doubly frustrating too is that the interference is known on the mojo, yet it was supposed to be from using USB. The poly was supposed to eliminate that, but seems to have had no effect or possibly introduced even more intereference, at least for me when using my headphones of choice. I should also note again that using it with something like my Senn HD6XX, and I cant hear the interference at all.

But the whole point of getting these units for me was for portable use, for use with my IEMs. All I have for comparison is a little rinky dink $100 dollar earstudio ES100. Sure it doesnt have wifi, but it uses bluetooth and is dead silent. And the interference unfortunately gets under my skin enough (among some of the other issues, like the poly battery dies after a couple weeks even when powered off) that I barely ever use my mojo/poly.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #11,950 of 18,757
Well I'm back in the UK now and testing the update. It's not far away now but it's complex as we have to update the firmware and Android / iOS apps at the same time.

Can we have the Chromecast support in next update please ?
It will be so convenient for Android users to Cast from many streaming services, even though its only 320 Kbps, i am happy with the Mojo output.

If the next update doesn't contain Chromecast support, please let us know, at least we will have a peace of mind and wait for next update. :)

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #11,951 of 18,757
Can we have the Chromecast support in next update please ?
It will be so convenient for Android users to Cast from many streaming services, even though its only 320 Kbps, i am happy with the Mojo output.

If the next update doesn't contain Chromecast support, please let us know, at least we will have a peace of mind and wait for next update. :)

No the current update we are working on does not include Chromecast. We are still in discussions with Google to try and make this happen.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #11,952 of 18,757
I am glad you found my post useful, the way you describe it is exactly what I hear. Noise and interference every time the poly communicates via wifi. You hear it when glider syncs, I can hear it even when scrolling through my dlna library (as I am sure it refreshes and updates dynamically as I scroll). Switching to the jack definitely helped, in some cases. And just like you, the better jack is the one closer to the LED control balls on the mojo.

However, I should also note that if you read on further as I continued that initial discussion, @Matt Bartlett and @Mojo ideas both let me know after I posted that, that there should be no difference between the two mojo jacks in terms of shielding. However, the difference I heard was real. I should also mention though that the improvement I heard was only in certain situations. At home, sitting at my desk, it worked ok in that jack (still bad in the other), but doing the same thing at work yielded no improvements at all from the different jacks. In that case I dont know if its because the wireless interference at work is greater, or because I use my phones hotspot and not a separate wifi network, or what. But switching the jack made no difference there, so it is unfortunately a solution that only seems to work some of the time and in some specific circumstance that I am unsure what it is.

It is a real shame because the mojo sounds excellent otherwise, and the poly is a very nice addon, even with all the growing pains and difficulties getting it to where it is now (and there is still more than needs to be done). But, the interference is really really frustrating and extremely disappointing that it is so noticeable on a product that costs combined about $1200 dollars in the US. And worse is that it seems like there is nothing actually wrong with my units, its just that with sensitive IEMs, it picks up interference. Doubly frustrating too is that the interference is known on the mojo, yet it was supposed to be from using USB. The poly was supposed to eliminate that, but seems to have had no effect or possibly introduced even more intereference, at least for me when using my headphones of choice. I should also note again that using it with something like my Senn HD6XX, and I cant hear the interference at all.

But the whole point of getting these units for me was for portable use, for use with my IEMs. All I have for comparison is a little rinky dink $100 dollar earstudio ES100. Sure it doesnt have wifi, but it uses bluetooth and is dead silent. And the interference unfortunately gets under my skin enough (among some of the other issues, like the poly battery dies after a couple weeks even when powered off) that I barely ever use my mojo/poly.

Hi @mashuto out of curiosity do you still have the noise if you use Mojo/Poly with Bluetooth only and put Poly in Airplane mode?

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #11,953 of 18,757
No the current update we are working on does not include Chromecast. We are still in discussions with Google to try and make this happen.

Thank you for prompt reply. We will wait for next to next update then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back