Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 7, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #11,971 of 18,835
Yes it's really important to keep the phone away from the cable or jack of these sensitive IEM's otherwise you will pick up noise. Essentially the cable acts like a massive antenna.
On Poly the same applies that if the IEM cable runs close to the black plastic antenna window then it can pick up noise.
I should add that this only happens on a few of the really sensitive IEMs.
Originally IEM's were designed for stage and live sound use where the receiver packs/amplifiers are low power and the extra sensitivity was required to get enough gain so the artist could actually hear the foldback track over the PA on stage. The downside to this high sensitivity is that it can reveal induced noise from high power radio transmitters built into products such as mobile phones. Hopefully this will help to explain why this is happening.

This all makes sense, but the noise I hear happens regardless of whether the phone is close to the poly or farther away, and regardless of whether the IEM cable is next to the antenna window or not (though worse when right next to it). From my laymens understanding of whats going on, the noise is being generated (or at least transmitted) by the wifi radio on the poly and then send directly to the mojo, so no amount of fiddling seems to reduce it, since its internal at that point. Maybe internal shielding could have helped... maybe not. And I should mention that using the same IEMs on my phone I hear no radio interference noise.

So, it seems at this point that there is nothing wrong with my mojo or poly, and that they just dont play as nicely with sensitive IEMs. I really wouldnt be making as big a deal over this, but at the price point, I dont think its too much of an ask to not have that interference. As I mentioned its annoying enough to me that I barely use it anymore. So, if there really is nothing to be done about this and thats just the way the mojo and poly are, it might be time for me to move on from them, as much as I love the sound the rest of the time.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #11,972 of 18,835
I have a small issue with connection.

I connect Poly via Mobile hotspot. The thing is that BubbleUPNP can't recognize Poly even when it's connected to the Hotspot.
Is there any trick to connect flawlessly ? I even uninstalled Gofigure app which may cause issues.

Please give your valuable tips :)

Feb 8, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #11,973 of 18,835
I have a small issue with connection.

I connect Poly via Mobile hotspot. The thing is that BubbleUPNP can't recognize Poly even when it's connected to the Hotspot.
Is there any trick to connect flawlessly ? I even uninstalled Gofigure app which may cause issues.

Please give your valuable tips :)

Gofigure shouldn't affect the operation of BubbleUPnP so you can keep it running. The first thing to check is whether you have Airplane or Roon mode switched on by mistake - toggle them both on then off to be certain. Also do you have an SD card installed in Poly? Poly will only appear as a music server in Bubble ( or any DLNA app ) if an SD card is inserted.

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #11,974 of 18,835
So I just picked up a nice new pair of IEMs that are not quite as sensitive, and I can definitely say that interference is pretty much completely gone.

However, I keep running into another issue thats incredibly frustrating now that I am trying to use it again. It seems that the DLNA renderer keeps dying. I will be playing via dlna and then the audio stutters and cuts out. And I cannot connect back to it. I can still browse the dlna library, just cant render out to the poly. One time it came back up. Other times I would have to restart it to get it back, and sometimes I would restart it and I still couldnt render out to the poly. MPD worked, browsing the library via dlna worked, quickplay via mpd playlists worked, but... just couldnt do any playback via dlna.

Edit: Hopefully a factory reset has solved it. Still really wanna be able to use the mojopoly since it sounds great, but we will see.

Edit 2: Spoke too soon, after about 20-30 minutes of playback, it appears that dlna renderer has died again. Audio just went out and cant play anything back and keep getting errors in the app I am using. (SetAVTransportURI error: response=null)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #11,975 of 18,835
So I just picked up a nice new pair of IEMs that are not quite as sensitive, and I can definitely say that interference is pretty much completely gone.

However, I keep running into another issue thats incredibly frustrating now that I am trying to use it again. It seems that the DLNA renderer keeps dying. I will be playing via dlna and then the audio stutters and cuts out. And I cannot connect back to it. I can still browse the dlna library, just cant render out to the poly. One time it came back up. Other times I would have to restart it to get it back, and sometimes I would restart it and I still couldnt render out to the poly. MPD worked, browsing the library via dlna worked, quickplay via mpd playlists worked, but... just couldnt do any playback via dlna.

Edit: Hopefully a factory reset has solved it. Still really wanna be able to use the mojopoly since it sounds great, but we will see.

Edit 2: Spoke too soon, after about 20-30 minutes of playback, it appears that dlna renderer has died again. Audio just went out and cant play anything back and keep getting errors in the app I am using. (SetAVTransportURI error: response=null)
Could that be because the link to your source was broken in some way after 20 minutes ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #11,976 of 18,835
I do pick up the chirping noise, I can pick it up with my Yamaha studio headphones as well. My ears are very sensitive. I pick it up when Poly starts searching for a WiFi connection or browsing through SD card. Once it starts playing without me tinkering with MPD apps then no more chirping I pick up.

It's not RFI, I used to have it with my Mojo, ever since I got Poly that issue isn't present anymore.

Feb 9, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #11,977 of 18,835
Could that be because the link to your source was broken in some way after 20 minutes ?

How would that happen? And why wouldn't I be able to reatablish a connection, sometimes even after restarting the poly? And why wouldn't would I still be able to browse the dlna library on the ad card just fine?

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #11,978 of 18,835
How would that happen? And why wouldn't I be able to reatablish a connection, sometimes even after restarting the poly? And why wouldn't would I still be able to browse the dlna library on the ad card just fine?
Not sure, but beware a poly on low battery, as it still light up and browsing is possible but playback is not. So try on a full charge to see if it’s not that.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #11,979 of 18,835
Not sure, but beware a poly on low battery, as it still light up and browsing is possible but playback is not. So try on a full charge to see if it’s not that.

Definitely not the battery, was coming off a full charge yesterday, and was only down to green last night when I was using it.

I even tried re-indexing the dlna database. Maybe I need to format my sd card and start fresh.

Either way, when it happens, everything else still works, I just can't connect to the poly as a dlna renderer anymore.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #11,980 of 18,835
Definitely not the battery, was coming off a full charge yesterday, and was only down to green last night when I was using it.

I even tried re-indexing the dlna database. Maybe I need to format my sd card and start fresh.

Either way, when it happens, everything else still works, I just can't connect to the poly as a dlna renderer anymore.
Could some other device be stealing the poly mpd server ip address ?
Do you have any other devices which use a fixed ip address ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #11,981 of 18,835
Could some other device be stealing the poly mpd server ip address ?
Do you have any other devices which use a fixed ip address ?

The poly IP is handled by dhcp on my router and I keep my static IPs on my network outside the dhcp range. I mean it's possible, but as I mentioned, mpd still works, it's the dlna renderer that stops working, everything else continues to work fine, and my router would have to be double assigning the IP address which seems unlikely.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #11,982 of 18,835
The poly IP is handled by dhcp on my router and I keep my static IPs on my network outside the dhcp range. I mean it's possible, but as I mentioned, mpd still works, it's the dlna renderer that stops working, everything else continues to work fine, and my router would have to be double assigning the IP address which seems unlikely.
Perhaps try hotspot mode vs network mode to see if it’s stable in either configuration ?

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #11,983 of 18,835
Perhaps try hotspot mode vs network mode to see if it’s stable in either configuration ?

I'll give it a try later when I have time. But that's all well and good, but if I can't use it or fix it when connected to my normal network, that's still a big issue for me.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #11,984 of 18,835
I'll give it a try later when I have time. But that's all well and good, but if I can't use it or fix it when connected to my normal network, that's still a big issue for me.
Totally, just trying to see if experimentation might shed some light.

Feb 9, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #11,985 of 18,835
Totally, just trying to see if experimentation might shed some light.

Just turned poly on for the first time since last night. DLNA renderer just completely offline, from a fresh boot. So I changed over to hotspot mode, and it does appear that the dlna server is up and working, but using the poly in hotspot mode is really not an option as I have to not only log into a wifi network that I can only use for controlling the poly, but I also have to turn off mobile data too or else my phone ignores the wifi network (since it has no internet). I also dont have enough time right now to listen long enough to see if it will stop working after some time.

I also did switch back over to regular wifi mode and the renderer seems to be up. I guess thats one way to bring it back up should it fail... but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back