Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #10,276 of 18,775
The Roon app has no connection whatsoever with the Poly. It’s only the Roon Core that is communicating with the Poly. You can turn off your phone and music will keep playing.

I’m not questioning the observations, just saying that there must be another explanation. Perhaps wth the Roon app closed, the phone is instigating some mischievous behavior from Poly? Sometimes there are unexpected side effects.

It might have something to do with repeated WiFi scanning of Poly... I don't know. I'm just experimenting.

I have a strong WiFi network, plus I put the Poly next to the router (Asus RT-AC86U)

Yesterday I changed the WiFi channel on my router to have less influence from the 13 neighbouring WiFi networks, restarted the router, started Poly, connected to Roon and for 10 minutes everything worked without any problems.

15 min later I put Roon in the background again on my iPad, surfed, went back to Roon and playback stopped again. Poly lost its connection again.

But why would opening or closing the Roon Remote app on Android or Apple have an influence on Poly losing its connection with Roon Core if WiFi is stable?

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected via WiFi to Roon Core, and use an app on my phone to control the Squeezebox Touch. So, the same scenario and no problem at all.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #10,277 of 18,775
Made an account here to try and patch things up with Poly. She is stretching my patience wafer thin with constant glitching and loss of connectivity. I use her mostly during my morning commute, and rarely arrive at work without wanting to throw her out of my window. I have her in Wi-fi mode, using my phone's hotspot to connect. Enabling Poly's own wi-fi network seems to yield even more glitching. I'm using Glider to read the micro sd card. I've seen some others mention the connectivity issues are because Poly is looking for other networks in busy areas. If that's the case, why would it be looking for additional connections at all if my phone is 2 ft away? Has anyone been able to fix this? Every time I get in my car and turn Poly on now, I start shaking. This is not the experience I was hoping for...

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm one of the people that's been talking about busy areas causing dropouts, but I use airplay. I walk through bloomsbury and then through kings cross station on an evening, with Poly in my back pocket and my iPhone in my front pocket. The iPhone is in hotspot mode and poly is connected to it. I stream either spotify or podcasts from the phone. As soon as I walk into the station I get glitches and dropouts. Once the train has left the station, things get better again.

But then I got dropouts on Friday sat at my desk next to a wireless access point (google wifi) with the iPad next to the poly, this time streaming music from my DLNA server (jRiver) using an iPad as a remote..

I don't know how glider works, whether there's actually data streaming to from the phone to the poly or not. I thought I read something about data streaming from the poly to the phone and back again. If that's the case, then a strong, consistent wifi signal is going to be essential. Using the quickplay should mean that the phone is just a remote to control playback on the poly and there should be no skips or glitches whatsoever. Is that the case for you? I'd use something like Cantata to create some playlists and see if that works.

Someone above mentioned they get no issues 95% of the time, I think that's probably about right but the problem is that those 5% are infuriating. It can end up with me needing to reboot both the poly and the phone which is a pain when you're rushing for a train.

Sorry I don't have better advice

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #10,278 of 18,775
I'm one of the people that's been talking about busy areas causing dropouts, but I use airplay. I walk through bloomsbury and then through kings cross station on an evening, with Poly in my back pocket and my iPhone in my front pocket. The iPhone is in hotspot mode and poly is connected to it. I stream either spotify or podcasts from the phone. As soon as I walk into the station I get glitches and dropouts. Once the train has left the station, things get better again.

But then I got dropouts on Friday sat at my desk next to a wireless access point (google wifi) with the iPad next to the poly, this time streaming music from my DLNA server (jRiver) using an iPad as a remote..

I don't know how glider works, whether there's actually data streaming to from the phone to the poly or not. I thought I read something about data streaming from the poly to the phone and back again. If that's the case, then a strong, consistent wifi signal is going to be essential. Using the quickplay should mean that the phone is just a remote to control playback on the poly and there should be no skips or glitches whatsoever. Is that the case for you? I'd use something like Cantata to create some playlists and see if that works.

Someone above mentioned they get no issues 95% of the time, I think that's probably about right but the problem is that those 5% are infuriating. It can end up with me needing to reboot both the poly and the phone which is a pain when you're rushing for a train.

Sorry I don't have better advice

Thanks for your input. I think it might have something to do with being around busy areas. I don't experience nearly as much glitching when listening on a highway as I do when driving around town. I wish I could access log files or something to see what is going on..

Jul 28, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #10,279 of 18,775
Sorry for you. My Poly works exactly as expected in Roon mode. Maybe someone else has had the issue? Also, can you see Poly in your router home page and I see it connect/disconnecting? Maybe there is a setting to prioritize it?

I have a similar issue with Roon. My solution is to not pay $500 for that software, because it still is not consistent in its connections. There are no real settings so I am not sure what is going on when it doesn’t connect. The Remote drops are real as well, making the remote useless for changes on the fly unless you don’t mind your music stopping.

I haven’t had it drop using airplay. Of course this is the replacement that I just got about 2 weeks ago, the first poly would only connect to Roon twice in several months.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #10,280 of 18,775
The Roon app has no connection whatsoever with the Poly. It’s only the Roon Core that is communicating with the Poly. You can turn off your phone and music will keep playing.

I’m not questioning the observations, just saying that there must be another explanation. Perhaps wth the Roon app closed, the phone is instigating some mischievous behavior from Poly? Sometimes there are unexpected side effects. For an unrelated example, when playing from an SD card in hotspot mode, everything works perfectly for me. But without hotspot mode, the Poly scans every six seconds causing a dropout. The only solution for me is airplane mode. On a weak network where Poly is already susceptible to drops outs, I wouldn’t rule out anything.
Yes the 6 Second thing is Chord putting an extremely lazy method in place. According to Chord support airplane mode is the only way to stop it other than deleting all of the known wifi networks. If there are no stored networks it will not scan and drop at the 6 second intervals.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #10,281 of 18,775
Made an account here to try and patch things up with Poly. She is stretching my patience wafer thin with constant glitching and loss of connectivity. I use her mostly during my morning commute, and rarely arrive at work without wanting to throw her out of my window. I have her in Wi-fi mode, using my phone's hotspot to connect. Enabling Poly's own wi-fi network seems to yield even more glitching. I'm using Glider to read the micro sd card. I've seen some others mention the connectivity issues are because Poly is looking for other networks in busy areas. If that's the case, why would it be looking for additional connections at all if my phone is 2 ft away? Has anyone been able to fix this? Every time I get in my car and turn Poly on now, I start shaking. This is not the experience I was hoping for...

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had similar issues with my first Poly, Chord refused to refund my money after many weeks of back and forth with their support even though it was defective. They did however advise me to return to the store and swap for a new one. Thankfully my local shop was kind and acknowledged that they don’t recommend Poly to anyone because of the high percentage of Polys coming back by angry customers, but they replaced it.

After the swap there was clearly changed hardware in its action and the new poly works about 85%-90% without issue using airplay, MALP (android MPD), Bubble UPnP (android), and 50-60% with Roon though the situation being described here recently and shown in the video of dropping when the remote connects is nearly 100% repeatable the same as that video.

For Roon, does your poly show as uncertified? This seems odd since their logo shows up on the Roon website and the mojo info is in the software. image.jpg

I am holding off on paying for Roon as the Poly is the only device I have for it currently and the remote/dropping problem would drive me nuts after spending another $500 just to enable slightly better sound out of the Poly.

Anyway, since Chord have been so slow to release the android app, I resort to bringing an iPad to work in order to ensure I can get the most functionality, such as stream Spotify/Tidal Downloads over airplay while both devices are tethered to my phone (it actually works most of the time), this is the bandaid since Chord have not fully integrated as was advertised. Unfortunately for us waiting on the app, many Android users also have iPads or an iOS device that we have downloaded their app and use that way so Chord believes that most of their users are on iOS, when the reality is most android users are FORCED to use our iPads/old iPhone just so we can band-aid the missing advertised features.

With the Poly, under US/UK law I am shocked that there have not been legal suits for false / fraudulent advertising. (Still no “full spotify / tidal integration” nor android app as currently still shown in the manual posted on their website). Chord did remove the printed manual from the box on the Poly I got as a replacement and took Google Play store off the printed card that directs you to the online manual, but still show Apple Store logo next to the app. I am not sure what this means but it is a change from the first Poly coming with a full printed manual showing both app stores.2ECFD0E7-EE69-4BEB-B688-94BE852160A7.jpeg

If I could do this over again, at a minimum I would have returned the-poly within two weeks for a refund, Mojo with the USB was fine. Unfortunately I had a business trip and couldn’t return before the shop policy ended so bad luck there. If it is still an option for you, I think you will save yourself a lot of frustration. I am lucky to use Apple MacBook and have an iPad, I guess those who prefer only PC/Android would need an airplay emulator.

Chord needs to wake up and realize even if they make excellent technology they need to make a FULLY FINISHED consumer product, and not release half baked garbage on to the public while relying on customers to band-aid their laziness. The best tech does not automatically equal good customer experiences nor make for a lasting customer base.

I think Chord could probably make more money licensing their tech to a large company who can actually make good consumer ready products allowing them to focus on what they do best which is the Development.

Unfortunately selling Chord stuff is not a simple option without eating 60%+ of the cost since most of the people in my area (who are in this extremely tiny niche market) do their research and know Chord’s problems, so there are several used units sitting on the shelves basically brand new at 30% discounts (with shop warranty/return window) so the shop wont buy these back for even pennies on the dollar. If I sold it privately I know they would find me and demand their money back since it doesn’t work 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #10,282 of 18,775
Warning long post ahead.... Grab your floaties.

I know chord has a lot of weight on their shoulders but in all honesty, I'm still patient and calm about the whole situation. I think chord simply took the veil off the product too soon. We all clamored for more more more and hated on chord for not heeding our calls. Then we hated on chord for answering the call but not giving more information. Then we hated them cause we got more information but no eta. Then we hated them......so I understand they are trying their best to do as much as they can in as short as time as possible but I do feel that they are doing the right thing and that is sinply delaying it until it's "right" I do believe that they really could use the stage to just say hey guys here's the deal......and open up the floor and say this is where we are at and if you want to join in jump on board just be advised we are rough on the edges. We are already beta testing the hardware. Let us help with the software...we just have to be civil and not want to tear them a new rear end every time they throw us a bone that's all. My video was my polite way of expressing my disappointment in the experience I am having. It's not a rant or light your torches and let's start the witch hunt deal. I'm just sad that there's so much great technologies that are sinply not coexisting too well. I think chord should implement Google cast and cease the Roon development in the mean time. It would be easier to please millions with a great solution then please hundreds with the half baked situation since we don't know if this a Roon thing or a poly thing. The fact that other end points work just fine doesn't just mean that poly is the problem... Chord and Roon have to open up their source codes a little more to each other if they expect to get along....

Or just ditch gofigure and make it all controlled through a web front end or ssh if need be. The hardware is capable of so much. Open up the apis and let passionate audiophiles with programming knowledge do the work for you. Even if they end up charging I would still pay for the experience.

Jul 28, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #10,283 of 18,775
^
Not long at all. I still have quite a bit of floaty left.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #10,284 of 18,775
I still think that Poly losing its connection with Roon when opening or closing the Roon app has to do with Poly's WiFi functionality.

When Poly was connected to my WiFi network, I looked into my Asus router's interface and clicked on the button to see a list of connected devices. As soon as I did that, Poly dropped its connection, why?
All my other devices stayed connected.

And why do Poly and Roon work well together in the case of other people here? That means it's possible...

I really like the Poly/Mono combo with Roon and would just like to figure out how to make it work all the time.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #10,286 of 18,775
With poly connected to roon core am i right in saying that poly only interacts with the roon core over the home wifi network? In this case if using an iphone as roon remote as an eg it was stated that if you turn off the iphone polymojo will continue playing music. Therefore is the iphone remote sending instructions to the roon core which in turn sends instructions to mojopoly. Explanation here would be great. So there is no network connection between phone remote and poly? Thanks MK.

Jul 29, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #10,287 of 18,775
With poly connected to roon core am i right in saying that poly only interacts with the roon core over the home wifi network? In this case if using an iphone as roon remote as an eg it was stated that if you turn off the iphone polymojo will continue playing music. Therefore is the iphone remote sending instructions to the roon core which in turn sends instructions to mojopoly. Explanation here would be great. So there is no network connection between phone remote and poly? Thanks MK.
As a related experiment, to posters having problems with Roon: what happens if you leave the phone off and control Roon from the desktop?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #10,290 of 18,775
If I control Roon with the desktop it behaves perfectly fine. The reason why I suggested the chromecast emulation is because then I won't need to depend on incredibly specific applications to accomplish my task. Almost every media player supports chromecast, even tidal's native client supports it. I figured chrome cast was a better alternative than the buggy roon experience I and some others have dealt with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back