Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 30, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #10,291 of 18,821
It might have something to do with repeated WiFi scanning of Poly... I don't know. I'm just experimenting.

I have a strong WiFi network, plus I put the Poly next to the router (Asus RT-AC86U)

Yesterday I changed the WiFi channel on my router to have less influence from the 13 neighbouring WiFi networks, restarted the router, started Poly, connected to Roon and for 10 minutes everything worked without any problems.

15 min later I put Roon in the background again on my iPad, surfed, went back to Roon and playback stopped again. Poly lost its connection again.

But why would opening or closing the Roon Remote app on Android or Apple have an influence on Poly losing its connection with Roon Core if WiFi is stable?

I have a Squeezebox Touch connected via WiFi to Roon Core, and use an app on my phone to control the Squeezebox Touch. So, the same scenario and no problem at all.

I have a similar issue with Roon when using the remote. When opening or sometimes closing the app there seems to be a burst of energy that interrupts the wifi signal momentarily. It also happens when searching for music on the roon app. I saw earlier in the thread that this is a known issue at chord and is expected to be fixed in a poly update. Don’t hold your breath waiting though.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #10,292 of 18,821
Yipes! With Roon endpoint support the $35 Chromecast Audio is doing what I wanted Poly to do at home...
It's a bona fide audiophile bargain.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #10,293 of 18,821
If I control Roon with the desktop it behaves perfectly fine. The reason why I suggested the chromecast emulation is because then I won't need to depend on incredibly specific applications to accomplish my task. Almost every media player supports chromecast, even tidal's native client supports it. I figured chrome cast was a better alternative than the buggy roon experience I and some others have dealt with.

20180730_223538.jpg
Your problem (and mine) is definitely in the Chord Poly. I just got a raspberry pi 3b+ an hour ago. Set it up in about 30 minutes with Volumio2 and the Roon Bridge. I'm not a programmer so this not hard. Airplay worked immediately and the Spotify plugin is one click.

Roon Streams fine upsampling DSD and has no similar issue on the roon remote. It costs $35, an old phone charger and a USB cable. Oh and there is an Android app for $.99.

It's just a proof of concept to show this stuff isn't difficult. A lot of people spent a lot more time trying to get their poly to work.

This is why I am frustrated with the defense of Chord dropping this turd on the market 8 months ago and still having issues. Meanwhile they are out pushing the latest products at canjam so how much resources are really being spent on the customers that already spent their cash?

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #10,294 of 18,821
Whilst I'm here a quick update on Android GoFigure for you all.
We are running more tests and have some tweaks to finish on the user interface but we are really not far from releasing the beta test now.

Below are a few screenshots.

Anyone who hasn't already registered and wants to be part of the beta test should email betatest@chordelectronics.co.uk.

Thanks!

Been over month now since this was posted and no news, can we get an update? I would ask for some kind of release date, but at this point I really would much rather just have some information as to whats going on with the development here. App still being worked on? What about other features, like google cast?

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #10,296 of 18,821
I still don't regret buying the hardware, as it's perfectly understated, yet satisfyingly robust at the same time. Plus buying British gives me a sense of pride. However, I have of late let my disappointment at the app situation spill over into this thread. What is taking them so long? And even when it's available (I have no reason to disbelieve it's being worked on, despite the delay), it's never going to be perfect.

Still, give us something to go on, please! Don't come in here and tell us the beta will be available soon, then disappear with no further update reports.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #10,297 of 18,821
I still don't regret buying the hardware, as it's perfectly understated, yet satisfyingly robust at the same time. Plus buying British gives me a sense of pride. However, I have of late let my disappointment at the app situation spill over into this thread. What is taking them so long? And even when it's available (I have no reason to disbelieve it's being worked on, despite the delay), it's never going to be perfect.

Still, give us something to go on, please! Don't come in here and tell us the beta will be available soon, then disappear with no further update reports.

The android app situation is extremely disappointing, and the silence from chord is doubly so. Though, unlike you, I have some regrets buying it. This thing was advertised and sold to us with a feature set that was essentially going to take the place of other players/daps. It would playback any local content we threw at it (it does do that, quite well) but also be a wireless device we could stream to. As an android user, the second use case still is very much lacking as the only way to stream reliably and easily is via bluetooth. Of course, it doesnt support any of the decent bluetooth codecs. Chord said many times that bluetooth wasnt meant for streaming music on the poly and then went on the claim that including support for any better codecs would make it too large or etc etc (my radsone es100 says otherwise... granted I am sure that has a more modern bluetooth chip).

So, I essentially have an 1100-1200 dollar brick that I barely use now because one of the main things I wanted it for (streaming audio from the internet) just really is subpar with android, even though the product was sold to us and advertised to have those features added (google cast). And we still dont even have gofigure, which would only help make the listening process that much smoother. Every release window chord has promised has been missed by huge amounts, and then when things didnt go their way, they decided to blame the users and eventually it seems like they have just abandoned the thread. And to make matters worse, whenever I actually want to go use my poly, the battery is dead because it drains on its own when powered off.

Come on chord. I bought your products because of your reputation, but this is crap. At least be active and give us some updates. It feels like you guys have just abandoned this thing, and if thats the case, you should at least have the decency to tell us that so that we can stop putting effort into a half finished product and that even though we might have wasted our money, others wont need to.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #10,299 of 18,821
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #10,300 of 18,821
The reason for our limited responses on the forum recently is that we needed some time to decide whether we could still contribute to this particular thread. Just recently there have been false postings and insults thrown around between forum members that brought into question the validity of trying to communicate anything about Poly through this platform.

I acknowledge that the Poly user experience is not perfect for everyone but we are continuing to work on both Poly and its wider platform and this is not affected by any other products we might announce in the meantime.

Very simply, the sheer number of devices that Poly can be used with and the possible configurations mean that we cannot easily provide solutions on a live platform such as Head-Fi which rarely affords us the time or stability to solve a technical issue to the satisfaction of all parties. If you need support from us, or direct answers then please use the accepted technical support channels such as info@chordelectronics.co.uk. Rest assured inquiries are NOT being 'filed' or ignored, they are being dealt with and data being accrued to improve Poly.

Work has continued with the Android app. Yes it has been longer than anticipated but nothing is ever straightforward and problems have arisen along the way we needed to fix. I could have sent out a version for beta testing a couple of weeks ago but rightly or wrongly I decided it was better to hold off and have some more updates first. We have been working on this updated version again today and once we are happy this can be released to beta testers.

Once again, I need to point out that work has not stopped on Poly and we are working on further updates but our focus has been on the Android app as future development roll out will become easier with the app in place. If you want to receive the app when it is available then please register your interest at betatest@chordelectronics.co.uk. The app will only be available via this route initially.

Thanks all.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #10,301 of 18,821
The reason for our limited responses on the forum recently is that we needed some time to decide whether we could still contribute to this particular thread. Just recently there have been false postings and insults thrown around between forum members that brought into question the validity of trying to communicate anything about Poly through this platform.

I acknowledge that the Poly user experience is not perfect for everyone but we are continuing to work on both Poly and its wider platform and this is not affected by any other products we might announce in the meantime.

Very simply, the sheer number of devices that Poly can be used with and the possible configurations mean that we cannot easily provide solutions on a live platform such as Head-Fi which rarely affords us the time or stability to solve a technical issue to the satisfaction of all parties. If you need support from us, or direct answers then please use the accepted technical support channels such as info@chordelectronics.co.uk. Rest assured inquiries are NOT being 'filed' or ignored, they are being dealt with and data being accrued to improve Poly.

Work has continued with the Android app. Yes it has been longer than anticipated but nothing is ever straightforward and problems have arisen along the way we needed to fix. I could have sent out a version for beta testing a couple of weeks ago but rightly or wrongly I decided it was better to hold off and have some more updates first. We have been working on this updated version again today and once we are happy this can be released to beta testers.

Once again, I need to point out that work has not stopped on Poly and we are working on further updates but our focus has been on the Android app as future development roll out will become easier with the app in place. If you want to receive the app when it is available then please register your interest at betatest@chordelectronics.co.uk. The app will only be available via this route initially.

Thanks all.

As a software developer myself, I understand that things are never as straight forward as you intend. There are always unforeseen issues, and things that seem simple to those not in the know can end up being the most difficult or time consuming. But as a paying customer, more communication would be very appreciated. Especially considering my purchasing decision was based on statements made by your company and things listed in the manual that still do not exist, many many months after the product launched.

I also understand that emotions often run high in these forums and that posts can take a negative turn, but I think that the lack of communication is really not doing this product any favors. I have tried to be as emotionless as possible in my posts, and while I know they have been negative lately, I just feel like that negativity towards this product is unfortunately earned, and unfortunately both the communication we have received in the past, and the current lack there of is part of the issue.

Thank you for acknowledging that the user experience is not perfect for everyone. It most certainly is not. The larger problem though is not that the user experience is lacking for some, its that it was sold to us and advertised to us in a way where it shouldnt have been. We were sold this product as a complete product, and it just unfortunately isnt. And here we are maybe 9-10 months since release and it is still not complete. And all we have been left with are promised release dates that have never been met, and features that have been promised that we have no idea if they are even still on the radar. So the fact that it is lacking feels like we were mislead into buying a very expensive product when there are significantly cheaper options (though maybe less elegant) that can achieve the exact same thing.

I want to make it clear that I am not being negative just to be negative, but it comes from a place of wanting this product to actually live up to what I was sold on. I want it to work as advertised to me, and I want it to be the product I use as often as possible. It just is not right now, and without a better understanding of what is happening, we are left in the dark with an incomplete product that we dont know if it will ever be completed.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #10,302 of 18,821

Thanks all.
Matt, I am trying to make this post as constructive as possible.

Part of my job involves managing global communication about product and software development, to tens of thousands of engineers. Yes Chord have been on the receiving end of many frustrated posts, but walking away from this thread, and leaving possibly thousands of your Poly customers completely in the dark, is the last thing that Chord should do.

A while back, possibly on the Mojo thread, @Mojo ideas mentioned that Chord recognised that much of Chords success in recent years, was built/fuelled on the relationship that Chord had built up with customers, and potential customer, via the Head-Fi forum and threads. The feedback that the threads provided Chord was invaluable. Like it or not, the main interfaces between Chord and probably 99% of Chord owners or potential customers, are the Chord website, Chord customer services, Dealers, Camjams/shows, Head-Fi forums and adverts/reviews etc - and I suspect that Head-Fi forums, are your most important interface.

This Poly tread is the only thread that has provided long-term negative feedback for Chord, but that should be a key driver for Chord to continue to support the thread - walking away will be totally counter-productive.

In your own words 'rightly or wrongly I decided it was better to hold off and have some more updates first' - whether you were right or wrong, is neither here nor there. What was wrong, was not posting a short paragraph informing everyone about the delay. OK there would inevitably have been a couple of smart alecs posting an insulting response, but everyone else would have shrugged their shoulders, and grudgingly accepted the news.

The key driver to much user frustration, is the lack of communication from chord, which leads to a sense of abandonment, and the inevitable false posts and insults. The same phenomenon often happens when there is a train strike, or air traffic control strike, and passengers are left for many hours stranded in stations/airports, and receive no news/information. The news sites soon report about passengers complaining that they are being ignored, and becoming more and more frustrated. The passengers usually add, that they would not mind if the only news was no updates yet, because at least that would reassure the passengers that they were not being ignored, and were being communicated to.
The lesson for Chord should be, that even if you have no new news about software updates or beta tests, at least communicate that fact to the Poly owners. Most of them will be understanding, and appreciate the update.

Once again, don't walkaway from this thread, it is the worst thing that Chord could do!
:slight_smile:

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #10,304 of 18,821
Matt, I am trying to make this post as constructive as possible.

Part of my job involves managing global communication about product and software development, to tens of thousands of engineers. Yes Chord have been on the receiving end of many frustrated posts, but walking away from this thread, and leaving possibly thousands of your Poly customers completely in the dark, is the last thing that Chord should do.

A while back, possibly on the Mojo thread, @Mojo ideas mentioned that Chord recognised that much of Chords success in recent years, was built/fuelled on the relationship that Chord had built up with customers, and potential customer, via the Head-Fi forum and threads. The feedback that the threads provided Chord was invaluable. Like it or not, the main interfaces between Chord and probably 99% of Chord owners or potential customers, are the Chord website, Chord customer services, Dealers, Camjams/shows, Head-Fi forums and adverts/reviews etc - and I suspect that Head-Fi forums, are your most important interface.

This Poly tread is the only thread that has provided long-term negative feedback for Chord, but that should be a key driver for Chord to continue to support the thread - walking away will be totally counter-productive.

In your own words 'rightly or wrongly I decided it was better to hold off and have some more updates first' - whether you were right or wrong, is neither here nor there. What was wrong, was not posting a short paragraph informing everyone about the delay. OK there would inevitably have been a couple of smart alecs posting an insulting response, but everyone else would have shrugged their shoulders, and grudgingly accepted the news.

The key driver to much user frustration, is the lack of communication from chord, which leads to a sense of abandonment, and the inevitable false posts and insults. The same phenomenon often happens when there is a train strike, or air traffic control strike, and passengers are left for many hours stranded in stations/airports, and receive no news/information. The news sites soon report about passengers complaining that they are being ignored, and becoming more and more frustrated. The passengers usually add, that they would not mind if the only news was no updates yet, because at least that would reassure the passengers that they were not being ignored, and were being communicated to.
The lesson for Chord should be, that even if you have no new news about software updates or beta tests, at least communicate that fact to the Poly owners. Most of them will be understanding, and appreciate the update.

Once again, don't walkaway from this thread, it is the worst thing that Chord could do!
:slight_smile:

I FULLY mirror this view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back