Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #10,186 of 18,893
To be honest I'm personally not interested in spurious user statistics - I was sold Poly/Mojo as a device for my Android phone, and that's how it was advertised to me. I would just like a fully functioning product as promised. That goes beyond the woefully delayed GoFigure app and includes Spotify integration and Casting support. To me that doesn't seem unreasonable almost 9 months later.

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,187 of 18,893
To be honest I'm personally not interested in spurious user statistics - I was sold Poly/Mojo as a device for my Android phone, and that's how it was advertised to me. I would just like a fully functioning product as promised. That goes beyond the woefully delayed GoFigure app and includes Spotify integration and Casting support. To me that doesn't seem unreasonable almost 9 months later.

I totally agree with you! 100%!!!

I was just trying to point out that the Apple 15% thing can be really misleading when it comes to users of higher end phones!

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #10,188 of 18,893
My poly died some 3 weeks ago silently just after almost 8 moths of very good services. It just stopped to connect to anything. So for the 3 weeks I had to deal with either only mojo feed by telephone or my Fiio x 5 first gen Hugo 2 combo. Tethering spotify over camera apple kit was painful but it was still better solution that listening to my CD player in the car as the difference in the sound was so annoying. Yesterday I got Poly replacement which works perfectly now. So I am back from the middle ages era. The convenience of use is night and day and also the sound is much better. Like somehow cleaned the window out of any dirt. For my JBL LSR 305 active monitors mojo/poly in my rock music context gives me much better musical enjoyment than I could get from Fiio x 5 and Hugo 2 for the last 3 weeks. Maybe I am deaf or something. Still waiting for 2 go. But I can happily live with mojopoly in all my usage context either for headphones or speakers systems.

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #10,189 of 18,893
I think a another aspect to this is understanding where the Poly is actually selling in any sort of numbers. In the UK, Canada, and the US, market share of iOS is 35-50%, and higher for "high end" phones. The latter are also likely to be owned by the early adopters who would contemplate splashing out for a Poly.

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #10,191 of 18,893
I do listen to music with the Mojo in two ways since maybe a year now:

- I do use the Hidizs AP60 as a "transport" to the Mojo. 10€ usb cable as connection.

- I use my PC as a "transport" to the Mojo, and Foobar2000 as a media player. In foobar2000 Preferences: Output - i have chosen "DSD : ASIO : DSD Transcoder (DoP /Native)". 10€ usb cable as connection.

I cant say it for sure, but sometimes i think that the PC-Mojo stack do just sound better with more details then the hidizs ap60-mojo stack. But that coud be just a placebo, even after a year now i cant say it for sure.

So, now the only thing i really wanna know is the following: Do i get a gain in sound quality, when using the sd-card slot of Poly as a "transport" to the Mojo? I mean, does the Poly-Mojo Stack just do give the best sound quality possible? Or does the Mojo just sound 100% equal, no matter if the mojo is connected to the sd-card-Poly, a Iphone, Android smartphone, digital audio player, PC, Apple Mac and so on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #10,192 of 18,893
I think a another aspect to this is understanding where the Poly is actually selling in any sort of numbers. In the UK, Canada, and the US, market share of iOS is 35-50%, and higher for "high end" phones. The latter are also likely to be owned by the early adopters who would contemplate splashing out for a Poly.

And yet, even if we assume your numbers are true without an actual source, it still wouldnt matter since the poly was advertised as a player that worked with any smartphone, and advertised with a companion app that still doesnt exist after all this time, and advertised with features that still dont exist. If they had said upfront that iOS was going to have priority or that certain promised features werent going to exist for maybe 8+ months, I would have thought very long and hard about buying an accessory to a product that costs more than the actual product itself, if I wasnt going to be able to use certain features at all. So when chord states that they are still bringing it out even though its only 10% of their market share and it doesnt make sense... well... i say thats bull. You arent doing us any favors by bringing us features that you advertised, especially when they are so ridiculously delayed. You are just now getting around to actually bringing out features that you sold your damn product to us on.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #10,193 of 18,893
And yet, even if we assume your numbers are true without an actual source, it still wouldnt matter since the poly was advertised as a player that worked with any smartphone, and advertised with a companion app that still doesnt exist after all this time, and advertised with features that still dont exist. If they had said upfront that iOS was going to have priority or that certain promised features werent going to exist for maybe 8+ months, I would have thought very long and hard about buying an accessory to a product that costs more than the actual product itself, if I wasnt going to be able to use certain features at all. So when chord states that they are still bringing it out even though its only 10% of their market share and it doesnt make sense... well... i say thats bull. You arent doing us any favors by bringing us features that you advertised, especially when they are so ridiculously delayed. You are just now getting around to actually bringing out features that you sold your damn product to us on.

I agree with your sentiments entirely. My post was just an attempt to offer another explanation on why Chord's sales split between Android and iOS might have panned out the way it has.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #10,194 of 18,893
I agree with your sentiments entirely. My post was just an attempt to offer another explanation on why Chord's sales split between Android and iOS might have panned out the way it has.

All good, hard to tell in here which way certain posts go. Its just a really frustrating situation, and has been one of my worst audio related purchases, even though most of the time the poly works fine... it just doesnt do some important things that were promised. And the timelines chord continues to give us seem more and more like a way just to try and stop people from getting frustrated.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #10,195 of 18,893
Well, I have to say this product is a POS. An absolute POS.

When it works, it works. But I didn't pay ridiculous prices for a non-portable piece of crap that I have NEVER once got working inside of 20 minutes.

First impressions: my local dealer and I took 40 minutes to connect it to my phone, which didnt work. He let me take it home, free of charge so I would teach him how it works.

I got it working.

Its useless without a wifi connection. and its a pain in the ass to ask others for their wifi info. and thats assuming I can even make it work. its hit or miss.

this product it absolutely not portable.

gofigure you say? What is that? Im on android, have owned this product for 12 months, and Chord hasnt even got their software going 18 months after release.

which brings me to today,

one of my roommates hard reset the router, and I cannot for the life of me get music playing. Im not a dummy. I punched a roommate tonight, Im not happy.

screw You Chord, you are not getting another dollar. Period.

what an inhospitable piece of junk marketed as portable, but not at all portable.

With this said, if you want to just keep it in your living room, your an idiot and a fool for overpaying, but it will work, once you put in mulitple hair pulling hours.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #10,196 of 18,893
One has to wonder at what point a legitimate case could be made against Chord with your version of a Trading Standards authority. Missing software/advertised features almost a year after launch, constantly shifting release dates for a "beta" version of said app, lack of parity/developer enthusiasm for Android version of GoFigure... suffice to say, I am still flabbergasted by John's seeming-reluctance to honour Chord's commitment to at least their Android community with regards the above.

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #10,197 of 18,893
It is more or less always the same case with Audio Companies that are mainly focused on manufacturing audio devices. Their bottleneck comes with the software implementation. They always keep claiming that they main commitment comes producing hardware... That's why I've decided to stick apart from Chinese/Korean DAP manufacturers as iBasso//FiiO//A&K and others who come out with great sounding products but software-wise and user experience-wise are literally crap although they keep promising firmware updates that never ever come out to use their products at a 100% of their theoretical capabilities.

We have to think though about all users that don't post on forums and more or less are happy with their Poly//Mojos. I have a blind faith that this time Chord will be at the expected level with the android version of the GoFigure app.

Jul 18, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #10,198 of 18,893
It is more or less always the same case with Audio Companies that are mainly focused on manufacturing audio devices. Their bottleneck comes with the software implementation. They always keep claiming that they main commitment comes producing hardware... That's why I've decided to stick apart from Chinese/Korean DAP manufacturers as iBasso//FiiO//A&K and others who come out with great sounding products but software-wise and user experience-wise are literally crap although they keep promising firmware updates that never ever come out to use their products at a 100% of their theoretical capabilities.

We have to think though about all users that don't post on forums and more or less are happy with their Poly//Mojos. I have a blind faith that this time Chord will be at the expected level with the android version of the GoFigure app.

I hate to dispel your assumption that people like me who don't post on this forums are 'more or less' happy with my Poly/Mojo. Mojo yes, but Poly a sound NO! I don't post here often and in fact probably once. And this thread is about the Poly.

While I have no way to proof whether their firmware updates ever make their hardware work 100% of their theoretical capabilities, I've never had any major issues with my Shanling and Cayin DAPs. In fact I'm quite satisfied with them because they work and sound as advertised. The Poly, on the other hand does not: I can hardly finish a song before getting dropouts! Also, I have to connect the unit to GoFigure before any of the apps want to recognize it. To top it off, I'm one of the eager early adopters who bought not one but two Polys and are now used as expensive paper weights!

Furthermore, the Poly's battery will deplete within a week even when left switched off. Then again, I can hardly use it for music listening without feeling frustrated after just a couple of minutes.

What really surprises me is the large number of Poly supporters here in this thread. Elsewhere, everyone would have thrashed the product till the manufacturer withdraws it from the market. I would have dismissed it if it were something out of crowdfunding but this is from a supposedly reputable company.

Not acceptable!

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #10,199 of 18,893
I fully understand you but I was referring myself to DAPs like the FiiO X5 III (about 500USD when it was launched) that after more than a year with constant firmware updates don't solve their outstanding poor capabilities of handling an effective android ecosystem, the iBasso's DX200 that has to be charged with Lurker's version of their SO to be able to have Google Play (not to forget that we're talking about a 800USD player) and the best for the final, the A&K Daps so closed in their software that don't even let you download anything from Tidal and everything that's not stored in your SD Card has to be streamed (price for their DAPs, up to 3800USD). Perhaps if I buy a Shanling M0, I know precisely what I'm paying for and what can I expect from the very first minute from it.

I'm not playing my cards on Chord, but just want to point out that at least today, all these audio companies promise us an user experience that's not acceptable although our Pounds, Euros or Dollars are fully accepted when we pay for their products, including my Poly/Mojo. Others companies as Auralic just remain selling hardware that only works with iOS since it seems to be far easier to develop their apps or UIs and clearly state when asked that they don't even give a thought of coming out with an android version. Too complicated, doesn't pay, not worthy is the type of answers you get from them.

Just to put things into perspective...

Jul 18, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #10,200 of 18,893
Did Chord say they will not develop an Android app?

I just got a replacement unit for the paperweight that I originally received.

The new packaging actually did not include a paper manual and only has Apple store indicated on a card for the app info.

I feel like Chord made a silent hardware revision because this unit operates much differently than the previous even with the same firmware version.

It now turns on instantly where as the old one needed a jumpstart from a power charger once every 5 or so times, and had a 5-10s delay to power on. The replacement is functioning with WIFI for one full day now which the old one never did. I hope that continues.

As for the app / UX I don't understand the delay.

As a company selling premium priced (high margin) products, is it unreasonable to farm out some basic app development just to get the functions going? The app has nothing to do with the sound processing, so they shouldn't need to worry about IP unless they have made some incredibly big design errors.

I think of Chord as physicists who create some fantastic new technology but are not skilled at bringing it to market. It seems they need to license it to a company who can engineer the tech into a good product, and keep focused on what they do best. They could have some knockout stuff if that happened because generally those companies have the resources to bring the cost down.

Everyone rags on Apple but they are excellent at bringing products to market that generally the users are happy with. They can command the price premium because of their brand cache and reputation. People keep paying it....

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back