Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 18, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #9,571 of 18,774
While I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying (raising iPhone volume allows lowering of Mojo volume which reduces background hum), I get a noticeable click and silence between the last but one volume indicator and the last one (full volume). I can flick the volume up and down between those two and the hum directly correlates with the full, not full state. It's not a gradual decline at all, it's an on/off situation.

I wonder if what you're describing is to do with the electrical interference being picked up by the Mojo? I'll have a listen for that.

I did think about the bit perfect mode as well, I know that if you're playing DSD files and you drop the volume of the source then it's not bit perfect anymore. Once you apply any change in the digital domain it can't be. Given that setting the volume to full on the iPhone removes any change, I'm assuming that something similar is happening.

I think most of these quirks and anomalies aren't really the Poly at all. I get interference when using hotspot mode on the train, but I assume that's other devices trying to connect to me. I'm hoping that the ability to hide Poly's SSID is added to future versions. My connection dropped out earlier today while walking, but it's because my phone switched connection to a BTWifi zone. It certainly seems like the oddities, interference, and strange behaviours appear more in places that are busier and have more wifi and, I presume, bluetooth activity. It doesn't behave in this way when I'm sat in my garden, for example.
Hey Conrad, I tried putting the iPhone at full volume, and you’re right: the faint hum on Airplay (which is only noticeable with Mojo also at higher volume) goes away!!

This is good news. Even though Airplay will still cap bitrate to 44.1k, the SQ is still pretty darn sweet.

May 19, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #9,572 of 18,774
Think of it like a GPS in a car. By the time the car comes out, the GPS is already 2-3 yrs old and no longer cutting edge. Another 3-4 yrs later and it’s a relic.

The Mojo amp and Poly device with unlimited SD capacity are as future proofed as possible, and then are separated from the screen (UI app) which has a much shorter obsolescence curve.

This is a wise design approach and though new it is only going to get better!

This honestly feels like marketing BS. Yes, your interface cant get outdated when you have no interface. But when you rely on third party apps to do the work for you, its only as good of an experience as those third party apps provide. And most of the apps I have used on android seem to be missing something. We dont have glider on android, which seems to be the best suited for poly. And even with the choice, theres maybe three viable dlna apps, and two mpd apps. Not really great on choice. And with the poly still missing features... I dunno. I have been left sour with this whole thing when a built in interface could have provided full functionality, including the ability to not have to couple your phone to it all.

I do hope it gets better, because the situation on android is still kind of a mess. DLNA cant do gapless playback. MPD on android requires the pin to find out your IP address (since we are still waiting for gofigure). None of the third party apps can do the mpd playback over bluetooth, which would be great. Theres still no google cast functionality. Battery life does match the mojo.

May 19, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #9,573 of 18,774
A lot happier now with the Poly after some time with the GoFigure App. (iPad/Tidal HiFi - Airplay - Hotspot mode)But one thing I am finding is that after a full charge on Poly (confirmed with battery on GoFigure app) I find that the Poly battery seems to "drain battery" after a number of days when off. Yes, confirmed Poly is actually shutting down. Confirmed as light goes off AND BT will no longer find it. Is this just me??? this is my 2nd Poly and is ~ Serial Number 6000. Just seems strange. @Matt Bartlett any thoughts? Anyone else seen this. BTW - using the Mojo/Poly with the new @KB Campfire Audio Comet Atlas.... sounding really good!

Not sure about why your poly drains battery after a full charge.

However, when I plug mojo/poly combo onto recharge, if left on the charger and once both mojo and poly are fully charged, if left on the charger poly will stay on, presumably for firmware updates ?

So it best to fully charge both, once they both stop charging, take it off recharge immediately, if not poly will start draining the battery.

What I do is recharge and once done and when I see polys blue light, I unplug the charger and plug it back in and poly will then recharge by itself for an hour or so.

If I dont do it that way, poly runs out of batteries before mojo. So my recharge routine makes it so poly really is fully recharged and lasts longer than mojo.

May 19, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #9,574 of 18,774
How to get a airspot license?
Google play ejected that app.
Floating apk file on internet is trial version that add beep to music after 10 minutes using.
Sent 2.9£ via paypal to paid. Then, dont know what to do next

May 19, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #9,575 of 18,774
Haha, well reading it again I can see how it may feel like marketing BS! I am very pleased with and enjoying my Mojo+Poly very much, and that emotion is probably seeping out at the edges. :) So let me try to give you a bit more detailed take on this (just my take), and in a more objective manner.

First, I can assure you, I have no financial interest in these Chord products, do not work for Chord or a partner (or even review products). I look after a division of a contractor firm that engineers solutions for unrelated defense, energy and security markets. We obsess over obsolescence, value chain dynamics, optimized integration, and teaming strategy - so, in full disclosure, I do have to sling some marketing around but hopefully with minimal BS!

The digital audio landscape, with all its evolving audio formats and standards, connectivity protocols, as well as software integration challenges, is one where it is even more difficult to future proof a product than in my example of the car GPS market. My 2011 car GPS looks very dated and doesn’t find shortcuts or police, but it can still get me from point A to point B at least. That said, these days I do tend to use Waze (ie, a smartphone app) when driving. The aftermarket of “Car Play” and modular nav+audio+(latest feature) systems has also been surging.

I for one don’t want to spend a lot of money on high-end audio gear only to switch it out again before long. The Mojo is a miniaturized rack quality hi-fi amp, and the Poly has packed in all the networking options you could possibly need along with future proofing the storage size. This combo will very likely still be relevant in 5-10 years and quite possibly longer. The Mojo has already been out several years, and I still couldn’t find its equal in this footprint!

It makes a lot of sense to me, if you want to buy some pricey gear and feel good about being able to use it for a reasonable time, that the most dynamic component (the UI/player software which is driven by CPU power, hi-res audio formats, and connection protocols) is NOT integrated into this Mojo+Poly audio player package. This modularity and future proofing are two key reasons the iOS/Android mobile apps market is projected to keep growing to $200B by 2020.

Normally, as a luxury product that is not meant to be practical, a high-end DAP offers all the best your money can buy, in an elegant single-device package, and it’s accepted that you might replace it in 2 or 3 years. In my view, Chord is bringing the value proposition of sound quality that is better than a DAP combined with the practicality of future proofing. Yes you have to carry around two pieces of kit this way (smartphone & Mojo+Poly), but it’s not like you were really going to go exercising with your hi-fi gear, right? Since they’re wirelessly connected, you are most often just handling your phone (the latest model with fastest chip and coolest new apps), with Mojo+Poly pumping out the best SQ nearby on a table or in your bag or pocket.

I understand your frustrations, but I hope you will find a much better experience soon with GoFigure for Android and I’m sure some app developers will rise to the challenge!

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #9,576 of 18,774
Not sure about why your poly drains battery after a full charge.

However, when I plug mojo/poly combo onto recharge, if left on the charger and once both mojo and poly are fully charged, if left on the charger poly will stay on, presumably for firmware updates ?

So it best to fully charge both, once they both stop charging, take it off recharge immediately, if not poly will start draining the battery.

What I do is recharge and once done and when I see polys blue light, I unplug the charger and plug it back in and poly will then recharge by itself for an hour or so.

If I dont do it that way, poly runs out of batteries before mojo. So my recharge routine makes it so poly really is fully recharged and lasts longer than mojo.

Thats not the battery drain he is talking about. Although it sounds crazy to me that the poly is unable to just do a trickle charge and keep itself topped off if left plugged in like pretty much every other piece of electronics. I guess the fact that is has to be powered on to charge might contribute, i dont know.

The issue though is that the poly drains on its own even when its powered off. And Mitch at chord even confirmed it via email with me, and I quote, that "Poly has a small microprocessor running constantly (when switched off) so we expect it to lose battery over time, however this is months worth of background running, not a weeks worth." And yes, it may take a month or more to fully drain, but if I leave it for a few days or a week, the Poly battery life is noticeably less than on last use. To the point that if I spread a full charge out over a few weeks (since I dont use it that much), my poly will be dead significantly before the mojo, even though the poly is rated for longer battery life.

May 19, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #9,577 of 18,774
Thats not the battery drain he is talking about. Although it sounds crazy to me that the poly is unable to just do a trickle charge and keep itself topped off if left plugged in like pretty much every other piece of electronics. I guess the fact that is has to be powered on to charge might contribute, i dont know.

The issue though is that the poly drains on its own even when its powered off. And Mitch at chord even confirmed it via email with me, and I quote, that "Poly has a small microprocessor running constantly (when switched off) so we expect it to lose battery over time, however this is months worth of background running, not a weeks worth." And yes, it may take a month or more to fully drain, but if I leave it for a few days or a week, the Poly battery life is noticeably less than on last use. To the point that if I spread a full charge out over a few weeks (since I dont use it that much), my poly will be dead significantly before the mojo, even though the poly is rated for longer battery life.

Yes, I know it wasnt the same as his battery drain.

I was just mentioning what I experience and do with regards to poly charging, once charged it stops charging and the white light goes off, the blue light comes on stays turned on, presumably for firmware updates.

Even though the charger was charging both mojo and poly, when the white charging lights go off for mojo and poly, I do not think poly is fully charged, as poly runs out of battery long before mojo but, if I unplug poly after her charging lights go out for the first time, if I put the charging cable back in, poly then continues to charge for a couple of hours more.

Doing that is the only guaranteed way for me to get the most out of polys battery life.

Why his poly drains when not in use, I have no idea but if I had to guess, I would say it may have something to do with wifi/bluetooth or possibly when turning off mojo, poly may not shut down properly even though it looks as if it has.

Maybe its still detecting wifi/bluetooth signals, polling events, which would run the battery down eventually. I really do not know.

May 19, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #9,579 of 18,774
Yes, I know it wasnt the same as his battery drain.

I was just mentioning what I experience and do with regards to poly charging, once charged it stops charging and the white light goes off, the blue light comes on stays turned on, presumably for firmware updates.

Even though the charger was charging both mojo and poly, when the white charging lights go off for mojo and poly, I do not think poly is fully charged, as poly runs out of battery long before mojo but, if I unplug poly after her charging lights go out for the first time, if I put the charging cable back in, poly then continues to charge for a couple of hours more.

Doing that is the only guaranteed way for me to get the most out of polys battery life.
Have you reported this charging behaviour to Chord? And if so, did they say that they were already aware of it? That's a terrible bug if true.

May 19, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #9,580 of 18,774
I'm using MALP on my Android phone and it is quick, solid and reliable. It is not feature rich but i like it. The only issue I'm having is I cannot see any cover art. I tried Musicbrainz but still nothing. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

May 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #9,581 of 18,774
Have you reported this charging behaviour to Chord? And if so, did they say that they were already aware of it? That's a terrible bug if true.

Nope, never reported it. To be honest, I didnt think it was that much of a bug, I just took it to be one of the quircks of rechargeable Li-Po batteries.

Also never reported the fact that my old mojo only gave me 4 - 4 and a half hours use when fully charged, either. Like that from new.

I dont have that mojo now, my new one I got in umm, february, it gives me 7-8 hours easy.

I am happy with the battery life, but, if I dont unplug the charger after the white charging lights for both mojo and poly go off and in polys case, it then turns blue, if I dont unplug and replug the usb charging cable back in so that Poly then charges on its own for atleast 2 hours.

If I dont do that, Poly will always run flat first.

Its light goes from blue to green, to yellow and then to red before mojo’s does, example, poly shows green light, mojo’s light is still blue and it continues like that until they run flat or until I stick the charger back in.

Not moaning about it as its still a good few hours of playtime. I also carry a 22,000 mah rechargeable anker battery/charger when I go out. It comes in handy as a cosh and if I stick it in my pocket my junk looks impressive.

Thing is a beast, it can recharge about 10 iphones or a few ipads before it needs recharging, the recharging does take a goodwhile though, usually charge overnight so its fresh in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #9,582 of 18,774
Nope, never reported it. To be honest, I didnt think it was that much of a bug, I just took it to be one of the quircks of rechargeable Li-Po batteries.

Also never reported the fact that my old mojo only gave me 4 - 4 and a half hours use when fully charged, either. Like that from new.

I dont have that mojo now, my new one I got in umm, february, it gives me 7-8 hours easy.

I am happy with the battery life, but, if I dont unplug the charger after the white charging lights for both mojo and poly go off and in polys case, it then turns blue, if I dont unplug and replug the usb charging cable back in so that Poly then charges on its own for atleast 2 hours.

If I dont do that, Poly will always run flat first.

Its light goes from blue to green, to yellow and then to red before mojo’s does, example, poly shows green light, mojo’s light is still blue and it continues like that until they run flat or until I stick the charger back in.
I understand but that does sound ridiculous after all the proclaiming about the super-advanced charging technology!

May 19, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #9,583 of 18,774
I understand but that does sound ridiculous after all the proclaiming about the super-advanced charging technology!

Yea, I agree.

I have zero idea why it happens, am kinda used to problems/quircks regarding chord products, so nothing surprises me nowadays.

The other day I was charging my hugo2 and the power ball goes white when charging, all good so far.

However, mines started off white and a few hours later it was flashing white, its never done that before and their is no mention of what a flashing white power light means *shrugs* :-|

Edit.

Before anyone says it.

My charger is 4.8 amp output, well past the 1 and 2 amp specs for charging one at a time or both at the same time.

Just have a feeling that someone will say, *it’s your charger thats at fault*.

So I thought I would be preemptive and head it off at the pass before it gets here. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #9,584 of 18,774
Yea, I agree.

I have zero idea why it happens, am kinda used to problems/quircks regarding chord products, so nothing surprises me nowadays.

The other day I was charging my hugo2 and the power ball goes white when charging, all good so far.

However, mines started off white and a few hours later it was flashing white, its never done that before and their is no mention of what a flashing white power light means *shrugs* :-|

Edit.

Before anyone says it.

My charger is 4.8 amp output, well past the 1 and 2 amp specs for charging one at a time or both at the same time.

Just have a feeling that someone will say, *it’s your charger thats at fault*.

So I thought I would be preemptive and cut it off at the pass before it gets here. :)

So the issue becomes you need to actively charge it just before using versus charging then just using when you want afterwards. Quirky. But sound good. But still a work in progress even after the app IMHO.

May 20, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #9,585 of 18,774
It's a feature of GoFigure - allows you to control the playback of MPD playlists using just Bluetooth - turns Poly's WiFi off entirely. It's the one feature I've been waiting for all these months!
Hi,

I've juste bought a Mojo Poly, did all updates and everything works well except SD card Management.
My SD card is EXFAT. I've just dragged and dropped flac files on it from my Macbook and then inserted it in Poly. When I open GoFigure App :
> In settings : the app knows how many songs there are on the sd card BUT
> When I launch quickplay through GoFigure : It tells me that no playlist have been found.

My goal is to use the iphone as a remote for the sd card that is in Poly, only through Bluetooth...

I cannot find any clue on GoFigure user manual... Please help me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back