Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #8,821 of 18,783
The playlist needs to consist of file paths - and not network addresses (192.168.etc).
Eg - my SD card has a Folder called "MUSIC" within which it has Artist Folders, within these Album folders.
M3U files are very simple and can be edited in a common text editor.
So for example a simple MPD playlist to play an album for me would consist of the text lines:

MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/01-Aphex_Twin-Minipops_67_(Source_Field_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/02-Aphex_Twin-XMAS_EVET10_(Thanaton3_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/03-Aphex_Twin-Produk_29.flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/04-Aphex_Twin-4_bit_9d_api_e_6.flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/05-Aphex_Twin-180db_.flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/06-Aphex_Twin-CIRCLONT6A_(Syrobonkus_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/07-Aphex_Twin-Fz_pseudotimestretch_e_3.flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/08-Aphex_Twin-CIRCLONT14_(Shrymoming_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/09-Aphex_Twin-Syro_u473t8_e_(Piezoluminescence_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/10-Aphex_Twin-PAPAT4_(Pineal_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/11-Aphex_Twin-S950tx16wasr10_(Earth_Portal_Mix).flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/12-Aphex_Twin-Aisatsana.flac
MUSIC/Aphex Twin/SYRO (2014)/13 - MARCHROMT30A edit 2b 96 [104.98].flac

saved as eg "Aphex Twin - Syro.m3u" to the root of the card.
Fwiw Android M.A.L.P can generate and save these directly to Poly.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #8,822 of 18,783
Matt.

I made the playlist and quickly tested it this morning in the house and quick play worked ok.

I then went outside, poly was a hotspot and quick play sees the playlist but it doesnt play and it automatically tries other songs, but no music.

I then tried it in bluetooth mode and still it didnt play although it can see the playlist and the files as it skips through them, but they are named as a lan ip address.

If you copied the music files to your sdcard you can copy the list and remove the prefix so it matches the sdcard content.

Let's say you have a Playlist.mu3 with 2 tracks on it accessed from your home network it would look something like:
192.168.1.11/MyPC/Music/track1.mp3
192.168.1.11/MyPC/Music/02. Another track.flac

You copied the Music folder to your sdcard root, so replace/remove "192.168.1.11/MyPC/" and save as Playlistlocal.mu3 to your sdcard.
Music/track1.mp3
Music/02. Another track.flac

Playlist.mu3 will only work when there is a network connection between Poly and that ip address - as you've discovered. Playlistlocal.mu3 will read direct from sdcard via GoFigure or apps which handle playlists (Glider etc.).

Several posters are reporting palylists not working. It's likely they either have the tracks on a server not connected (no local copy on sdcard) or they have saved the list referencing the ip address and have copied tracks locally.

Hope that makes sense. Shout if you need anything clarified further.

Sorry if this duplicates other posts but was editing and interrupted at work before I saved the reply.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #8,823 of 18,783
Yea it makes sense, thats what I was thinking about kinda, it was made worse because on my router I still had my old poly static lan ip address 192.168.1.5 and when I was looking at gofigures quick play feature some of the songs were showing me a different ip 192.68.1.6 and I am like huh What, poly in my router is showing .5

So I am trying to figure out What was going on and finally I decided to check something in my router and....

This is where I find part of the problem, on the dhcp device page I see my old poly near the top of the list and after scrolling down I find my new poly at the bottom of the list and it was hidden from view due to needing to scroll down.

If only I had scrolled down the dhcp list of devices I would of found my new poly ip address at the bottom a few days ago. I sacked the old poly ip so no more confusion from her.

Now I can try again at getting this to work, hopefully playlistlocal will do the trick.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 11, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #8,824 of 18,783
We are looking at this. It appears the iPad 4 cannot run the startup splash screen and there is a compatibility problem with this version of iPad. As soon as I have something I will let you know.

Thanks for the update, Matt . I do accept discount vouchers towards the purchase of a new iPad Pro if necessary. :wink:

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #8,826 of 18,783
If you copied the music files to your sdcard you can copy the list and remove the prefix so it matches the sdcard content.

Let's say you have a Playlist.mu3 with 2 tracks on it accessed from your home network it would look something like:
192.168.1.11/MyPC/Music/track1.mp3
192.168.1.11/MyPC/Music/02. Another track.flac

You copied the Music folder to your sdcard root, so replace/remove "192.168.1.11/MyPC/" and save as Playlistlocal.mu3 to your sdcard.
Music/track1.mp3
Music/02. Another track.flac

Playlist.mu3 will only work when there is a network connection between Poly and that ip address - as you've discovered. Playlistlocal.mu3 will read direct from sdcard via GoFigure or apps which handle playlists (Glider etc.).

Several posters are reporting palylists not working. It's likely they either have the tracks on a server not connected (no local copy on sdcard) or they have saved the list referencing the ip address and have copied tracks locally.

Hope that makes sense. Shout if you need anything clarified further.

Sorry if this duplicates other posts but was editing and interrupted at work before I saved the reply.

When making the playlist in jriver, if i open the list via notepad++, every single song starts with 192.168.1.5:8200/MediaItems/ then here it shows the file number, e.g 3999.flac so it would b 192.168.1.5:8200/MediaItems/3999.flac

No way am I going to manually remove over 5000 of these, which every single song in the playlist starts with. 192.168.1.5:8200/MediaItems/

Thats how jriver makes the playlist, ok it works inside the house, but I really need it to work outdoors.

I made it playlistlocal, i am just trying it now.

Nope, as soon as wifi is disabled, music dies aswell even in bluetooth mode.

Their must be an easier way to make a playlist that doesnt involve me manually deleting over 5k worth of text.

Just to add, I dont even see a MediaItems folder, its not on the sd card or my puter.

Apr 11, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #8,827 of 18,783
User update: The Go figure app works @ home/wifi or on the go (thru my experience). So far so good; the results are favorable. I’m able to report that I can listen to HI RES files on the go. This is the specific reason that I purchased the POLY (mobility @ home or on the go).

Note: I ‘fiddled’ around with the Gofigure settings & achieved the desired results. See screenshots for my ON THE GO config (in no certain order).

I’ve provided the ‘bread crumb’ pics with the intent of helping others (if possible). I’ve experienced no signal dropouts in this mode.
I use the MPDLUXE app for SD​
playback.

3BE976E4-E198-491A-B5F8-F8F11B475DE1.jpeg 3B3D1A02-F0D9-4595-BB86-C090E0D25EAA.png D9C52D97-8BAF-44BE-A981-DB7A866CCCB0.png

812493A6-24BE-41EC-B078-7638FFE103A5.jpeg
A3CD8D55-54FB-4549-B07A-503536F744D8.jpeg

Attachments

• A45D59CF-9351-4AF1-8B49-5024570AA8B3.jpeg
    A45D59CF-9351-4AF1-8B49-5024570AA8B3.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #8,828 of 18,783
Finally i think, i made a playlist in foobar, saved it, opened it in notepad++, the sd card starts with L:\ so I chose the REPLACE function at the top of notepad++ once you choose replace, the top line is what you are looking for, in my case it was just this L:\ so that is what I typed into the empty space and the bottom line is what you want to replace the top line with, in my case I left the bottom line empty.

Once done save it and stick it back into poly.

Argh, this forum software is a pain in the arse, especially on an ipad..

Here is the steps.

Make a playlist in foobar or wherever, save it, open in notepad++.

Once opened, if there is a Lan/internal ip address at the start of every song in your playlist or if there is a letter pointing to a hard drive/folder on your computer, then look for the REPLACE option in one of the pull down menus at the top of notepad++.

In the replace window their is two empty lines, the top line is what you are searching for, in my case I was searching for every instance of L:\ yours will probably be different, L:\ was at the beginning of every song in my playlist and I needed 5000 of them deleted.

The bottom empty line is what you want to replace the top line with, in my case I just wanted every instance of L:\ deleted and not replaced with anything, to do that you leave the bottom empty line empty.

Push ok and you will notice whatever it is that you wanted deleted or changed, will be done.

Save the text file and close notepad++.

Remove sd card fom your computer and put it back in poly.

Job done.

Playlists now/should work over bluetooth and everything else.

Just to add.

Now that I have Poly down, it will be used atleast 10 times more than Hugo2, simply due to its mobility, no wire solution, great sound and how could I forget about its sexy black and red case.

UPDATE:

Poly works in ALL modes and also reads the Playlist correctly, now that I have everything working as it should, I can only say that Poly is a stunning bit of kit, truth be told I thought I would never use Poly outside of roon mode because it was too fickle to use.

Gofigure really has transformed Poly for me.

Apr 11, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #8,829 of 18,783
Totally agree.

I believe I am not the only one who followed the recommended procedure to upgrade Poly’s firmware to 1.0.26 yet still can not avoid the bricking issue afterwards. Some poly owners at least saw solid white or blue P.status light, the others could not even light it up thus there was no way to tell its status.

Truth be told I didnt follow any of it, i stuck my poly on charge for about 10 minutes, picked it up and unplugged it and turned it on, then I read the forums outlining the steps and that a new fw was being released.

Once I turned it on I put poly in to access point mode and mine had updated without me knowing or doing anything.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #8,830 of 18,783
Sorry can you point me to where I said that I don’t recall it and if I did it may be out of context as since the earliest days of developement we knew we were not including aptX as we had neither the space enough inside poly and we also knew that as Apple phones Don’t encode it that ithey would have sounded worse if we had included it. Bluetooth for Audio transmission with Poly is truly a last resort in quality terms and there are so many other better and more logical WiFi and for Apple airplay transmission methods. I wonder why don’t you just load up an SD with a playlist and if you don’t want the use WiFi simply use the bluetooth how it’s meant to be used ... for set up and control.

Your explanation makes perfect sense for the lack of aptx, but the frustration here is that for a large portion of your user base (android users) there is a major use case that doesnt work without bluetooth. And that is streaming audio from services like spotify. As an android user there is no way for me to use spotify with the poly without bluetooth. I would love to use google cast (which I know is still promised to be added) or to use spotify connect (which the manual states is included, but it isnt). As an android user, my options are to use bluetooth, which has reduced audio quality and currently has interruptions every 6 seconds when not connected to wifi (which I am not always) and due to the fact that we dont yet have gofigure to turn on airplane/bluetooth mode. There are other options like rooting and using air audio, but this introduces its own audio quality issues and isnt really a good alternative.

So, I totally understand that bluetooth is meant for set up and control, but I hope you understand the frustration that at least for some of us, its the only option we have due to features that have been promised but just have not arrived yet.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #8,831 of 18,783
Your explanation makes perfect sense for the lack of aptx, but the frustration here is that for a large portion of your user base (android users) there is a major use case that doesnt work without bluetooth. And that is streaming audio from services like spotify. As an android user there is no way for me to use spotify with the poly without bluetooth. I would love to use google cast (which I know is still promised to be added) or to use spotify connect (which the manual states is included, but it isnt). As an android user, my options are to use bluetooth, which has reduced audio quality and currently has interruptions every 6 seconds when not connected to wifi (which I am not always) and due to the fact that we dont yet have gofigure to turn on airplane/bluetooth mode. There are other options like rooting and using air audio, but this introduces its own audio quality issues and isnt really a good alternative.

So, I totally understand that bluetooth is meant for set up and control, but I hope you understand the frustration that at least for some of us, its the only option we have due to features that have been promised but just have not arrived yet.
I just try to use the Samsung J5 with Bluetooth Audio. Interruption each 4 seconds.
With the Sony Xperia tablet z: The same when use it on youtube.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,832 of 18,783

Android users may want to check out mConnect player... streams Tidal and Qobuz to DLNA renderers... I’ve used the equivalent on iOS as well successfully with the Poly...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conversdigitalpaid
There is a limited function free “lite” version too that works. Use it on the go with DNLA putting Poly in hotspot mode... or on your WiFi network by switching the Poly to network mode... works both ways for iOS so assuming the same for Android...
Edit: that is in addition of being able to stream music from the Poly’s mSD card.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #8,833 of 18,783
Android users may want to check out mConnect player... streams Tidal and Qobuz to DLNA renderers... I’ve used the equivalent on iOS as well successfully with the Poly...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.conversdigitalpaid
There is a limited function free “lite” version too that works. Use it on the go with DNLA putting Poly in hotspot mode... or on your WiFi network by switching the Poly to network mode... works both ways for iOS so assuming the same for Android...

Unfortunately it doesnt help me since I use spotify, not tidal. And while I think its great that there are potential options, but all the options right now just feel like workarounds that rely on other software to hopefully work around the limitations of the poly, limitations that right now exist because of features that were promised but just havent materialized yet.

And this isnt a huge complaint, john franks post just felt very much like apple telling everyone they were holding their phones wrong instead of owning up to the limitations that exist. And I hope they understand that the frustration here is because features are just missing, and all the workarounds are less than optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back