Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #7,337 of 18,784
How is the Poly working with Roon? That’s the only connection Method I care about. Do these problems everyone are having apply to the Roon integration as well?

Thanks.
You toggle your poly into roon mode versus a general mode.

Sometimes roon is flakey, via pc or via poly. It will skip tracks and behave badly. But this last month, my experience is 99% better.

I haven’t changed any network things, so I believe this is all issues with Roon/tidal integration.

Generally, recently, roon/tidal/poly have been very good together. YMMV.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #7,338 of 18,784
Try switching the Poly off and on again, force quit Glider and restart the app... should now work...

Can't speak for MPDeluxe as it never worked with my previous (first) Poly and I got refunded for the app, never re-purchased since I always stayed with Glider since.
Anyone else using ALAC files with MPDeluxe successfully?

Thanks. Tried all that - had to delete and reinstall Glider to fix it in the end

How can the Aeries Mini stream gaplessly without issue but it’s a problem for Mojo? Genuine question not trying to stir up trouble

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #7,339 of 18,784
How is the Poly working with Roon? That’s the only connection Method I care about. Do these problems everyone are having apply to the Roon integration as well?

Thanks.

While it isn't fully Roon-qualified yet, it works great for me and is my preferred Listening. Sometimes i switch to Audirvana Plus to get better SQ out of TIDAL MQA. But other then that no problems here network- or otherwise with Roon-Mode.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #7,340 of 18,784
@Matt Bartlett I have noticed that with AIFF files it’s impossible to random access to any specific point along the track. That is if I need to go to some specific point in a track I need to play the entire track from the beginning. This issue only happens with AIFF tracks, not with WAV, DSD, MP3 or FLAC tracks. I have noticed this issue using MPDluxe (the only app that plays AIFF tracks with the Poly as far as I know)

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #7,341 of 18,784
In the absence of any update from Chord we are still supposed to believe that Apple are taking their time reviewing the app/hardware!!

More likely it had a timely rejection and the normal slow development pace has kicked back in whilst Chord try to fix the bugs. If the don't comment they think they won't be blamed for the delay and won't need to update us with the reality and who is actually making the app (available for iPhone & Android - as was stated in the manual on purchase November last year) delayed.

Well Apple either doesn’t like the app or Apple doesn’t like the hardware. Or both. :frowning2:

Hopefully it’s just the app, so Chord can work to meet the requirements to get it approved so Chord can deliver the functionality we were promised. Now we’re getting Bluetooth encrytion as a bonus? I suspect that was an Apple minimum requirement -and likely for a very good reason.

One thing that the App Store approval processs does is to ensure the end customer (us) isn’t subjected to half-baked apps with usability and security issues. They test UX, functionality, and security. It’s a bit ironic that the half-baked Poly’s central control app is apparently caught in that 3rd party quality assurance loop, isn’t it? More worrying that Chord have changed the design of the poly hardware during that process and are quietly swapping out units at a seemingly high rate without being clear on a serial number range recall.

I have a “Version 1” Poly with some of the same power issues described on here, and am waiting till the app officially launches to further test and then get it dealt with so I know I’m getting the final (Apple app approved) hardware version in my exchange, if I need to exchange it.

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #7,342 of 18,784
Well Apple either doesn’t like the app or Apple doesn’t like the hardware. Or both. :frowning2:

Hopefully it’s just the app, so Chord can work to meet the requirements to get it approved so Chord can deliver the functionality we were promised. Now we’re getting Bluetooth encrytion as a bonus? I suspect that was an Apple minimum requirement -and likely for a very good reason.

One thing that the App Store approval processs does is to ensure the end customer (us) isn’t subjected to half-baked apps with usability and security issues. They test UX, functionality, and security. It’s a bit ironic that the half-baked Poly’s central control app is apparently caught in that 3rd party quality assurance loop, isn’t it? More worrying that Chord have changed the design of the poly hardware during that process and are quietly swapping out units at a seemingly high rate without being clear on a serial number range recall.

I have a “Version 1” Poly with some of the same power issues described on here, and am waiting till the app officially launches to further test and then get it dealt with so I know I’m getting the final (Apple app approved) hardware version in my exchange, if I need to exchange it.

The Poly was 'upgraded' to detect the Mojo being switched from a specific voltage sensing to the presence of a voltage, as the issue was with some older Mojo versions. Rather that replace a lot more Mojo units Chord decided to rectify the issue with a Poly device & firmware change, so you only get a new Poly if you have an affected Mojo. Those of who decide to sell our Poly units to Mojo owners could get the new owners finding they don't seem to work, even those here not experiencing any issues could face this later unless they sell the Poly/Mojo together.

Were you an existing Mojo owner?

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #7,344 of 18,784
I've had a search but there's a lot of material in this thread :) Does anyone have a rough idea of serial number ranges for the Polys that might need a return for power issues?

No we've asked for Chord to state which serial numbers are the new units with no success. Perhaps anyone with a replacement can give us an approximate starting number based on their new Poly.

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #7,345 of 18,784
Hi Keith,

Where are you located? I can put you in contact with a local dealer that stocks the cases.

Thanks

Hey Steph

Did you have any luck with locating a stockist? It doesn't necessarily need to be London - anywhere in the UK would be great (that could ship the case to me).

I still can't find a dealer despite Chord saying they have been available for a while now.

Many thanks

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #7,346 of 18,784

Thanks.

Roon mode works great for me, I think they have done a great job with regards to Roon mode so I think you will be happy :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #7,347 of 18,784
The Poly was 'upgraded' ...
Those of who decide to sell our Poly units to Mojo owners could get the new owners finding they don't seem to work, even those here not experiencing any issues could face this later unless they sell the Poly/Mojo together.

Were you an existing Mojo owner?

Yeah I bought my Mojo new at a Canadian dealer around June 2017- I know he was selling a lot of them so I don’t think it was old stock or anything like that. I bought my Poly in December 2017 from the same store from what I think was the second batch of Polys to hit Canadian retailers after launch.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #7,349 of 18,784
Could those of you who have said that Roon is working well for you please identify what WAP you are using for your network? I have an all Meraki network and I can't get more than a couple songs into an album before the Poly drops off the network and Roon stops playing. I know it is the Poly and not Roon, because I can see the Poly disconnect in my logs. I'm willing to add another brand of WAP to my network just for the Poly but I'd to know which one to get in the US market.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #7,350 of 18,784
Could those of you who have said that Roon is working well for you please identify what WAP you are using for your network? I have an all Meraki network and I can't get more than a couple songs into an album before the Poly drops off the network and Roon stops playing. I know it is the Poly and not Roon, because I can see the Poly disconnect in my logs. I'm willing to add another brand of WAP to my network just for the Poly but I'd to know which one to get in the US market.

In my experience, Poly seems to have trouble with mesh networks. I have watched through my mesh router's control panel (Amplifi) and can actually see Poly switch (Poly is not moving just sitting on a table) between several remote access points for no apparent reason. When it switches, Roon, in Roon mode, will lose the connection. Sometimes it reconnects to roon fast enough that it only glitches, but more frequently, roon will lose connection and the stream will stop or skip the track. The roon error messages "Tidal track no longer available" or "Song is loading slowly" are related to this behavior. I was able to solve my problem by setting up a new network just for poly (with an airport extreme) and the problems went away.

This problem is well documented on the Roon support forum on other, but not all wifi devices as well. Roon is aware and investigating without a solution, but the behavior has been reported by a number of users for months. My laptops, all wifi, work fine with roon. It seems to be related to the "spontaneous" access point switching behavior of certain client devices, Poly included.

Further, I have found that if I am willing to give up Roon bit perfect mode and set the poly to other, Roon will work with poly perfectly as an Airplay device for both Tidal and local files, but you lose bit perfect. Airplay protocol is resistant to the access point switching by poly which causes the Roon mode protocol to fail.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back