Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #4,471 of 18,757
Yep! Different use cases for sure, but to be honest, I still don't see how Poly is unique in that functionality vs a DAP such as, I dunno, say, the DX200 lol :ksc75smile: You have micro SD card storage there and am sure there is an Android app for you to access your network files. And again, this isn't just argument, I am indeed trying to learn what other functionality the Poly might offer that the other does not, as that would be the potential selling point, if any.

EDIT: To further elaborate, my circumstance is that I've owned both the Mojo and DX200. I upgraded from Mojo to DX200 cause the former was too clunky for portable use. I sold the DX200 solely for cash flow purposes, but now I'm in the market again and am considering repurchashing the DX200, but if the Poly can do what I need it to, then I may go with that, and get a used Mojo and mod it. Therefore the price of the two is the same as I would need to purchase both Mojo and Poly, but at the moment it feels like a step backwards if I go back to Mojo.
OK so differences that work FOR ME :)

• It's less expensive (as I already have the Mojo)
  • It has 2 headphone outs - I prefer some music on headphones - this way I can share those moments still (in fact I actually got extra
  • If I want to share with more people I can switch renderer from Poly to the unit in the room we are in and control it (from the same app) - this isn't like bluetooth audio - the same hi res files now get played back through any other device on my network :)
  • If I'm listening to music and have to shift rooms I can do that in the same way - including to Poly
  • I can listen to the music on phone on my Sennheisers (and it's listenable)
  • When I do pay for streaming services I can share them between devices (including the Poly) in the same way - including when I am out and about (although not Tidal Masters as far as I am aware).
  • I have a high end smart phone - in my experience DAPs generally aren't as slick or have as good screens as high end smartphones - this means I don't get frustrated!
  • If I do want to stream Tidal masters I can detach the Poly and run mojo straight from my computer (at home or in the office)
Those are the things that jump out to me!

Downsides compared to a dedicated DAP:
  • size and weight
  • actually seeing what's going on if something does go wrong!
  • Needs a separate device to actually work!!
  • Dedicated playback controls
  • Possibly ultimate sound quality but it blows things that I could listen to away (mainly astell and kern)
  • battery life potentially (compared to the Sony ZX100 at least!)
  • MQA (like Pioneer and Onkyo)
Like I said in the last post - I wouldn't have even looked if I didn't already have a Mojo (and loved the sound from it with my headphones).

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #4,472 of 18,757
I started to have additional around 20 sec breakes between tracks while playing SD card tracks via 8 player. App behaves like adding additional timing to song which already ended. It was not like this before anybody had similar behavior?

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #4,473 of 18,757
I started to have additional around 20 sec breakes between tracks while playing SD card tracks via 8 player. App behaves like adding additional timing to song which already ended. It was not like this before anybody had similar behavior?
I get the exact same issue since the update. Seems like an extra 10 seconds or so is added at the end of any song playing in 8player.

Dec 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #4,474 of 18,757
Yes the Poly music server only runs and is visible when a card is inserted. I think the problem is the ALAC files. At the moment Poly does not recognise ALAC but we are working on a fix.
No, Poly can play ALAC files, 8Player play ALAC without issues but it can’t play AIFF and DSD; MPDulxe do really can’t play ALAC!

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,475 of 18,757
Yes when the connection between Poly and the phone is interrupted then it will stay at the end of each song until you turn on the phone display then it will continue to play the next song. If you restart 8player it will resume normal.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #4,477 of 18,757
Try restarting your iPhone. Seriously.
I will. Seriously:ksc75smile:

One of my uses for the Mojo is when I'm walking me and my dog. I prefer to use a belt clip on the case instead of putting it in a pocket. Originally, I set it so the Poly was on top of the Mojo. I was having all sorts of connection issues with the Poly hotspot (hence trying to use the iPhone hotspot). Last night I re-positioned the clip so the Poly is on the bottom. On our walk this morning, the Poly & Glider (latest beta) performed perfectly!! No drop outs, stutters, or fuzzy reception. Audio as strong as a wired connection. Plus it responded to commands from my Apple Watch much, much faster. It is a slice of audio heaven.

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,478 of 18,757
As I have registered my product I emailed a question direct to Chord via their support page.

I said that as I was waiting for the GoFigure app to control Poly via Bluetooth and play music directly from the sd card without wifi connection being needed. I also asked if a beta of the app was available and if the app depended on any firmware to come.

This was the response:

"You will not be able to control SD card playback via Bluetooth. To control the SD card you need to be using a DLNA application. This requires an active Wifi connection. Unfortunately Bluetooth is only compatible with streaming from your source to your Poly and not SD card control.

Unfortunately we do not have a Beta to offer to customers at this point. If we choose to release to the public in Beta format, everybody will be informed by our media outlets or Headfi etc. We currently do not have a solid release date for the application. There are new firmware updates constantly in construction as I’m sure you can imagine. We will keep everybody notified via social media as and when the application is rolling out."

Bottom line from that would suggest we will receive an app that just replaces the config pin and will need to use third-party DLNA apps to play music on the go. If the third-party software cannot set the Poly state then that means using one app to setup before using the other to play. I hope that is not the case and that Chord can give us an assurance of what the app will do so people can decide if they have to exercise a return for refund rather than getting their hopes and only getting a paper clip replacement app.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #4,481 of 18,757
Dec 6, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,482 of 18,757
And also confirmed that it won't by Chord support today.

Hope that answer came from Chord, the cable company :)
Seriously, it's at odds with what Matt and John have been saying here. Wires crossed I'd assume.

Dec 6, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #4,484 of 18,757
Can we start betting that the GoFigure app will not be released this week, neither before Christmas and neither this year? :ksc75smile:

I've said on 28th of November that GoFigure application will not be released as promised and nobody has believed me.
I put 10$ on the table (virtually) that the app will not be released this month. Who's joining me on the betting list?

(I think we need more solidarity from the forum members to work on this)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back