Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 5, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #4,426 of 18,774
Just out of curiosity and because we all see things a little different can I ask:

When you say Poly does not turn on, how do you judge that?

Is Mojo lighting up but no Poly status light comes on?
Is the Poly status light showing but it's not appearing on your network list?

I get the last one but use the pin to access network mode and it then appears, what the app should help avoid.

I'm curious as I can see the variations of connections, software & setups are quite extensive but I still fil to see why some have it so bad and others it just works (within the confies of no Chord app).

Steve

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #4,427 of 18,774
Steve,

No P-Status light.

Pushing the pin in seems wrong when it should be configurable in the app. The more times I have to push the pin the more physical wear and tear so I’ll just wait for the app - faster, smarter, the way it’s supposed to be. I can manage without the NAS for now as I have plenty of choice on the SD card.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #4,429 of 18,774
Good day all,

This is my first post and I’ve been thinking about what to say.

I bought my Mojo after well over a year of reading reviews and posts and watching videos. (Reflecting back on that for a moment) It’s marvellous that we can do this with the power of the web. In the old days I’d have to wait for What Hi-Fi to tell me what was good, much better now.

Anyway after having a tooth removed but not wanting to loose precious time, I had to go into the dealers with text written on my phone because I couldn’t speak. The reserved Mojo and case was now mine.

Oh wow! The first time I listened to it, I heard things I’d not heard in the same track. Since then I’ve read this was the same for many people. Cool. I’d bought the right DAC good homework. Phew.

My old iPhone 4S had new life but what a pain connecting it to Mojo. I could live with it because my music sounded so good and as a bonus this thing was made in England.

Then Poly was announced and I spent most of 2017 waiting and grumbling about the wait because I knew Poly would do away with the cable faff and give me a cool input to my Marshall Hanwell speaker (that things a riot, if you’ve got one - you know, if not - you missed out).

I bought some headphones - Oppo PM3. It seems they were a good buy too. So as soon as I could buy Poly I’d be complete - that was the plan and it was an easy one.

During the wait, I read a lot about Chord products and watched videos of Rob Watts talking about taps. Hmm he made a lot of sense and if the Mojo sounded good to me what would a Blu Mkii and Dave sound like? The dream starts...

Back to topic - the day arrived... Poly was going to be mine. I didn’t like the idea of pre-ordering. I viewed it as probable future bragging rights for Chord (“eagerly awaited, shown by X thousands of pre-orders” or whatever) and I sincerely hope other manufacturers / retailers don’t adopt this trickery.

I was upset that the Poly case that I ordered wasn’t at the dealers also. Although it would be free I had to wait a week for it to turn up. I wanted to go outside and use the MojoPoly combo but for me this wasn’t going to happen without the case to hold them together.

No fear there as I couldn’t get the frigging thing to work. I’m computer savvy (well you have to be don’t you?) Did Chord say that 8player would only work with iOS 10? Nope. Great. Another thousand quid from the coffers to buy a swanky new iPhone. Chord told me that was Apples’s fault and I should complain to them. Cheers, well helpful, not.

Frustrated, yes.

I guess you all know the problems I had with Poly as you have had them too:
Using the stupid pin thing to enter config mode because the very useful app hasn’t been written;
Limited friendliness of the 8player app;
No gapless playback (this is 2017 isn’t it?)
The milli second missed off the start of each track when playing music off the SD card;
Poly not switching on when you are about to go out or you are miles from a charging point;
Etc;

There are more issues of course and to most of you it would be too boring to hear them again.

My Poly purchase was a bitter anti-climax. I wanted to return it and have considered going back to piggyback but that’s not progress is it?

So what’s hapn’n now boy?

I found a fix for it not turning on - plug it in first - a few seconds is all that is needed. Out and about? I carry a battery pack - not ideal but it’s a work around until Chord gets it sorted?
I seem to have a good connection with Poly over the iPhone hotspot.
The SD card does play with 8player and I have written to 8player support several times so hopefully their app will improve.
I have had good results playing the Poly into the Marshall speaker but to avoid lots of dropouts, the iPhone has to be inches away from the speaker too. A bit silly yes and I cannot stream music from my NAS because in Hotspot mode you cannot be connected to the home WiFi. I know I could use the little pin and enter config mode but I’ll just wait until I’ve got the app and this will stop things going awry when I want to hotspot agin (or something else) I’m playing it safe.

It sounds good;
The DAC is no longer connected to my phone;
I’m going to help 8player improve their app;
I’m going to support Chord because they are British and I hope they will sort out their problems;

Maybe Poly was released too soon, who knows. It’s almost working properly, I’m listening to it now and all the time I’ve been typing this (has anyone else tried writing posts on a phone! Gees Louise the number of times I thought I had lost my text).

Come on Chord

Wow. My first post was a couple of lines i think. Medal for longest first post!
You say good it's British, but don't say where you are from.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,431 of 18,774
What is the exact date the GoFigure app submitted to Apple?

@chordPeeps I would hate to be you guys reading these negative comments of dissatisfied consumers, please don't take it personal.

My release day purchased unit is still on 50% of it's very first charge, pending on the GoFigure App. The only reason I bought this product is bluetooth media control of MicroSD tracks and this advertised functionality has yet to be delivered.

The holidays are coming up and I could use an extra grand to spend on goodies...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #4,432 of 18,774
What is the exact date the GoFigure app submitted to Apple?

@chordPeeps I would hate to be you guys reading these negative comments of dissatisfied consumers, please don't take it personal.

My release day purchased unit is still on 50% of it's very first charge, pending on the GoFigure App. The only reason I bought this product is bluetooth media control of MicroSD tracks and this advertised functionality has yet to be delivered.

The holidays are coming up and I could use an extra grand to spend on goodies...

I would guess the GoFigure app may not have been submitted yet, or is being reworked to be resubmitted, as the firmware is obviously still under tweaking thanks to all the constructive feedback on this forum. I am ok with that - rather have a fully baked app, or at least stable. Then we can get updates to that, too.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #4,433 of 18,774
I would guess the GoFigure app may not have been submitted yet, or is being reworked to be resubmitted, as the firmware is obviously still under tweaking thanks to all the constructive feedback on this forum. I am ok with that - rather have a fully baked app, or at least stable. Then we can get updates to that, too.
@Mojo ideas sais it was submitted a week or two back. I believe they’re waiting on firmware in order to turn it on

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #4,434 of 18,774
All I want for Xmas is:

- gapless DLNA playback
- the first second of each track to be audible
- the Poly to actually switch on when the Mojo switches on
- the Gofigure app for Android, or at least a clear timeframe of when it'll be ready

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,435 of 18,774
So I've finally been able to get my Poly to talk with my iPhone's hotspot (thanks to @Matt Bartlett, yes, changing the broadcast name worked!!). However, neither Glider, 8Player, or Creation5 are able to find the file on Poly's SD card. Any helpful suggestions??

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #4,436 of 18,774
Ok so there has been lots of talk about the charging light. Yes we made a change on 1.0.6 to make it clearer but that obviously hasn't worked.......

Poly is always on when connected to the charger but if Mojo is switched off we shut down most of the services - to be clear this doesn't mean Poly is charging the battery all the time.
The battery will charge up normally then the charge circuit will switch off.

We changed from showing white whilst charging then blue when fully charged as we wanted to be clear that the charger was still connected and supplying power.
This way you know that your 'smart' charger has not switched off as white light means power connected.
We didn't want to flash the light when the battery is charged as on Mojo this indicates a charging fault and could easily be confused.

I'm open to other suggestions if you want to post them and we will see what we can do.

I think first of all if you are going to change the behaviour of the charging light, it will be inconsistent with the way the Mojo's own charging light behaves independently (white = charging, off = charged, and you are not going to change this on the Mojo because it can't be firmware updated) - I'm ok with a change on the PolyMojo combo, because my Poly will be attached to the Mojo 99% of the time anyway, and I am going to accept a more intuitive charge light pattern.

My proposed idea is, the simplest way to indicate a charging fault would be to flash the red LED quickly - this will grab the user's attention.

When the PolyMojo is charging, I would flash their respective LED's alternating between the current charge level and white:
- White/Red (flashing) 0-25% charged
- White/Amber (flashing) 25-50% charged
- White/Green (flashing) 50-75% charged
- White/Blue (flashing) 75-95% charged
- Solid White is fully charged, but with charger still connected

This way I know roughly how much charge is left on each individual component (Poly and Mojo) if I don't have the luxury of charging them each to 100%, for example I'm in an airport terminal waiting for my flight and only have 30 minutes to charge them, and I want to know how long I can use them.

If the LED is off it means the charger is not connected or some smart charger has turned itself off and it is not charging. Similarly if a less than 2A charger is connected to the PolyMojo, and only the Mojo is being charged, the Poly light should be off to indicate that it is not charging.

If the charger is not connected, and the PolyMojo is on, they will be using the same light patterns as before, with the solid colours indicating battery level and connectivity.

The above is just my idea of course, and the way I would expect things to work and show in the most intuitive way.

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #4,437 of 18,774
I think....

When the PolyMojo is charging, I would flash their respective LED's alternating between the current charge level and white:
- White/Red (flashing) 0-25% charged
- White/Amber (flashing) 25-50% charged
- White/Green (flashing) 50-75% charged
- White/Blue (flashing) 75-95% charged
- Solid White is fully charged, but with charger still connected

The thought of the MojoPoly flashing continuously after the initial 5% drop from a full charge is already driving the OCD in me nuts.

I'd prefer solid white straight thru to about 20%, then steady red until death. But once the GoFigure app comes to fruition the battery charge level will be easier to determine with an actual percentage.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #4,438 of 18,774
new Glider beta working even better with SD card on-the-go--loving my Poly more and more every day.

thought i would buy this thing and it would just be a novelty in my collection but it's being used all the time. my Mojo was collecting dust before Poly.

I have tested Glider IOS version and it can’t discover the server in the SD card. How to set up the server? I only have folders stored the DSD and ALAC files in the root directory. FYI poly is set at hotspot mode.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #4,439 of 18,774
Not to derail this thread too much, but I just finished up reading most of it, and I'm really disappointed. How are you current Poly owners dealing with all these issues without going insane? Is this a case of the vocal few with issues overshadowing the many who are having good experiences?
I'd say I'm definitely having a good experience with mine. I use it as a Roon endpoint at home, and in hot-spot mode with a 400GB microSD card controlled by MPDluxe when I'm out. Switching between the two takes a minute or two, but no biggie.

I haven't experienced any dropouts listening to 24/96, 24/192 and DSD64 & DSD128 in either mode.

So I'm glad that Chord released it when they did.

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #4,440 of 18,774
I'd say I'm definitely having a good experience with mine. I use it as a Roon endpoint at home, and in hot-spot mode with a 400GB microSD card controlled by MPDluxe when I'm out. Switching between the two takes a minute or two, but no biggie.

I haven't experienced any dropouts listening to 24/96, 24/192 and DSD64 & DSD128 in either mode.

So I'm glad that Chord released it when they did.
I suppose you don’t have ALAC files as MPDulxe don’t support ALAC. I am unfortunately have all files in ALAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back