Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Dec 5, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #4,396 of 18,804
It obviously is possible, because originally it was supposed to turn blue when fully charged. Some (many?) of us experienced it going dark when fully charged - that was different than advertised, but still indicated a full charge. The continuous white light is less good, in my humble opinion. Not disastrously bad, but not great.

Wondering if this would make more sense? The white light stays on when charging and flashing white every 5 seconds to indicate a full charge? Sure this can be added in a firmware upgrade?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,397 of 18,804
I think John should leave the Chord official responses to Matt. Great entrepreneur but customer relations not so much. There is a lot of frustration John. Brand loyalty but frustration. Your responses are hit and miss. But a better track record than Trump online. :wink:

John is very defensive of the Poly product partly (but not exclusively) because there must be a lot of money invested in it.

As there have now been 4000 sales a lot of that development cost must have already been recovered, so perhaps we can all relax a little bit now. :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #4,398 of 18,804
John is upset because posters on here can say what they like, but if he says something similar back, it is ‘unbecoming’ of head of a company. While I understand many owners valid frustration, it will be a shame if John and Rob are persuaded off these forums. It’s the direct contact and discussions that many Chord owners appreciate.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #4,399 of 18,804
John is upset because posters on here can say what they like, but if he says something similar back, it is ‘unbecoming’ of head of a company. While I understand many owners valid frustration, it will be a shame if John and Rob are persuaded off these forums. It’s the direct contact and discussions that many Chord owners appreciate.

I couldn't agree more. It's great that people, myself included, are passionate enough about a product that they get involved in a community and help better said product.
While I agree that certain reactions/statements on both sides of the debate do cross the line, I would hate to see John/Robb/Matt stop being as active as they currently are as I also appreciate Chord's direct involvement here.
It would be great to see more moderation from both sides of the debate going forward.

I decided to wait until I get my replacement unit before I start jumping to conclusions about things (I was even actively considering putting my unit on Ebay).

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #4,401 of 18,804
That was actually happening with my Poly (and, I think, @NYanakiev 's) before the update. I'm just confused, and it would be good to hear from @Matt Bartlett as to what should be happening now. It seems that there is such a variety of experience with something as simple as charging. I get that with the massive range of different networking and use options available there will be a wide range of experience in some ways, but surely not with charging.

Ok so there has been lots of talk about the charging light. Yes we made a change on 1.0.6 to make it clearer but that obviously hasn't worked.......

Poly is always on when connected to the charger but if Mojo is switched off we shut down most of the services - to be clear this doesn't mean Poly is charging the battery all the time.
The battery will charge up normally then the charge circuit will switch off.

We changed from showing white whilst charging then blue when fully charged as we wanted to be clear that the charger was still connected and supplying power.
This way you know that your 'smart' charger has not switched off as white light means power connected.
We didn't want to flash the light when the battery is charged as on Mojo this indicates a charging fault and could easily be confused.

I'm open to other suggestions if you want to post them and we will see what we can do.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4,402 of 18,804
Hi all. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed that since the 1.0.6 firmware update, Poly no longer presents itself as a Roon endpoint when it is in hotspot mode? You might wonder why anyone would want to do that, so hopefully it will make more sense when I explain my use-case!

I travel frequently, so have Roon server installed on my laptop. When I'm at home the laptop is docked & both it & Poly are connected to my home WiFi. This works great, with absolutely no drop-outs (provided Poly is in a location where the signal is strong). When I'm at work however my laptop is docked using an Ethernet connection - leaving the WiFi chip not doing anything. I therefore put Poly into hotspot mode & connect my laptop to it. This leaves all 'normal' network duties being handled by the Ethernet connection & music being streamed over the WiFi connection to Poly. This was a great solution for me, as all music (inc. 24/192 & DSD) played without issue & no drop-outs. This was in stark contrast to connecting the Poly to our corporate WiFi, which (as I believe others have reported) was pretty much unusable - with almost constant drop-outs despite the signal being extremely strong & plenty of bandwidth available.

Since the firmware update however Roon refuses to recognise Poly as an endpoint when it is connected to Poly hotspot. This also occurs when no other network connections are present (so just connecting to Poly hotspot only & nothing else). It seems as though something in the update has blocked or stopped the broadcast traffic that Poly (as a Roon endpoint) would usually be sending. This leaves the Roon server unable to detect it on the network. @Matt Bartlett, could you confirm this behaviour & is it intended, or can it be corrected in one of the future firmware updates? BTW, I've tried this with a number of different computers (I work in IT) & it's exactly the same issue on them all.

Many thanks!

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #4,403 of 18,804
Hi @gven74 I'll get this checked as the Roon update is still to be released.

Do you have the option to use a hotspot on your laptop that you can connect Poly to instead?
I have this setup on my Win 10 laptop and it works really well.

If your computer supports it and has two WiFi adapters then in most cases you can set up a neat WiFi
bridge from one network to another. I keep Poly on my laptop hotspot then use my laptop WiFi to connect
to the local WiFi.
Sadly I think this only applies to Windows as Apple have removed this option from their later Mac Books.

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #4,404 of 18,804
Hi @gven74 I'll get this checked as the Roon update is still to be released.

Do you have the option to use a hotspot on your laptop that you can connect Poly to instead?
I have this setup on my Win 10 laptop and it works really well.

If your computer supports it and has two WiFi adapters then in most cases you can set up a neat WiFi
bridge from one network to another. I keep Poly on my laptop hotspot then use my laptop WiFi to connect
to the local WiFi.
Sadly I think this only applies to Windows as Apple have removed this option from their later Mac Books.
Hi @Matt Bartlett, thanks for the response.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing as a workaround for now & it's fine. It's not as consistent though (in terms of drop-outs) over connecting directly to Poly hotspot. For example, with some Intel NUCs I've tested the wireless bridge in Win10 is great. Switch to a Surface Pro 4 however & the drop-outs are noticeable. Must be down to the different WiFi chipsets/drivers being used in each. Connecting directly to Poly hotspot however is absolutely perfect on both devices, so that would definitely be my preferred option if available.

BTW great product that clearly has much potential. I think it's great you're actively engaging with people here, both to offer them support & better understand the myriad use-cases & different setups we all have. This can only aid development of the product & I'm more than happy to assist. For me, Poly has been perfect from day 1 & has worked exactly as advertised. Clearly that's not the case for everyone though & I can understand the frustration. I'm very much of the opinion that the more constructive feedback we can give, the quicker these issues will hopefully be understood & resolved.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #4,406 of 18,804
Thanks for the suggestion Matt, But I’ve been doing it through my iPhone. I might try setting it up from my iPad later today. If I can’t make it work I’ll email support.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #4,408 of 18,804
As others have suggested, you really should stop posting on behalf of your company and leave it up to someone with a bit more tact and respect.

The simple fact is that even after a significant delay in the release of the Poly, a lot of people in this thread have shelled out a lot of a money for a product that as at today, doesn't work as advertised and is on the verge of being unfit for purpose. It really is not good enough and while I'm sure you are busy behind the scenes trying to fix it, your attitude on here is not helping your cause...

I own a Poly, and I REALLY want it to work in the way we have all been told it is capable of working.

I can't second that. John provides valuable feedback. I haven't seen a post by him that I would call insulting. Perhaps I have thicker skin than others, but I see the head of a company engaging directly with customers. That is valuable to us all. If people don't appreciate being challenged, perhaps they shouldn't challenge Chord representatives. Dialogue is a two way street, and each of us has opinions. The alternative is a "fanboy" forum, of which I would question the value to anyone.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #4,410 of 18,804
Ok so there has been lots of talk about the charging light. Yes we made a change on 1.0.6 to make it clearer but that obviously hasn't worked.......

Poly is always on when connected to the charger but if Mojo is switched off we shut down most of the services - to be clear this doesn't mean Poly is charging the battery all the time.
The battery will charge up normally then the charge circuit will switch off.

We changed from showing white whilst charging then blue when fully charged as we wanted to be clear that the charger was still connected and supplying power.
This way you know that your 'smart' charger has not switched off as white light means power connected.
We didn't want to flash the light when the battery is charged as on Mojo this indicates a charging fault and could easily be confused.

I'm open to other suggestions if you want to post them and we will see what we can do.

This confused me yesterday. I couldn't see if Poly had connected to my network as the LED was white. Wasn't the end of the world but I did go back to the manual to see what (if anything) I'd done wrong/or had gone wrong.
I'd probably prioritise charge level status and or WLAN connectivity status over white LED showing power being supplied.
Question, will the app show Poly's charge status? That would negate the need (for most) to show active power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back