Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Sep 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #1,966 of 19,080
I thought slower would be OK when dealing with music (opposed to using one for a camera/HD video recorder), would you say it's 'slowed you down' with DAPs/phones? I thought scrolling through and playing music would be fine.

Should be fine, CD quality is around 1.4MB/s, while quadDSD is about 22MB/s. Recording 4k video on action cam needs 100MB/s write speed. SanDisk has just announced 400GB mSD card... Might have to buy one of those once my library fills the 256GB samsung card.

Ofc the speed is nice to have so you don't have to wait for hours to copy your music to the card.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,967 of 19,080
Should be fine, CD quality is around 1.4MB/s, while quadDSD is about 22MB/s. Recording 4k video on action cam needs 100MB/s write speed. SanDisk has just announced 400GB mSD card... Might have to buy one of those once my library fills the 256GB samsung card.

Ofc the speed is nice to have so you don't have to wait for hours to copy your music to the card.
We will run some tests on various makes of SD cards and report but so far we haven't noticed any slowing of Poly's operation with any particular type

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #1,969 of 19,080
As long as a slower card doesn't slow the operation on the poly, I'd be very interested in the 400gb for $250. Copying files over to it? Meh I don't mind waiting for it o/n. Just have to do it once, then just a few more files whenever you update your library.

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #1,970 of 19,080
As long as a slower card doesn't slow the operation on the poly, I'd be very interested in the 400gb for $250. Copying files over to it? Meh I don't mind waiting for it o/n. Just have to do it once, then just a few more files whenever you update your library.

It should handle DSD256 with ease

Sep 2, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #1,971 of 19,080
Both should provide a perfect digital file to your Mojo. The major sonic advantage that Poly has,is that the phone is no longer required to be anywhere near the Mojo. The RF and EMC from phones when receiving incoming data or calls is very significant and is very difficult to counter because it gets into Mojo through it's cables Poly negates all that close proximity noise there is no cable between Poly and Mojo
I'm retired and my main Mojo use is in holiday accommodation. I'm soon going on a 3 week road trip so as a stopgap I bought a £16 refurbished Neet Airstream wireless receiver. I hooked it up to the Mojo with a cheap toslink cable and connected the Mojo to the preamp with a cheap 3.5mm/RCA phono lead. Using the Neet's hotspot I streamed FLAC files from my £80 smartphone to the system. It was very impressive considering it's about a fifth of the price of my usual set-up based on an Aries Mini, 2Qute, 2* LPS and Vertere cable. This seems to demonstrate the SQ benefits of wireless never mind the convenience (much better than using OTG cables). a Poly is obviously a much more elegant and powerful solution but I'll be interested to compare it with my cheap and cheerful solution in terms of sound quality.

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,973 of 19,080
I have a possibly stupid question. I am listening music w my Hugo 2 and was contemplating that both Mojo and Hugo 2 have 2 USB connections, namely data and power. Hence could one in theory use Poly with 2 USB cables for Hugo? I am not a great fan of weighting until I am so old that I do not hear anymore...

Sep 5, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #1,974 of 19,080
I have a possibly stupid question. I am listening music w my Hugo 2 and was contemplating that both Mojo and Hugo 2 have 2 USB connections, namely data and power. Hence could one in theory use Poly with 2 USB cables for Hugo? I am not a great fan of weighting until I am so old that I do not hear anymore...
No.
The Poly is designed specifically for the Mojo, and cannot be used with the Hugo 2.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...in-1st-post-◄★☆.831347/page-123#post-13643837
It has been hinted that the 2Go will be announced at CES in January, so you may only have to wait for a few months for a Hugo 2 compatible streamer unit.

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,975 of 19,080

Couldn't agree more.

The content of my DAP microSD cards changes by no more than 5%, annually! (just a few incremental album additions, as and when I buy CDs).

As someone who prefers .flac to lossy codecs, I'm really pleased to see 400gb finally creeping onto the market. It's been a long time coming, but I feel it's a magnitude of capacity that makes a truly worthwhile permanent .flac library viable - not that 200/256gb wasn't good, but 400gb is just so much better for a .flac library that doesn't come up short when one spontaneously wishes to listen to several albums they haven't listened to for many months (or even years). 95% of my library is plain ol' Redbook, but even that's around 600gb, so, the new card puts a smile on this listener's face :)

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #1,976 of 19,080
I really need to see a demo of the current experience of playing from local SDCard files before I plunk down $629...

I think the Poly may do what I need it to do, but there are a TON of usability questions, especially when mobile, from home, to car, to coffee shop, to airport, to plane...

40 days and nights..

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,978 of 19,080
No Poly's USB port specifically looks for a Mojo USB and interrogates it to determine its on or off state so Poly only works with a Mojo. However we have a larger unit designed to go with Hugo2 that will be launched early next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back