Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Aug 5, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #1,831 of 18,774
Yeah, I thought about it afterwards, and figured phone wi-fi must travel both ways. Half asleep - sorry.

Then it just needs wifi / bt, and the app installed on the phone.

One last question though. I am reading about phones being bootlocked, or something like that. Does that mean some phones won't allow the user to install their own apps? Meaning do I need to be careful which phone to buy.

Sorry, but this is beyond confusing. I have stayed as far away from smart-phones as possible for as long as possible. (However I keep right up to date with computers.) Now I am lost in the phone market. I have already bought one that just arrived. Now it will have to go straight back to Amazon, because it doesn't have OTG. Luckily I discover this before I opened it. .... I know the Poly doesn't require OTG, but I want the phone to cover OTG.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,832 of 18,774
^
An MPD (Music Player Daemon) compatible app is needed. There are some available for Android and iOS. I haven't bothered looking yet until I have Poly in hand. I also use a Windows Phone as my primary device and will need to see if I'm in luck for an MPD for that. Chord may provide their own app as well but not sure of timing. There's mention of that throughout this thread.

Not sure about "bootlocked" or I gather, "O/S" locked phones. I suppose really cheap phones with stripped down systems or low storage capacity could be restrictive?

Which phone did you buy and are now returning? It should be fairly easy to find a good Android phone with USB OTG support. Just make sure you also get a good OTG capable cable for it.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #1,833 of 18,774
Ace thanks.

I bought the LG G5 SE. It did support OTG originally, and the reviews said it did. However due to software issues, they removed OTG support. (Have been told this by LG email.) I also bought the LG hi-fi DAC module with it, for when I am not using Mojo. .... Anyway it's a really good job I didn't open it, as the seal says 'don't accept if broken'. I might not have been able to return it if I had broken the seal.

Right now I am looking at the Blackview BV8000 Pro. It has wi-fi, BT, and OTG. Plus it's extremely rugged, which is something I really want and love about it. There are quite a few good reviews about Blackview phones, and some complaints about poor reliability. (Stuff not working and failing.)

I am also looking at the ARCHOS 50 Saphir, though the camera is a bit mediocre on that phone. Probably good enough though. Another tough phone.

I love this rugged nature and build. The LG G5 SE could have proved impossible to look after, and live with. I sometimes go for long walks, and some-days a phone would live in my jeans pockets. ... I think one of these rugged phones will have quite poor audio quality though from the headphone ports. Neither do they seem to support HD-audio. (Meaning I might get a DAP too, for walking, because I will leave my Mojo at home.) Then use the phone with Mojo or Poly. .. There are also cheaper Blackview models. (NB The BV6000 and BV6000s do not support OTG.)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #1,834 of 18,774
Has anyone seen whether the SDCard in a Poly will be available to write to via wireless? To get music onto it, it would be great if it just looked like a shared drive over wifi or a USB mass storage device when plugged into a computer...

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,835 of 18,774
Ace thanks.

I bought the LG G5 SE. It did support OTG originally, and the reviews said it did. However due to software issues, they removed OTG support. (Have been told this by LG email.) I also bought the LG hi-fi DAC module with it, for when I am not using Mojo. .... Anyway it's a really good job I didn't open it, as the seal says 'don't accept if broken'. I might not have been able to return it if I had broken the seal.

Right now I am looking at the Blackview BV8000 Pro. It has wi-fi, BT, and OTG. Plus it's extremely rugged, which is something I really want and love about it. There are quite a few good reviews about Blackview phones, and some complaints about poor reliability. (Stuff not working and failing.)

I am also looking at the ARCHOS 50 Saphir, though the camera is a bit mediocre on that phone. Probably good enough though. Another tough phone.

I love this rugged nature and build. The LG G5 SE could have proved impossible to look after, and live with. I sometimes go for long walks, and some-days a phone would live in my jeans pockets. ... I think one of these rugged phones will have quite poor audio quality though from the headphone ports. Neither do they seem to support HD-audio. (Meaning I might get a DAP too, for walking, because I will leave my Mojo at home.) Then use the phone with Mojo or Poly. .. There are also cheaper Blackview models. (NB The BV6000 and BV6000s do not support OTG.)

I haven't even heard about the other phones you listed. As far as android phones go, I suggest looking at Google Nexus or Pixel phones, and the new Nokia phones. They all feature unspoiled vanilla android and regular updates.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,836 of 18,774
Has anyone seen whether the SDCard in a Poly will be available to write to via wireless? To get music onto it, it would be great if it just looked like a shared drive over wifi or a USB mass storage device when plugged into a computer...

I am also interested by this topic. Would be a nice feature, so that I will not have to unplug it.
Just wondering why Chord did not wanted to go for dualband or 5GHz support from the start...

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,838 of 18,774
I'll not open mine, looking forward to see the first YouTube teardowns. :ksc75smile:
By the way, does anyone knows if the size of the Poly is exactly the same as the box which comes with Chord Mojo Connection Kit? I am looking to use the same case (MojoPoly) while having the adapter case inside.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #1,839 of 18,774
I'll not open mine, looking forward to see the first YouTube teardowns. :ksc75smile:
By the way, does anyone knows if the size of the Poly is exactly the same as the box which comes with Chord Mojo Connection Kit? I am looking to use the same case (MojoPoly) while having the adapter case inside.
I think John Franks posted a few weeks ago, that the case was the same size, meaning that you could reuse the case.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,841 of 18,774
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #1,842 of 18,774
But would it work with the Hugo2 or not, leaving aside the fact that it might not have the best ergonomic characteristics? I was under the impression that one of Polys feautures was that it could be used with other devices than the Mojo as well.
We designed Poly for Mojo as we want to sell many more of both products
Because we are turning the Poly on and off by interrogating the USB input on the Mojo this is done by a tiny additional microprocessor this measures many parameters of the USB in Mojo therefore it's not a simple sense circuit. The criteria it measures is complex and these measurements would not be the same for another Dac. It may well be possible for a competent engineer to trick it but it's not easy. We may at some stage in the long term make a stand alone unit for all Dacs but the mechanical design would be very different more suited to the desktop environment but nothing is in progress at this point,

Aug 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,843 of 18,774
I am also interested by this topic. Would be a nice feature, so that I will not have to unplug it.
Just wondering why Chord did not wanted to go for dualband or 5GHz support from the start...
This has been discussed earlier in the thread. It's simple really many of our customers around the globe live in apartments built of Concrete and rebar. At 5GHz the WiFi signal does not do so well as 2.4 GHz and generally the range at 5GHz is dramatically reduced

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,844 of 18,774
This has been discussed earlier in the thread. It's simple really many of our customers around the globe live in apartments built of Concrete and rebar. At 5GHz the WiFi signal does not do so well as 2.4 GHz and generally the range at 5GHz is dramatically reduced

802.11ac remedies that based on my experience with my Surface Pro laptop. I get much faster real throughputs even on 1 bar with 802.11ac against 802.11n 2.4 GHz. Then again, not all DAP and smartphones support 802.11ac so implementing that with the Mojo will get mixed results.

Aug 7, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #1,845 of 18,774
A few more notes/questions. I am looking to use Mojo/Poly with a MicroSD card as a transport, controlled by a smartphone.

As I look at MPD clients on iOS they all seem to want to want a Server IP and port. This is usually fine with proper servers since they stay put and don't move networks (so a traditional music MPD server doesn't get different IP addresses, its always fixed)

So, as an example lets say I have MojoPoly on my home network:
  • If I am sharp, I can set up a DHCP address reservation just for Poly. (Already an advanced use case)
  • Now I enter this IP into the App config, connect and I would be in business!
IMG_6155.PNG

Now, when I move mobile - into a coffee shop:
  • My phone is connected to the coffee shop network.
  • I have to get Poly connected, and somehow get its address to plug into the App?
  • Now I need to reconfigure the player app with this address...
I would presumably need to do that for each and every network I use. Work, Home, Coffee shop(s) etc, and specifically the address would change in each use case.

If I create a P2P network then that would "work better" since the two devices would always be the same, but then my phone will be unable to access data while using Poly because the "network" would just be a little island with no web/mail etc access...

So whats the thought here? How is this made more seamless than I suspect its going to be? Will Chord provide an App that can use bonjour/mDNS/DLNA to find the poly?

Do any iOS existing players do this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back