Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 6, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #1,696 of 18,889
Wifi is fine for streaming in home from pc or some other networked source.
But on the go a mobile wifi hotspot from phone will decrease battery life a lot, even more when streaming from the phone since the connection is in active use.
Here the mSD card comes in, its going to save some life since we don't have to transfer over the data actively. but the darn thing still requires a wifi connection for controls :/

Now a low powered bluetooth control interface would be perfect. Should be doable with software updates. Just have the BT in some control mode, instead of being a bt audio device/headset.
Shouldn't be too hard with a proprietary Poly control/settings app for the phone. Would be somewhat similar how activity trackers tie in with a app, and transfer over HR data among other things,
here we would just have the library data for the sd card and then play/pause etc controls.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,697 of 18,889
But on the go a mobile wifi hotspot from phone will decrease battery life a lot, even more when streaming from the phone since the connection is in active use.

Now a low powered bluetooth control interface would be perfect. Should be doable with software updates. Just have the BT in some control mode, instead of being a bt audio device/headset

Until a low power Bluetooth control interface is developed (that is if Poly is BTLE capable) I have no issue tethering to my iPhone 7 plus. My daughter did 2 hours of YouTube streaming while driving the other day and my phone battery dropped approx. 20%. and if I get in a low battery condition there is also the draconian method of using a power bank to charge simultaneously (and yes I realize Poly is less mobile in that configuration)

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #1,698 of 18,889
The way I interpret the manual is that Poly's own WiFi hotspot has no other purpose than to configure Poly's external WiFi connections.

First activate Poly's WiFi hotspot ("Access Point mode"), and connect to it from a phone. On the phone, launch the web browser and open a webpage residing on the Poly. This webpage will let you enter SSID and password of WiFi networks. When you are done, Poly will reboot and try to connect to one of the configured WiFi networks.

The way I read it, the Poly's own WiFi hotspot is not used for any music playback functions.

Poly's WIFI hotspot for configuration was mentioned in the 6 Poly lesson videos back in May, about that time period John had a post that indicated they decided to drop Poly's own hotspot feature because every smartphones can do their own hotspot. Until recently, post#1647, John mentioned they added this feature back.
So my interpretation is that the Poly's hotspot feature is NOT only for configure itsself.

Jul 6, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,699 of 18,889
Here the mSD card comes in, its going to save some life since we don't have to transfer over the data actively. but the darn thing still requires a wifi connection for controls :/

Now a low powered bluetooth control interface would be perfect. Should be doable with software updates. Just have the BT in some control mode, instead of being a bt audio device/headset.
Shouldn't be too hard with a proprietary Poly control/settings app for the phone. Would be somewhat similar how activity trackers tie in with a app, and transfer over HR data among other things,
here we would just have the library data for the sd card and then play/pause etc controls.

My guess is Chord does not develop Poly's own app, they design Poly to adept existing apps. And if I recall correctly I can't remember any MPD or DLNA app that uses bluetooth for controlling playback.

Jul 6, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,700 of 18,889
Did you notice this in the manual !!

16 MQA

Poly will seamlessly play back audio formats including MQA files. When playing MQA files Poly will perform a first stage software decode.

That's a nice addition they managed to get in before release.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #1,702 of 18,889
Poly is a WiFi hotspot too so if you've paired to your phone it will remember Poly so there's no difficulties in using Wifi for SD control anywhere and linking is automatic

Thanks for all the responses here, John. My question: the manual says:
"5 Open a web browser window, Poly’s internal webpage will now be displayed for con guration
Enter the SSID of your network followed by 6 the network password
Select ‘playback mode’. If you are using Roon then you must select ‘Roon mode’, for everything else select ‘Other’. Then click ‘Save’ "

Will the settings for each network also be saved independently? So, for example, if I use Roon on one network and Airplay on another, is that stored or will I have to change the mode each time? If not, seems like a lot of configuring - that tool will be glued to me!

PS: any update on the first full production shipping date?

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,703 of 18,889

No using Wifi for control only of the SD certainly doesn't decrease the battery playing time of your phone significantly but using any high datarate streaming services will do as they will anyhow but pairing to Poly makes virtually very little difference.
If only you could control playback from the internal mSDcard trough bluetooth :/ rather than having to rely on wifi networking.
I can confirm that by the time of our volume production expected shipping in August we are pleased to state that Poly's SD card will also be controllable via Blue tooth for use in applications where Wi Fi is not yet allowed such as some Asian airlines. We will have our own Ap for this control. Note any sample units shipped before this date will be automatically updated with this and other features around this time when connected to the internet.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,704 of 18,889
^^

I play a mixture of videos (Educational and Youtube) via VLC and music on the iPhone via Mojo while on the go. The Mojo is much less harsh on the ears with videos over extended period of time :).

Can you confirm playback of audio via videos is not a problem with the Poly? VLC preferable to test if possible, although any video app like Youtube should suffice. As long as it spits out audio.

Thanks. Considering Poly or Hugo₂ for this years Head-Fi budget.

I use a FlipBelt (https://flipbelt.com/flipbelt) for on the go and wireless would be great. Using a 1M USB cable for now. Not obtrusive, but not wireless. With the FlipBelt, you don't even notice you are carrying a iPhone and Chord Mojo because the weight is balanced with your center of gravity. Should easily accommodate a Poly.

belt_ip7.png

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #1,707 of 18,889
Poly's WIFI hotspot for configuration was mentioned in the 6 Poly lesson videos back in May, about that time period John had a post that indicated they decided to drop Poly's own hotspot feature because every smartphones can do their own hotspot. Until recently, post#1647, John mentioned they added this feature back.
So my interpretation is that the Poly's hotspot feature is NOT only for configure itsself.
Because we were experiencing severe delays in starting production due to critical materials leadtimes going out by many weeks we decided that we had the time to write the additional software that will allow Poly to act as it's own WiFi Hotspot. This of course will enable some addional ways and other products servers to connect to Poly. Although we cannot think of many use cases that the phone's own hot spot won't handle.
^^

I play a mixture of videos (Educational and Youtube) via VLC and music on the iPhone via Mojo while on the go. The Mojo is much less harsh on the ears with videos over extended period of time :).

Can you confirm playback of audio via videos is not a problem with the Poly? VLC preferable to test if possible, although any video app like Youtube should suffice. As long as it spits out audio.

Thanks. Considering Poly or Hugo₂ for this years Head-Fi budget.

I use a FlipBelt (https://flipbelt.com/flipbelt) for on the go and wireless would be great. Using a 1M USB cable for now. Not obtrusive, but not wireless. With the FlipBelt, you don't even notice you are carrying a iPhone and Chord Mojo because the weight is balanced with your center of gravity. Should easily accommodate a Poly.

yes they will play perfectly over AirPlay or the VLC app

Jul 7, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #1,708 of 18,889
So if the Poly does create its own wifi hotspot, that means the iPod Touch and iPad (without LTE) will be able to AirPlay via wifi to the Poly -> Mojo then? If yes then this is very good news and will probably bump me back over to the other side of the fence which says "buy" instead of "wait and see".

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,709 of 18,889
So if the Poly does create its own wifi hotspot, that means the iPod Touch and iPad (without LTE) will be able to AirPlay via wifi to the Poly -> Mojo then? If yes then this is very good news and will probably bump me back over to the other side of the fence which says "buy" instead of "wait and see".
Yes it can do as you say, though you'll still need your phone to set it up.
You won't need that fence at all with the connectivity that Poly now has! Truly it is music from anywhere or Poly's own SD into Mojo or serving out from Poly to your home or office too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back