Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,726 of 19,086
This of course has been explained many times in this thread. I can understand your view point though. I think we at Chord made a mistake by initially calling it an addition to Mojo ..... it is really so much more than that! Although Mojo is far more complicated than any other mobile Dac sold.
Poly is actually even far more complicated and incredibly intricate to manufacture than Mojo. Simply put there is nothing like it on the planet. If you spend over five or ten thousand pounds on a server or streamer and player you might possibly find a better combination but I very much doubt you will! They would be pretty weighty and bulky to lug around too and inconvenient along with their mains supplies.
We know Poly's performance as a product that can do so much is amazing value. I'm sure your thinking that you will be the judge of that. We are very happy to let you very soon and we are anticipating indeed all of you to judge Poly and are looking forward to all of you getting to grips with it. I think you'll enjoy it immensely it's convenient and a lot fun.

This is very exciting, John.

My dealer has one pre ordered for me, along with Hugo 2, since February!

Hugo 2 should be here within a week and we will continue to anticipate the Poly. For us, the SD card is exactly what we need, but it will be fun to explore the other features.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,727 of 19,086
Yes, I think John Franks confirmed back in January that the poly could act as a source for the Hugo 2, provided that you had a usb cable. This also means that the poly will work with other dacs with a USB input.
I contacted Chord direct about this as I wanted to use Poly with my Hugo2. Apparently the two are not compatible due to some issues with power configuration when connected. So I guess you are restricted to only ever using the Mojo DAC.
I'm slightly disappointed as I was hoping to use Hugo2 at home streaming from NAS and Mojo on the go with an SD card.
However from a business perspective it makes sense because if it was compatible there would be no incentive to by the Hugo 2Go module when it's released.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,728 of 19,086
Yes there would be, just think of the form factor...
A Poly strapped to H2 with a dangling female micro USB to male micro USB cable, would look a lot less neat than a purposely build Add on... if Add on is the correct term for 2Go :wink:

Anyway I am a little irritated how Poly is not supposed to be compatible with H2, due to 'power configuration'... How can H2 dismiss a source if it's able to supply the 5V DC for the handshake?

Cheers

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #1,729 of 19,086
This of course has been explained many times in this thread. I can understand your view point though. I think we at Chord made a mistake by initially calling it an addition to Mojo ..... it is really so much more than that! Although Mojo is far more complicated than any other mobile Dac sold.
Poly is actually even far more complicated and incredibly intricate to manufacture than Mojo. Simply put there is nothing like it on the planet. If you spend over five or ten thousand pounds on a server or streamer and player you might possibly find a better combination but I very much doubt you will! They would be pretty weighty and bulky to lug around too and inconvenient along with their mains supplies.
We know Poly's performance as a product that can do so much is amazing value. I'm sure your thinking that you will be the judge of that. We are very happy to let you very soon and we are anticipating indeed all of you to judge Poly and are looking forward to all of you getting to grips with it. I think you'll enjoy it immensely it's convenient and a lot fun.

as much i like my hugo and my mojo and have great respect for your products this statment is hard to swallow. i took a raspberry pi zero w and build a add on for my mojo than can deliver 90% of the function of the poly (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2282585). this with the standard rune audio image, the missing functions are sw related, not hw limitations (didn't you post a message how excited the rune people reacted about your prototype? btw the runeaudio os has a fabulous sound quality).

a new pcb desing is expensive and even more the firmware and the support of this product. i hope your poly is a success, it's brave from you to produce such a high maintenance system, at the end a portable mini computer. i think the price is set at a level that not reflects the hardware cost but the engineering for supporting and developing this platform in the future :wink:. sadly i think with a lower price and thus bigger sales success rate would be higher. it's hard to deliver high customer satisfaction with this complex and not easy to understand design (dlna/upnp - renderer server side - wifi vs bluetooth, airplay). wish you luck - maybe i order one if the firmware is stable. my stack with the raspberry and mojo delivers great flexibility and superb sound quality, for audio tech nerds it is a fun thing to have.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #1,730 of 19,086
I contacted Chord direct about this as I wanted to use Poly with my Hugo2. Apparently the two are not compatible due to some issues with power configuration when connected. So I guess you are restricted to only ever using the Mojo DAC.
I'm slightly disappointed as I was hoping to use Hugo2 at home streaming from NAS and Mojo on the go with an SD card.
However from a business perspective it makes sense because if it was compatible there would be no incentive to by the Hugo 2Go module when it's released.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...-in-1st-post-◄★☆.831347/page-12#post-13149648

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,731 of 19,086
as much i like my hugo and my mojo and have great respect for your products this statment is hard to swallow. i took a raspberry pi zero w and build a add on for my mojo than can deliver 90% of the function of the poly (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2282585). this with the standard rune audio image, the missing functions are sw related, not hw limitations (didn't you post a message how excited the rune people reacted about your prototype? btw the runeaudio os has a fabulous sound quality).

a new pcb desing is expensive and even more the firmware and the support of this product. i hope your poly is a success, it's brave from you to produce such a high maintenance system, at the end a portable mini computer. i think the price is set at a level that not reflects the hardware cost but the engineering for supporting and developing this platform in the future :wink:. sadly i think with a lower price and thus bigger sales success rate would be higher. it's hard to deliver high customer satisfaction with this complex and not easy to understand design (dlna/upnp - renderer server side - wifi vs bluetooth, airplay). wish you luck - maybe i order one if the firmware is stable. my stack with the raspberry and mojo delivers great flexibility and superb sound quality, for audio tech nerds it is a fun thing to have.

This looks really cool! Can one stream Tidal from their phone to it?

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,732 of 19,086
tidal streaming with bubble upnp over 3/4g works fine, not offline content. i use most of the time local micro sd card playback or radio streaming, at home streaming via nas. the idea behinde poly is not new, now possible portable due low power cpu and wifi parts.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,733 of 19,086

I know you can have a lot of fun steaming with a raspberry pie, but I can assure you that it simply does not compare with Poly's performance.
You must realise we've been working on this for nearly two years it's not something we've just put together with a bit of off the shelf software. Poly really is just a fraction of the size of the Rasberry pie especially with all the other stuff you'll need too! Poly will work for nine hours how long would you expect your pie to run with a comparable sized battery to Poly's. Poly's software is stable and more importantly it's very very fast.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,734 of 19,086
i get short of 6 hour out of a 1600ma battery in this design (and it's smaler in volume as the poly), with a 2200 ma battery 8 hour - this with the power hungry rune audio os (because performance optimized). i tested volumio os and this os drains 25% less power = up to 10 hours with 2200 ma. but thats not my achievment, thats because the raspberry pi zero w is so optimized and well designed.

no need for a infight here, can't coment on sound quality of the poly / mojo combo. i have the feeling that the pressure that is generated on this product to be a succes is realy high, i understand that - the investment for your company must be very high here. it's brave to do this investment on this system focused on the mojo.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #1,735 of 19,086
Yes there would be, just think of the form factor...
A Poly strapped to H2 with a dangling female micro USB to male micro USB cable, would look a lot less neat than a purposely build Add on... if Add on is the correct term for 2Go :wink:

Anyway I am a little irritated how Poly is not supposed to be compatible with H2, due to 'power configuration'... How can H2 dismiss a source if it's able to supply the 5V DC for the handshake?

Cheers
Yes the form factor is a good point but I was really referring to those that already had a Mojo/Poly and you also had a desktop DAC, I would certainly want to be able to use the varied functionality of the Poly with my desktop system as well and then grab it for when I head out with my Mojo. I wouldn't mind a small USB cable in that scenario.

Anyway judging by the post earlier in this thread it looks like there is some conflicting responses from Chord around Poly's connectivity to other DACs. Would be great to have it confirmed here for us all because if it was compatible with other DACs there could be people buying a Poly to use at home even if they didn't have a Mojo. Certainly to get that sort of functionality in a desktop streamer/SD reader/Roon etc etc I would imagine you'd be paying a fair bit more than the cost of a Poly.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,736 of 19,086
Yes the form factor is a good point but I was really referring to those that already had a Mojo/Poly and you also had a desktop DAC, I would certainly want to be able to use the varied functionality of the Poly with my desktop system as well and then grab it for when I head out with my Mojo. I wouldn't mind a small USB cable in that scenario.

Anyway judging by the post earlier in this thread it looks like there is some conflicting responses from Chord around Poly's connectivity to other DACs. Would be great to have it confirmed here for us all because if it was compatible with other DACs there could be people buying a Poly to use at home even if they didn't have a Mojo. Certainly to get that sort of functionality in a desktop streamer/SD reader/Roon etc etc I would imagine you'd be paying a fair bit more than the cost of a Poly.

Yeah for that scenario the cable connection wouldn't be much of a problem.

I guess we will find out soon which statement concerning compatibility is correct :wink:

Cheers

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,738 of 19,086

For users who are DAP oriented, Poly sounds complicated. But for CAS users who use say, microRendu or sms200, the dlna server is relatively basic and may provide very good SQ. I'm certainly looking forward to Poly.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #1,739 of 19,086
Have you found an interface Usb otg to place between POLY and Blu2, Dave or Hugo2?

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #1,740 of 19,086
Have you found an interface Usb otg to place between POLY and Blu2, Dave or Hugo2?
A micro to micro otg cable should do for H2 and poly, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back