Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 14, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,366 of 18,889
watched videos.  

Can this be listened to on the go, without wifi network, including airplane mode for travel?  I think so, but wanted to double check.  It seems like it needs just the connection from phone to poly to be active. 
Video number four seems to indicate this. But even if it can it says you can play PCM and DSD files stored on the card. What I don't hear are the words native resolution, full fidelity, without down sampling. If, and it's a big if the poly can send files on the SD card directly to the Hugo, does that not make the smartphone nothing more than a remote control? Or does the signal bounce back and forth via Bluetooth and get down sampled? Seems like a simple yes or no question but hard to get the answer.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,367 of 18,889
On video Poly Lessons 4 where can you find the MPoD Music Player Daemon (MPD) app. Can't find it on Apple App Store. @mojo_ideas will Chord be coming out with its own app for Poly?

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,368 of 18,889
  On video Poly Lessons 4 where can you find the MPoD Music Player Daemon (MPD) app. Can't find it on Apple App Store. @mojo_ideas will Chord be coming out with its own app for Poly?

I can answer this, no Chord are not developing any apps. Here is an example of an MPD remote app for Apple: 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpdluxe/id991758069?mt=8

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,370 of 18,889
Credible source now indicates May release  
mad.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,373 of 18,889
  I may be completely off the mark, but I suspect there are two main reasons for all the confusion surrounding Poly:

1. The sales and marketing teams at Chord forced a product announcement before it was ready, probably around 6-9 months too early.

2. There is some concern at Chord that they got the pricing wrong and they are working hard to add software value to the product to make it better value for us the end users.

The software could be regularly field updated but I suspect they want to get it perfect first time this is very very difficult to achieve, maybe even impossible. The obvious reason for this desire is that software development is very expensive, especially if its being done by and external entity.

I hope the Poly is a success for Chord like the Mojo is, but we will only know for sure after the next few months. 

Designers always work better if there is a deadline, but with a product like Poly it's never been done before we have been pushing at the unknown boundries of what is technically possible feeding in user information and requested new parameters of peformance. When I came up with the idea for Poly I had no idea it could be done within the power constraints and performance criteria that would make it viable! What has been done was not thought to be possible but we have driven the development through to production. So frankly I don't care if we are a few weeks late against our initial predictions Poly is a truly amazing piece of kit that I know our customers will love because it works and works very fast and very well. I know you will love it!

I believe these 2 posts provide a pretty good summary of this whole thread.

Steve hit the nail on the head and I agree with him that Chord most probably is trying to add some value to the product before launch.
This would actually be a real win-2-win scenario. Great news for us as the product will hopefully be better and for Chord as by doing that they can increase sales, plus it would demonstrate that they do care about the feedback everyone shared.

I guess the next 1 month or so is more about waiting and seeing what can be actually achieved within this short time-frame but I am confident that some of the issues raised here will be tackled and incorporated in the end product.

Lets's see...

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #1,374 of 18,889
  watched videos.  

Can this be listened to on the go, without wifi network, including airplane mode for travel?  I think so, but wanted to double check.  It seems like it needs just the connection from phone to poly to be active. 

on the go the (mojo)poly has to be connected to your or smartphone's personal hotspot (or other device) via wifi or bluetooth in order to use it.
in airplane mode you have the option to enable wifi.

good news that I learned from Chord few minutes ago is that Poly can save device/network information so when you leave home and lose the wifi connectivity, Poly will try to connect to the next device (i.e. your smartphone's personal hotspot).

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #1,377 of 18,889
Video number four seems to indicate this. But even if it can it says you can play PCM and DSD files stored on the card. What I don't hear are the words native resolution, full fidelity, without down sampling. If, and it's a big if the poly can send files on the SD card directly to the Hugo, does that not make the smartphone nothing more than a remote control? Or does the signal bounce back and forth via Bluetooth and get down sampled? Seems like a simple yes or no question but hard to get the answer.

exactly, looking forward this answer.
whether can play DSD file natively will be a deal breaker . on the go ,using smartphone do the remote control and visually display what's playing and library in the sd card, this is where smartphone good at, and leaving the signal processing to Poly/mojo , where  these brothers good at. 
this can justify Poly's price , as a replacement for a full function portable player like AKxxx.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #1,378 of 18,889

on the go the (mojo)poly has to be connected to your or smartphone's personal hotspot (or other device) via wifi or bluetooth in order to use it.

good news that I learned from Chord few minutes ago is that Poly can save device/network information so when you leave home and lose the wifi connectivity, Poly will try to connect to the next device (i.e. your smartphone's personal hotspot).

In airplane, although you can enable wifi, you can't enable personal hotspot unless you turn on 3G(this means disable airplane mode).
In the video 1 , they directly connect laptop to Poly, so you can enter SSID, password of your router, I wonder if we can just stream music to Poly by that "direct" connect, without setting poly to connect to local wifi. This will block your laptop from going to internet, but solve the airplane mode problem, by using iPhone to "directly connect".

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,379 of 18,889
I am currently trialing Roon and HQPlayer in anticipation of getting the Poly which I have pre-ordered.  I have just watched all the videos but still have two unanswered questions.  Hoping someone can help.

1. Can I stream from Roon to HQPlayer to Poly?
2. If no, can I connect Poly to the Roon / HQ Player combo via Bluetooth from my laptop without signal loss?

Thanks
We think you should be ok with this, would need to try it out to be sure.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #1,380 of 18,889

will the "mode" (roon, ..) also be saved individually with each ssid?

regards
guenter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back