Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,306 of 18,896
I have the Mojo and the Hugo2 on pre-order.
I would have use for Poly but no urgent use and since there was the information that there will be the same for Hugo2 i dont know what to do.
Unfortunatly i got lost to be update with the main Chord threads so can someone summarize what we know about the Poly for Hugo2.

One question for Poly. If i have choosen my playlist with my mobile can i close BT or the WLAN Hub or must it be always on in order to listen.
Thanks

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,309 of 18,896
Question for Rob: is there any reason to expect that the Mojo should/could sound better with Poly than without? That could be the case when using the Mojo wireless through Poly rather than connect it to a computer with a cable.

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #1,311 of 18,896
I really don't see any way the Mojo would sound better with a Poly than it does with a USB cable connected. I think best case scenario is if it sounded the same which would be just fine with me. I'm completely happy with sound quality now, just hate having my source connected to my Mojo with an on the go USB cable. Convenience and the added storage would be enough for me.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #1,312 of 18,896
I really don't see any way the Mojo would sound better with a Poly than it does with a USB cable connected. I think best case scenario is if it sounded the same which would be just fine with me. I'm completely happy with sound quality now, just hate having my source connected to my Mojo with an on the go USB cable. Convenience and the added storage would be enough for me.

A couple people in the Mojo thread are debating the benefit of adding a intona to the usb chain.
I don't think it would be reduculous to think the Poly would have a similar effect

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,313 of 18,896
A couple people in the Mojo thread are debating the benefit of adding a intona to the usb chain.
I don't think it would be reduculous to think the Poly would have a similar effect

Also, some people would argue that the quality of the USB cable between laptop and mojo makes a difference. I did not believe it at first, but when I tested the audioquest cinnamon it changed my perspective. So then the question would be what quality the poly would bring to the table.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,314 of 18,896
Also, some people would argue that the quality of the USB cable between laptop and mojo makes a difference. I did not believe it at first, but when I tested the audioquest cinnamon it changed my perspective. So then the question would be what quality the poly would bring to the table.

I had not thought of that... I had only considered that Poly has its own battery and I guess that it's process'would be designed to he very quiet. Add to that the usb connection to the Mojo would not need to have the power output of a normal usb (I'm guessing since I have never had a device that had a USB for audio only)

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #1,315 of 18,896

That's what I mean when I say the poly is a fancy alternative to a usb cable. 

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #1,316 of 18,896

That's what I mean when I say the poly is a fancy alternative to a usb cable. 

The best cable, is no cable at all! And that's exactly what Poly is! It is the most transparent connection to Mojo that currently exists.  

I believe most people should notice an uplift in sound quality, especially when playing music from the built in SD card reader.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,317 of 18,896

The best cable, is no cable at all! And that's exactly what Poly is! It is the most transparent connection to Mojo that currently exists.  

I believe most people should notice an uplift in sound quality, especially when playing music from the built in SD card reader.

I would be thrilled if there is a Mojo Redeux or Part 2 that combines the two units into one.  But I was giving this some thought this morning, and I think if Chord comes out with a DAP with the same specs as the Mojo, with a screen and appropriately balled GUI and wifi, but without all the noisy junk that comes with cellular, that would just be fantastic.  Given the price of a mojo+poly, we're already in that territory, aren't we?  

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,318 of 18,896
  I would be thrilled if there is a Mojo Redeux or Part 2 that combines the two units into one.  But I was giving this some thought this morning, and I think if Chord comes out with a DAP with the same specs as the Mojo, with a screen and appropriately balled GUI and wifi, but without all the noisy junk that comes with cellular, that would just be fantastic.  Given the price of a mojo+poly, we're already in that territory, aren't we?  

Chord have already thought of this but decided that whatever hardware they end up using will eventually be obsolete and would need replacing in the future. Their idea with MojoPoly is that as Phone's and music servers advance in technology, they will still work just as fast with Poly. On top of that Poly can recieve firmware updates in the future and expand its capability.

With all that said, I would love to have an all in one unit myself but as of now I don't think its going to happen. Circumstances may one day change though..

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,319 of 18,896

That isn't accurate. Poly adds a wireless layer to the path, which must be further converted to USB interface before it enters the Mojo. The data connection becomes more complicated than a direct USB cable to the source.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,320 of 18,896
That isn't accurate. Poly adds a wireless layer to the path, which must be further converted to USB interface before it enters the Mojo. The data connection becomes more complicated than a direct USB cable to the source.

That's true but not everyone is going to be streaming their music with Poly. Some will add music on the sd card and playback using their phone as an interface. Using this method, it is pretty much as direct as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back