Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Mar 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,322 of 18,865

Chord have already thought of this but decided that whatever hardware they end up using will eventually be obsolete and would need replacing in the future. Their idea with MojoPoly is that as Phone's and music servers advance in technology, they will still work just as fast with Poly. On top of that Poly can recieve firmware updates in the future and expand its capability.

With all that said, I would love to have an all in one unit myself but as of now I don't think its going to happen. Circumstances may one day change though..

I think adding an android DAP reference design to an "integrated" version of the Mojo will absolutely make it go obsolete faster, but that's merely a fact and not a reason that it's a bad idea.  After all, an entire category of integrated audio components exist that *also* goes obsolete faster, but consumers understand that, and pay the price for convenience--which I have to say for a portable device is at a premium.  Whereas, I might have a stack of individually upgradeable gear at home, it would be somewhat embarrassing to carry a stack in my pocket.  Which in this case, I also mean to include the phone itself as a source component.  

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,323 of 18,865
A couple people in the Mojo thread are debating the benefit of adding a intona to the usb chain.
I don't think it would be reduculous to think the Poly would have a similar effect
The need for a USB galvanic isolator is reduced beyond measure when a floating source device with minimal RF and ground modulation such as a player or phone. Isolation might only be required with and previous generation old and noisy laptop or PC. With a well designed product like Poly a USB isolator is not required and would simply get in the way

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,324 of 18,865
Poly appears to be, not part of planned releases but a reaction to customers' feedback.  

I think they set out to release the best portable DAC/amp on the market, (Hugo) but then provide the "average" smart phone listener the opportunity to enter the audiophile world.  The design is small, eye catching and even allows for a listener to share with another.  They stuffed major $ and tech from Hugo into the smaller Mojo.  

This was met with overwhelming success. 

Customers loved the definition of sound and wanted it protected. 

out came a high quality leather case. 

Customers wanted to have something to deal with the cable; especially the Apple CCK.

out came the module.

Customers wanted some way to stream music through Mojo. 

Customers wanted some way to listen off line music through Mojo. 

Customers hate the CCK cable with its short shelf life but universally supported Chord's refusal to hand over technology to Apple.  

Chord came out with Poly.   Poly and a case allows for one piece design.

This has evolved naturally through the means of listening to customer feedback. 

This is a business model that should be studied.  

As they have pushed the tech limits, they have grown, and we have benefited.  They pushed the envelop and brought the highest processing possible to the smallest unit at the price of a smart phone. 

Now they've even revisited the successful Hugo with the new and evolving technology giving us Hugo 2.  

I've ordered Hugo 2 and am getting Poly for my wife.  

Like others have said, Chord has enhanced our lives through their labors.  Its a very exciting time for music fans.

It may be fun to listen to the 50th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's this Spring though such marvelous gear.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #1,325 of 18,865
Well going back to the RF layer issue to reenforce what was previously said, additionally there is no additional layer though. As data packets are tranfered and buffered either by wire from the phone's processor or RF and Poly's processor it's buffered then Mojos USB circuitry controls the timing by which Mojo received the data there is no "extra layer "

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,326 of 18,865
That isn't accurate. Poly adds a wireless layer to the path, which must be further converted to USB interface before it enters the Mojo. The data connection becomes more complicated than a direct USB cable to the source.

That's true but not everyone is going to be streaming their music with Poly. Some will add music on the sd card and playback using their phone as an interface. Using this method, it is pretty much as direct as it gets.

Poly appears to be, not part of planned releases but a reaction to customers' feedback.  

I think they set out to release the best portable DAC/amp on the market, (Hugo) but then provide the "average" smart phone listener the opportunity to enter the audiophile world.  The design is small, eye catching and even allows for a listener to share with another.  They stuffed major $ and tech from Hugo into the smaller Mojo.  

This was met with overwhelming success. 

Customers loved the definition of sound and wanted it protected. 

out came a high quality leather case. 

Customers wanted to have something to deal with the cable; especially the Apple CCK.

out came the module.

Customers wanted some way to stream music through Mojo. 

Customers wanted some way to listen off line music through Mojo. 

Customers hate the CCK cable with its short shelf life but universally supported Chord's refusal to hand over technology to Apple.  

Chord came out with Poly.   Poly and a case allows for one piece design.

This has evolved naturally through the means of listening to customer feedback. 

This is a business model that should be studied.  

As they have pushed the tech limits, they have grown, and we have benefited.  They pushed the envelop and brought the highest processing possible to the smallest unit at the price of a smart phone. 

Now they've even revisited the successful Hugo with the new and evolving technology giving us Hugo 2.  

I've ordered Hugo 2 and am getting Poly for my wife.  

Like others have said, Chord has enhanced our lives through their labors.  Its a very exciting time for music fans.

It may be fun to listen to the 50th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's this Spring though such marvelous gear.  
Thank you for your thoughts Peter it makes us sound more professional and far sighted than perhaps we actually are. I think its more a case of yes listening to our customers and especially you guys and then keeping aware of what can now be done with current technologies that couldn't have been done three years ago. Me and Matt then sit down with Rob And Rajiv Then assessing what we'd have to do and what would be the cost to capture those advances and bring them to the market in such a useful way do that we'd be really happy to buy what we end up with as a product. Invariably we low ball the expense and the time but we get there in the end ahead of our piers. Over all it's about loving audio technology and pushing it as far as we can.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,327 of 18,865
Well going back to the RF layer issue to reenforce what was previously said, additionally there is no additional layer though. As data packets are tranfered and buffered either by wire from the phone's processor or RF and Poly's processor it's buffered then Mojos USB circuitry controls the timing by which Mojo received the data there is no "extra layer "

That's great to hear I'm always keen to reduce RF... In my city I can track my phones signal strength audibly if I don't use airplane mode.
Although I remember low RF being mentioned before getting more details is always nice!
More details are always nice

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,328 of 18,865

Sadly @Mython has not posted anywhere on Head-Fi for over 4 weeks. Hopefully he will be back soon, and will be able to update the first post.

Yeah its kinda concerning when our regular fellow forum posters dont have any activity in 2 months.

Very strange not having him around in the mojo thread.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,329 of 18,865
Yeah its kinda concerning when our regular fellow forum posters dont have any activity in 2 months.

I'm not speaking for Mython but it's possible that after the announcement of Poly all the confusion and negative comments made him take a break from head-fi. Just speculating ..

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #1,330 of 18,865

I'm not speaking for Mython but it's possible that after the announcement of Poly all the confusion and negative comments made him take a break from head-fi. Just speculating ..

I think you might be right.   It started to become unenjoyable  to read and like a personal vendetta against Chord rather than healthy debate.  I love Mojo and think Poly is a great addition to the convenience factor, especially off line content.  Pretty cool to have direct streaming to the device; it is like a computer itself.  Anyone decide which SD card to buy?

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,331 of 18,865

This was posted just a few hours after Mython had spent several posts trying to 'rightly or wrongly' (I assume wrongly in the eyes of the Mods) persuade GoG to change his style http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-specs-in-1st-post/615#post_13165218 .

At the time i assumed that he had been banned for 30 days, to calm down, so i was surprised not to see him return. I did make enquiries in a PM, and was told 'by a friend of a friend of a friend' that he is OK. Consequently I have not made any further enquiries, and waited to see how things panned out - I guess that he is not returning.

Mython did a very good job creating post #3 in the Mojo thread, and left some reserved posts at the start of this thread (presumably for another post #3). One potential issue for Chord is that only Mython can edit post #3, so no one else can populate post #3 in his abscence - a pity given that all the new users are bound to accumulate a lot of 'Poly operating experience', which could be useful to collect together.
normal_smile .gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #1,332 of 18,865

This was posted just a few hours after Mython had spent several posts trying to 'rightly or wrongly' (I assume wrongly in the eyes of the Mods) persuade GoG to change his style http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-specs-in-1st-post/615#post_13165218 .

At the time i assumed that he had been banned for 30 days, to calm down, so i was surprised not to see him return. I did make enquiries in a PM, and was told 'by a friend of a friend of a friend' that he is OK. Consequently I have not made any further enquiries, and waited to see how things panned out - I guess that he is not returning.

Mython did a very good job creating post #3 in the Mojo thread, and left some reserved posts at the start of this thread (presumably for another post #3). One potential issue for Chord is that only Mython can edit post #3, so no one else can populate post #3 in his abscence - a pity given that all the new users are bound to accumulate a lot of 'Poly operating experience', which could be useful to collect together.
normal_smile%20.gif

I'm sure Mython will come back to the forums one day (hope he is okay) and get working in a FAQ section for Poly. 

GoG is grumpyoldguy, he hasn't been banned as far as I know.  

When you said: "At the time i assumed that he had been banned for 30 days, to calm down, so i was surprised not to see him return"    

Were you talking about Mython or Gog?

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,333 of 18,865
  I'm sure Mython will come back to the forums one day (hope he is okay) and get working in a FAQ section for Poly. 

GoG is grumpyoldguy, he hasn't been banned as far as I know.  

When you said: "At the time i assumed that he had been banned for 30 days, to calm down, so i was surprised not to see him return"    

Were you talking about Mython or Gog?

I was talking about Mython.
If he does not return, then we just have to make the best of it.
frown.gif

GoG does still visit the Chord threads, and occasionally posts, but no sign of Mython. 

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #1,334 of 18,865
  I was talking about Mython.
If he does not return, then we just have to make the best of it.
frown.gif

GoG does still visit the Chord threads, and occasionally posts, but no sign of Mython. 

Surely a Mod could update with new data if its PM'ed to them (assuming they would spare the time).

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,335 of 18,865

Surely a Mod could update with new data if its PM'ed to them (assuming they would spare the time).

If you are talking about updating post #3, I doubt that the Mods would want to get involved.
The Mojo post #3 required Mython to not only update the information, but also regularly identify how to restructure/reorganise the information, both to reduce the overall post size and make information easier to find. I expect that the Mods would say 'no' at the very outset, to avoid getting involved in a potentially very time consuming activity.

It is probably much easier for Chord to create a new FAQ thread related to Poly, and then they are in charge (or they nominate someone else) of the information being captured/displayed.
I am sure that they could find some volunteers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back