Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 15, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #1,186 of 18,757

Do you know if this will also work with Spotify Offline or just Tidal?

If its like Spotify Connect then it still try's to pull down data from the internet rather than transfer offline files from the phone so no good when "out & about" when not in same wifi group or without pulling data down over expensive 4G?? 

Just read the thread and as I feared, seems to just pull the files down from the cloud so unless you have unlimited data on your phone and share it to Mojopoly over mobile hotspot it won't work. The intention for me is for offline Tidal/Spotify files to be beamed over wifi to the mojopoly while out, not using my limited 4G data allowance to pull music down live from the cloud.

Looks like you're right. The cast unit will pull the files down from Tidal server even you are casting music from your offline library.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #1,187 of 18,757
Hi John,
I see you have two stands for Mojo, Poly & Hugo2 at the Sound & Vision Bristol Show.
Will the Poly units be Production units?
Also, will they be for sale at the show?
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,188 of 18,757
Poly will work with Google Cast which is basically the Android equivalent of Apple's Airplay system.
This means you can just 'cast' your music from any app that supports Google Cast to Poly.
So for Tidal you just press the cast button, select Poly and then your Tidal music will play via Poly to Mojo.

There is a good article on the computeraudiophile website which explains how it works with Tidal but it is similar for other music playback and streaming services:-

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/tidal-now-has-chromecast-support-29113/

Thanks for clearing this up.
So it seems like the biggest concern of Android users is not an issue :)

Cheers

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,189 of 18,757
Thanks for clearing this up.
So it seems like the biggest concern of Android users is not an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

If your at home/office on Wifi it will work yes from what I've read, but if you want your offline Tidal/Spotify content to go to the Poly while offline or without using your 4G allowance it won't without sending to poly as lossy audio going over Bluetooth.

Example: You have your phone loaded with offline Hi-fi Tidal tracks and out walking somewhere with no wireless or cellular data connection. The Tidal Chrome Casting or Spotify Connect won't work as they basically tell the Poly to get files from the Cloud, not those offline files on the phone. With iPhone not an issue as Airplay delivers from iPhone offline to Poly over WiFi connection (not Casting from Cloud) and I suppose both Tidal & Spotify support Airplay.

This is my understanding with Android, I may be wrong and Chord have got a way around this.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,190 of 18,757

This is my understanding with Android, I may be wrong and Chord have got a way around this.

They probably do in the way of a $500 add-on for the Poly.
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #1,191 of 18,757
Hi John,
I see you have two stands for Mojo, Poly & Hugo2 at the Sound & Vision Bristol Show.
Will the Poly units be Production units?
Also, will they be for sale at the show? :tongue_smile:
No sorry we are waiting our selves for the production boards so we can start to build some numbers of units the the reason the Chord guys at the show will have only the same preproduction units we've shown is because the production cycle of the PCBs is quite long being a ten layer fine tolerance board. But a lot of work further development had been done and several modifications have been made to the limited number of preproduction units we have so they should perform okay,

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #1,192 of 18,757
Looks like you're right. The cast unit will pull the files down from Tidal server even you are casting music from your offline library.

If your at home/office on Wifi it will work yes from what I've read, but if you want your offline Tidal/Spotify content to go to the Poly while offline or without using your 4G allowance it won't without sending to poly as lossy audio going over Bluetooth.

Example: You have your phone loaded with offline Hi-fi Tidal tracks and out walking somewhere with no wireless or cellular data connection. The Tidal Chrome Casting or Spotify Connect won't work as they basically tell the Poly to get files from the Cloud, not those offline files on the phone. With iPhone not an issue as Airplay delivers from iPhone offline to Poly over WiFi connection (not Casting from Cloud) and I suppose both Tidal & Spotify support Airplay.

As mentioned on the previous page, the LocalCast app gets around this issue.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stefanpledl.localcast&hl=en

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,193 of 18,757
As mentioned on the previous page, the LocalCast app gets around this issue.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.stefanpledl.localcast&hl=en

LocalCast isn't a solution. Spotify / Tidal app must be the player to decode their local offline file. LocalCast works by directly accessing the media file and won't get past the DRM.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #1,194 of 18,757
LocalCast isn't a solution. Spotify / Tidal app must be the player to decode their local offline file. LocalCast works by directly accessing the media file and won't get past the DRM.

My apologies, I may have been mislead by a blog. Would something like Roon work? It may be too expensive for most, of course.

Feb 16, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #1,195 of 18,757
Regarding Poly acting as a WiFi hot spot. In discussions with our development team the present thinking on this issue is that we really don't need Poly to do this as the phone has it covered already. However that doesn't preclude us from adding this function as an automatically loaded WiFi update package at some point in the future if suddenly we find an application that requires it.

Surely this is backtracking on previous Chord statements? Previously Chord was saying Poly would create the network so devices could connect to it when away from a home wifi network. If I read this correctly I now need my phone to create a hotspot. My phone will only do this itself if connected to 3G/4G and if I have bought a phone contract that includes Personal Hotspot support. Sorry John but either you lost me technically or you lost me as a potential Poly customer. I am still unclear what Poly can do for me. Maybe we can clear that up in Bristol next week.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #1,196 of 18,757
Might take a trip to Bristol next week.  I wonder if Chord will be discounting for orders placed on the day?

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #1,197 of 18,757
Surely this is backtracking on previous Chord statements? Previously Chord was saying Poly would create the network so devices could connect to it when away from a home wifi network. If I read this correctly I now need my phone to create a hotspot. My phone will only do this itself if connected to 3G/4G and if I have bought a phone contract that includes Personal Hotspot support. Sorry John but either you lost me technically or you lost me as a potential Poly customer. I am still unclear what Poly can do for me. Maybe we can clear that up in Bristol next week.
Yes please come and see us in Bristol hopefully we can allay your reservations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back