Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 22, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #1,217 of 18,748

By now Poly price stops me and more when I already have the CCA (Chromecast Audio) getting fantastic easy use with my Mimby to the integrated amp and to Mojo through the TOSlink cable, avoiding any issue with cables.

Poly has the portable features that CCA hasn't, including Airplay for offline contents and build-in battery.

I listen to music mainly on the go through streaming service's offline content. so Poly is perfect if I want to get rid of cables/stacks.

Oh, and the SD slot that iPhone users always want...

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #1,218 of 18,748
Don't forget, besides the iPhone, there is always the iPod Touch, which can be had up to 128GB capacity. It is Wifi and bluetooth capable, and of course runs most apps supported on the iPhone. Besides, after holding the "plus" model of the iPhone for a while, you suddenly realize the iPod Touch weighs almost nothing. For me, this is the perfect portable transport player for the Poly/Mojo combo, if you don't want to move away from the iOS ecosystem.

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,219 of 18,748
  Don't forget, besides the iPhone, there is always the iPod Touch, which can be had up to 128GB capacity. It is Wifi and bluetooth capable, and of course runs most apps supported on the iPhone. Besides, after holding the "plus" model of the iPhone for a while, you suddenly realize the iPod Touch weighs almost nothing. For me, this is the perfect portable transport player for the Poly/Mojo combo, if you don't want to move away from the iOS ecosystem.

If you can manage with 64GB (offline Tidal etc). then the iPhone SE is ideal due to smaller size.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,220 of 18,748
Sounds great. Is there an official release date yet. I have a trip to Japan in late March and would love to have the Mojo/Poly to enjoy for my vacation.
Where can I preorder the Poly if I live in the US?

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,221 of 18,748

Fully agree with you, mine is an 5th gen with 64GB (the biggest at that time)
By now no Poly, price is unbelieveable, and CCA gives me the wifi connectivity with Touch

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,222 of 18,748

If you can manage with 64GB (offline Tidal etc). then the iPhone SE is ideal due to smaller size.

Don't forget, the main purpose of Poly is to eliminate the transport devices except your daily use smartphone, and the cable between Mojo and phone. Another iOS device as transport is kind of waste IMO.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,223 of 18,748

Don't forget, the main purpose of Poly is to eliminate the transport devices except your daily use smartphone, and the cable between Mojo and phone. Another iOS device as transport is kind of waste IMO.

That's true if your main source of music is from online. However, if you have tons, and I mean multiple GB's of ripped music in ALAC, AAC or MP3 format, that you simply have no choice but to find the room on your iOS device to store them, then the iPod Touch is a great choice. I know, the microSD card slot on the Poly is potentially going to give you another option, but what's unknown so far is how you will organize the file structure on it so the app for the Poly will recognize all its contents. Most likely, the filing structure is going to be different from your iTunes library, so there is going to be an initial effort of copying the music stored on your iTunes library to the microSD card, organize it the way you want it, and then there is the ongoing maintenance aspect of when you add music to your iTunes library then you need to copy it over to the microSD card as well. In other words, there is going to be work flow problems to be solved. Furthermore, how are you going to port your playlist data to the microSD card and the Chord Poly app? This is still up in the air.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #1,224 of 18,748
  That's true if your main source of music is from online. However, if you have tons, and I mean multiple GB's of ripped music in ALAC, AAC or MP3 format, that you simply have no choice but to find the room on your iOS device to store them, then the iPod Touch is a great choice. I know, the microSD card slot on the Poly is potentially going to give you another option, but what's unknown so far is how you will organize the file structure on it so the app for the Poly will recognize all its contents. Most likely, the filing structure is going to be different from your iTunes library, so there is going to be an initial effort of copying the music stored on your iTunes library to the microSD card, organize it the way you want it, and then there is the ongoing maintenance aspect of when you add music to your iTunes library then you need to copy it over to the microSD card as well. In other words, there is going to be work flow problems to be solved. Furthermore, how are you going to port your playlist data to the microSD card and the Chord Poly app? This is still up in the air.

The SD card UI is most likely to be MPD based. Although haven't tried, I think MPD player app should be fairly easy to use, because it is an opensource interface.

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #1,225 of 18,748
Having thought it through I'll be getting a new phone with microsd card(s)to store (more) lossless files and use a cable from phone to Mojo and then Mojo to amp. I've got a cable from the amp to my cans so I think I can deal with a micro usb cable whilst I'm lying on my bed. I just don't see the (Poly) numbers adding up at the moment, no doubt the quality will be high but my current cabled setup sounds very good and isn't what I'd call inconvenient.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,226 of 18,748
Having thought it through I'll be getting a new phone with microsd card(s)to store (more) lossless files and use a cable from phone to Mojo and then Mojo to amp. I've got a cable from the amp to my cans so I think I can deal with a micro usb cable whilst I'm lying on my bed. I just don't see the (Poly) numbers adding up at the moment, no doubt the quality will be high but my current cabled setup sounds very good and isn't what I'd call inconvenient.

Confirmed from Chord today - shipping in May.  USD $629 (glad I pre-ordered at $599)

Edit: Link: http://www.bluebirdmusic.com/news/chord-announces-poly-blu-mkii-and-hugo2.html

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,227 of 18,748
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #1,228 of 18,748
Has anyone asked Drew at moon audio if the poly includes a case? If not, I will and let everyone know.

Drew got back to me and no case included at this point. He is working on having one made by Miter. I figure it will be in the $100 range, pushing total cost to $729 for poly. I don't think I can get there. I was a little hesitant at $599, this is going to put it out of reach for me.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,229 of 18,748
I just had an interesting thought pop into my head about the poly. Seeing as it interacts with the phone wirelessly, would I be able to use the Mojo to output on the actual phone speakers? That would be great with phones like Axon 7 and LG V20. If not that's cool too, just a thought.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #1,230 of 18,748
I just had an interesting thought pop into my head about the poly. Seeing as it interacts with the phone wirelessly, would I be able to use the Mojo to output on the actual phone speakers? That would be great with phones like Axon 7 and LG V20. If not that's cool too, just a thought.

I don't see why you would want to do that, phone speakers are inadequate. I don't believe its even possbile to get the ESS Dac in V20 to be used with its own speakers. It uses the Snapdragon chip to process audio (for power efficiency reasons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back