Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 24, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #1,036 of 18,784
Would love it if Poly could play a TuneIn stream...I have a Bryston BDP2 (uses MPD) that can do shoutcast streams, but I really miss being able to do a BBC stream.

I know it may be late in the game, but would really like it if this became a feature :)

thanks!

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,037 of 18,784
  Would love it if Poly could play a TuneIn stream...I have a Bryston BDP2 (uses MPD) that can do shoutcast streams, but I really miss being able to do a BBC stream.

I know it may be late in the game, but would really like it if this became a feature :)

You can play TuneIn on your phone and send the stream to Poly. The purpose of Poly is a data hub with wireless capability, not a standalone player (except for the SD card)

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,038 of 18,784
 Finally got to the end of this thread, a challenge Initially with the reception to the new member to the Mojo family.

I wonder if the expectancy of an 'SD only attachment' contributed to these feelings here of some being disappointed especially with the price, who knows

I am looking forward to the reviews and it's availability and will decide if it will suit my personal needs once released. The Mojo I bought blind but having a DAP or two as well as a mobile phone I will have to wait and see re Poly.

Judging by all the Chord products I have had the pleasure of trying, I have not been disappointed yet.

Now where did I hide that credit card?

L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,040 of 18,784

I'll be glad to help out with that!!  
evil_smiley.gif

Thank you, the extent to which fellow members hospitality extends to never ceases to amaze me
When you have purchased it can you send it to 

23 St.Al.........

dt880smile.png

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,042 of 18,784
  I wouldnt mind an SD card only attachment for use in the car. I couldnt justify spending £500 on a mojo attachment.

Me either.

Except I wouldn't mind a wireless-only module and ditch the SD slot
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,043 of 18,784
I wouldnt mind an SD card only attachment for use in the car. I couldnt justify spending £500 on a mojo attachment.

I wouldn't mind a wireless-only module and ditch the SD slot
biggrin.gif

Ha, Chord could have made it even more modular with a Poly base that accepts optional plug-in modules (SD, wireless, and maybe others in the future).

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #1,045 of 18,784
Ha, Chord could have made it even more modular with a Poly base that accepts optional plug-in modules (SD, wireless, and maybe others in the future).

Now that would've been perfect... at least feature-wise, then one could add on as needed/desired/was able to afford. I suppose that if you ended up assembling it all then it would be slightly larger and more expensive in the end, but it'd be more flexible and affordable over time. Plus, some (like me) may never need the extra features anyways.

But now that they have the chassis for the Poly, perhaps later on they could release simplified versions of it using the same case to cut costs...

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #1,046 of 18,784
But now that they have the chassis for the Poly, perhaps later on they could release simplified versions of it using the same case to cut costs...

That's not what Chord are into. Cost isn't compromised to make a well engineered full featured product.

Whether what they have designed has enough appeal at £499 is to be seen. I have a pre-order for one but still not sure about it, need all the info about how it will actually work first so looking forward to Jude's video when its out in next few days.

I've no doubt it will work perfectly for music stored on the Poly SD card with no RF interference as controlled remotely from your phone, but for me it needs to be able to stream music from my Spotify/Tidal offline music on the phone without quality loss. If that's only using AptX Bluetooth audio codec on Android then apart from convenience of size/design/single charge point it would be hard for me to justify over just strapping a tiny Shanling M1 DAP to the Mojo. Probably more achievable with iPhone using Airplay for music up to 24/96. I've not ruled out using an iPhone 128/256GB as source seeing as the Poly can hold the large SD card for HD music tracks and 256GB in the iPhone is plenty for my offline Spotify or Tidal tracks.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #1,047 of 18,784

it would be hard for me to justify over just strapping a tiny Shanling M1 DAP to the Mojo. 

I had been following the Shanling M1 thread as well as the Fiio T3 on the hunt for a small DAP to pair with my Mojo, but thinking if the rumoured SD attachment from Chord was forthcoming all my needs would be met and held off the M1 at least.

Now we have Poly which could still fulfil my needs but with additional features. I am still yet to see if these features are what I need, probably a video by @jude could be the deciding factor

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,048 of 18,784
That's not what Chord are into. Cost isn't compromised to make a well engineered full featured product.

Whether what they have designed has enough appeal at £499 is to be seen. I have a pre-order for one but still not sure about it, need all the info about how it will actually work first so looking forward to Jude's video when its out in next few days.

I've no doubt it will work perfectly for music stored on the Poly SD card with no RF interference as controlled remotely from your phone, but for me it needs to be able to stream music from my Spotify/Tidal offline music on the phone without quality loss. If that's only using AptX Bluetooth audio codec on Android then apart from convenience of size/design/single charge point it would be hard for me to justify over just strapping a tiny Shanling M1 DAP to the Mojo. Probably more achievable with iPhone using Airplay for music up to 24/96. I've not ruled out using an iPhone 128/256GB as source seeing as the Poly can hold the large SD card for HD music tracks and 256GB in the iPhone is plenty for my offline Spotify or Tidal tracks.

I think they are known for not compromising on quality, but I wouldn't say that releasing more function-specific products to eliminate redundancy and excess costs for some users would not only not compromise them, but would also help them sell more units, and each unit having the high quality Chord is known for, it can only help them.

And I agree on the need to be able to stream lossless Tidal from my phone while still bring able to use my 4G LTE connection for Internet use (I use Android though, not getting iPhone). But I'm fairly certain this was answered somewhere before in the thread and that Poly does indeed allow this.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #1,049 of 18,784

Probably more achievable with iPhone using Airplay for music up to 24/96. I've not ruled out using an iPhone 128/256GB as source seeing as the Poly can hold the large SD card for HD music tracks and 256GB in the iPhone is plenty for my offline Spotify or Tidal tracks.

As I misunderstand it Airplay only works up to 16/44.1; anything above it gets down-rezzed prior to transmission. I'm planning a similar strategy, though: keep everything 16/44.1 or under on my phone, and use the Poly's SD card for high-res stuff.

Now, what iOS MPD app can be used to control SD playback? MPoD seems to have been removed from the App Store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back