Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 30, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,066 of 18,786
At least for iOS is possible to be connected to Wi-Fi and use also mobile data, the solution has to be done on Poly side and it is that Poly gives iPhone only IP and Router but DNS is set to 8.8.8.8, so iPhone knows where to find Poly and rest is done by mobile data.

Solution for Android is not so easy as it doesn't allow this configuration, workaround is different, Wi-Fi direct is used here, so you don't miss your data.

I don't know if these solutions were implemented in Poly but at least exists and works, already used on one project.

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,067 of 18,786
So the solution might be to use BT to drive the poly (not much bandwith needed to just select music files) and WiFi to stream Tidal and 3D for phone calls... just beware that your phone battery may go low very quick :)

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,068 of 18,786
  Dear Poly,

Yet another day and another apple connector bites the dust.   4th or 5th in the last year...

hurry home,

the Hyatts 

update:  we had stopped buying the apple cck awhile back.  If something is going to break down routinely, I can find it cheaper.  One died within the 30 day period and Amazon is good about returns.  Another was fraudulently advertised at Amazon as new but was refurbished, and this, too was sent back successfully.  I think the count is actually 5 or even 6, including the 2 that we were able to return (we have two mojo's).  Amazon return policy is strong.  

So, what do do about these wires?    I did spend $20 on a 4' one that someone referenced here.  It seems okay but these never seem to last very long.  The 4' cable works well for now, with mojo on a stand next to a walking treadmill but we are excited about Poly.   Poly will mean hands free, every morning on the treadmill.  As Jude said, "the smartphone is in our hands anyway" and this is true.  My wife and I both read news stories on the iPhone while exercising, while listening to music).  

So, what to do?  Buy two Polys?

I came up with a better solution.  

Or, just get one and share it?  We did that with Mojo which quickly led to a second mojo.  

The only fair resolution to this issue to get my wife the Poly. 

Doesn't it seem fair to you?

What do I get?

sshhhhhhhhhh!

(hugo 2).  

Solution: Get one Poly to share and one Hugo 2...... just for yourself 
wink_face.gif

If you get a Hugo 2 you and your wife could still both listen to music together; but this time at an even higher fidelity! 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,069 of 18,786
  I am not very familiar with Airplay -- is it possible to use it without wi-fi? I am considering picking up the Mojo/Poly but a lot depends upon whether I will be able to listen during my commute where no wi-fi is available, without having to resort to Bluetooth. Basically, I want to be able to do just what Jude is doing in the video (keep the Mojo/Poly in my pocket while controlling with my phone wirelessly) without wi-fi and without using Bluetooth. Possible? 

EDIT: Sorry, it looks like this questions has been asked and answered numerous times. 

They put in wifi because bluetooth connections are subject to compression depending on the devices and protocols supported.  In short, bluetooth is a really crappy way to push lossless files around, that's why there's all kinds of trickery to squeeze better sound through the same connection on bluetooth.  Wifi on the other hand, is fast enough to support a lossless stream without stuttering.  But battery life suffers.  It'll may mess up the mobile phone connectivity.  

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #1,070 of 18,786
  So the solution might be to use BT to drive the poly (not much bandwith needed to just select music files) and WiFi to stream Tidal and 3D for phone calls... just beware that your phone battery may go low very quick :)

That won't work if you're traveling from place to place -- the poly won't have an access point to connect to, so the phone is it.  If the phone is the access point, then it's going over 4G to pull down tidal to hand off to the poly.  

I have a background as a device designer, the other thing I'm worried about is there isn't an obvious locking mechanism between Mojo and Poly.  It looks like a friction fit on the port, so all the stress is going to be on the port connectors while in the pocket. This is fine for desktop use, but in the pocket?

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,071 of 18,786

Solution: Get one Poly to share and one Hugo 2...... just for yourself 
wink_face.gif

If you get a Hugo 2 you and your wife could still both listen to music together; but this time at an even higher fidelity! 

you realize if I say, "Hey, Love!  You've got to hear this Hugo 2 mini-Dave thing!" I am going to be selling the other kidney??

:)

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #1,072 of 18,786
  That won't work if you're traveling from place to place -- the poly won't have an access point to connect to, so the phone is it.  If the phone is the access point, then it's going over 4G to pull down tidal to hand off to the poly.  

I have a background as a device designer, the other thing I'm worried about is there isn't an obvious locking mechanism between Mojo and Poly.  It looks like a friction fit on the port, so all the stress is going to be on the port connectors while in the pocket. This is fine for desktop use, but in the pocket?

The Mojo/Poly case serves as both a protector and a lock to hold the two together.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,074 of 18,786
  That would suggest using a case is required except for desktop use. Does it come with a Mojo/Poly case? Considering the price...

The Poly has 4 points of contact that sit inside of the Mojo and the curve of the case holds the Poly snuggly against the Mojo's housing. The prototype we have requires a bit of force to separate the two and they don't wiggle when connected, so I wouldn't say that the case is required. That said, I would encourage everyone use one. You can't be too careful when looking after your portable gear. As for whether or not the case is included, I don't have that answer.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #1,075 of 18,786
I have very limited (read almost no) knowledge with regard to technology so this might be a rather stupid question:

When I use the Poly for streaming Tidal for example, does it get the audio from the phone I am controlling it with or does it stream it directly from the network (provided I connected it to my wireless network)?

I hope this question makes any sense. It seems to me it would be unnecessary to stream it from Tidal to the Phone and then to the Poly, when it could directly stream to the Poly. But again: I am no expert.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #1,076 of 18,786
  I have very limited (read almost no) knowledge with regard to technology so this might be a rather stupid question:

When I use the Poly for streaming Tidal for example, does it get the audio from the phone I am controlling it with or does it stream it directly from the network (provided I connected it to my wireless network)?

I hope this question makes any sense. It seems to me it would be unnecessary to stream it from Tidal to the Phone and then to the Poly, when it could directly stream to the Poly. But again: I am no expert.

Tidal streaming data is DRM protected. Only Tidal app can decrypt it. Tidal app is in your phone not Poly.So streaming data always go through your phone first.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,079 of 18,786
can i use apps like neutron with poly to play music stored on sd card in poly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back