Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #1,231 of 18,757
I just had an interesting thought pop into my head about the poly. Seeing as it interacts with the phone wirelessly, would I be able to use the Mojo to output on the actual phone speakers? That would be great with phones like Axon 7 and LG V20. If not that's cool too, just a thought.
One aspect we've not talked much about is Poly's ability to transmit its stored music from its SD drive to a Nass system you may have in your house. It can do this!

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,232 of 18,757
I can't make Bristol this weekend so would be interested for those going to see how the MojoPoly shapes up! Though I have placed an order in the UK & hope it comes with a case!!!!

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #1,234 of 18,757
Has anyone asked Drew at moon audio if the poly includes a case? If not, I will and let everyone know.

Drew got back to me and no case included at this point. He is working on having one made by Miter. I figure it will be in the $100 range, pushing total cost to $729 for poly. I don't think I can get there. I was a little hesitant at $599, this is going to put it out of reach for me

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #1,235 of 18,757
ryanhart72 said:
.Has anyone asked Drew at moon audio if the poly includes a case? If not, I will and let everyone know.

Drew got back to me and no case included at this point. He is working on having one made by Miter. I figure it will be in the $100 range, pushing total cost to $729 for poly. I don't think I can get there. I was a little hesitant at $599, this is going to put it out of reach for me

And the SD card gets us to roughly $800

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,236 of 18,757
And the SD card gets us to roughly $800

That's a lot of pesos where I live in Mexico! I'm hoping to pick one up when I visit Vancouver this summer. I believe preorder prices in Canada are $799. While it is expensive, as a Roon subscriber I can basically use it throughout the house with the Roon end point capability. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,237 of 18,757
Yes please come and see us in Bristol hopefully we can allay your reservations

Hi John, your guys in Bristol confirmed that

a) Poly is dependent upon a home wifi network as it doesn't create a network (except for initial setup)
b) can only play hires files if they are on the SD Card as streaming using airplay, bluetooth or whatever is limited to 48k (unless I fork out for a Roon licence)
c) needs a 3rd party app such as 8player to control it; Chord will not be developing one.

So all that is good because I can stop worrying about whether I need Poly and put the £600 into my Hugo upgrade programme.

Sorry you weren't in Bristol today. Hope to catch up at Metropolis.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #1,238 of 18,757
My Frankenpoly; made from bits I already owned, sounds great!

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,239 of 18,757
Hi John, your guys in Bristol confirmed that

a) Poly is dependent upon a home wifi network as it doesn't create a network (except for initial setup)
b) can only play hires files if they are on the SD Card as streaming using airplay, bluetooth or whatever is limited to 48k (unless I fork out for a Roon licence)
c) needs a 3rd party app such as 8player to control it; Chord will not be developing one.

So all that is good because I can stop worrying about whether I need Poly and put the £600 into my Hugo upgrade programme.

Sorry you weren't in Bristol today. Hope to catch up at Metropolis.

I don't think any of these are correct.
a) Your phone can create the hotspot
b) buzelulu shared an article in the mojo thread   http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/685-streaming-around-globe-or-around-home-jriver-media-center/
c) Although I'm not sure, but there must be an app which initially connect to Poly via bluetooth, and let you setup Poly to connect to the wifi network you want

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,240 of 18,757
Like a lot of Chord fans I'm a bit undecided regarding the Poly.

Assuming Poly is Linux based (I'm 90% sure it must be) and root access is possible then I think it would be great to have another relatively powerful and customisable Linux computer in my pocket besides my phone of course.

The only downside to any possible root access would be that the warranty would be void I suppose.

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #1,242 of 18,757
Sorry Mr pedantic I thought it stood for Network Attached Storage System shows I'm getting old

OK maybe I am a bit pedantic, I've never seen a NAS referred to as a NASS before though, I was just asking for clarification.

To be honest as a throw-away comment it was a bit useless without extra detail, does Poly support Samba, NFS, FTP, rsync, something else or all of the above? 

Also is the transfer bi-directional, can I copy files from my NAS to the SD card in the Poly?

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #1,244 of 18,757
Sorry Mr pedantic I thought it stood for Network Attached Storage System shows I'm getting old

Can you elaborate on this? As a Silicon Valley engineer, my first reaction to your earlier post was that you must be referring to Network Attached Storage. However, I couldn't think of a typical scenario where you'd actually want to upload a file from SD card to network storage. If you have network storage at home, it was probably where the file came from in the first place! You'd be using network storage to download to SD card, not the other way around. Is this what you meant?

I Googled, and discovered that the acronym NAS also refers to "Network Audio System" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Audio_System, http://www.aes.org/networkaudio/). This does make sense in the context of Poly, if it can play from its SD card to a network based audio system. So it would help if you could clarify what you meant.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,245 of 18,757
Can you elaborate on this? As a Silicon Valley engineer, my first reaction to your earlier post was that you must be referring to Network Attached Storage. However, I couldn't think of a typical scenario where you'd actually want to upload a file from SD card to network storage. If you have network storage at home, it was probably where the file came from in the first place! You'd be using network storage to download to SD card, not the other way around. Is this what you meant?

I Googled, and discovered that the acronym NAS also refers to "Network Audio System" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Audio_System, http://www.aes.org/networkaudio/). This does make sense in the context of Poly, if it can play from its SD card to a network based audio system. So it would help if you could clarify what you meant.
Yes Poly has DLNA software so yes it can play from its onboard SD storage to a home based steamer with a Network Attached

Users who are viewing this thread

Back