Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #11,330 of 18,814
Hi @mashuto,
What headphones are you using? It does sound like the WiFi signal is being picked up into the cable of your headphones - the wire naturally acts like a large antenna. Try moving the cable near the black plastic part of Poly. This is the WiFi antenna. The fact that one headphone jack is ok but the other isn't should mean it is just due to the proximity of the cable to the WiFi transmitter on Poly. The headphone jacks inside Mojo are the same output and directly connected together so there is no other difference. Perhaps try some other experiments and let me know.

I'm afraid to say that I don't know Plex very well. I'm guessing that you can't just output to a DLNA renderer like Poly from the app. I think it is possible from the server interface but I'm not sure if you can then activate that on the app.
Take a look at:- https://support.plex.tv/articles/200350536-dlna/
I'll try and install and have a look.

I use campfire atlas primarily right now. I also don't think it's the cable picking up interference directly, but rather the interference I hear is being transmitted through the poly/mojo.

As much as you say the outputs shouldn't be ant different my testing yesterday very clearly was showing me that one of the mojo outputs exhibited the interference while the other did not seem to. But plugging something into the output that had interference made it so the interference came through the other "good" output as well.

I will do some more testing today and see what happens.

I know the Plex stuff was originally aimed at someone else, but the apps Plex puts out use their protocols directly. The Plex server has the option to run a dlna server alongside the normal Plex server, so in theory poly users could use a third party app to connect to the Plex dlna server as a source/linrary and set the output to the poly dlna renderer. That is an option that should work. But I am pretty sure the Plex dlna server is only accessible locally normally (there are obviously ways to make it available over the internet like dynamic dns and port forwarding or VPN into your local network), and not over the internet like the main Plex server. The Plex apps also provide a way to choose an output device, offering Google cast support, but poly is not (yet hopefully) a cast receiver, there is no way to choose it there, and I am not sure if there is a limitation there anyways since Plex is mostly for video and seems to always output some video or visual stream (of just music info) to Chromecast even when casting audio only.

Either way, as I said, I am going to do some more testing today and see what i discover, but it sounds like the things I have already discovered are not really things that would be expected to happen.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #11,331 of 18,814
I use campfire atlas primarily right now. I also don't think it's the cable picking up interference directly, but rather the interference I hear is being transmitted through the poly/mojo.

As much as you say the outputs shouldn't be ant different my testing yesterday very clearly was showing me that one of the mojo outputs exhibited the interference while the other did not seem to. But plugging something into the output that had interference made it so the interference came through the other "good" output as well.

I know the Plex stuff was originally aimed at someone else, but the apps Plex puts out use their protocols directly. The Plex server has the option to run a dlna server alongside the normal Plex server, so in theory poly users could use a third party app to connect to the Plex dlna server as a source/linrary and set the output to the poly dlna renderer. That is an option that should work. But I am pretty sure the Plex dlna server is only accessible locally normally (there are obviously ways to make it available over the internet like dynamic dns and port forwarding or VPN into your local network), and not over the internet like the main Plex server. The Plex apps also provide a couple ways to choose an output device, offering Google cast support, but poly is not (yet hopefully) a cast receiver, there is no way to choose it there, and I am not sure if there is a limitation there anyways since Plex is mostly for video and seems to always output some video or visual stream (of just music info) to Chromecast even when casting audio only.

Either way, as I said, I am going to do some more testing today and see what i discover, but it sounds like the things I have already discovered are not really things that would be expected to happen.
RFI is sometimes rather unusual and it would appear to be especially so in your case as the two output Jacks are indeed connected together internally . It is true that at High Radio Frequencies a few millimetres of track can possibly make the difference between the two of them that your hearing. however this is in conjuncction with a metre or more of your IEM or headphone cables connected separately to each of the jack sockets in turn. So may I suggest you experiment a little more perhaps with a greater selection of listing devices with different cables. Another approach might be to try fitting a small snap on ferrite RFI suppressor on the the cable as close to the jack as is practical. In order to try to change the combination of inductances that seems to be giving you a problem with only one of the two internally connected jacks. I’m sorry we can’t be more definite in offering suggestions but these may well help you.

Nov 29, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #11,332 of 18,814

I know the Plex stuff was originally aimed at someone else, but the apps Plex puts out use their protocols directly. The Plex server has the option to run a dlna server alongside the normal Plex server, so in theory poly users could use a third party app to connect to the Plex dlna server as a source/linrary and set the output to the poly dlna renderer. That is an option that should work. But I am pretty sure the Plex dlna server is only accessible locally normally (there are obviously ways to make it available over the internet like dynamic dns and port forwarding or VPN into your local network), and not over the internet like the main Plex server. The Plex apps also provide a way to choose an output device, offering Google cast support, but poly is not (yet hopefully) a cast receiver, there is no way to choose it there, and I am not sure if there is a limitation there anyways since Plex is mostly for video and seems to always output some video or visual stream (of just music info) to Chromecast even when casting audio only.

Sorry I probably didn't explain myself very well. The outputs on Mojo are the same in that they are connected together and come directly from the DAC output. They do not have a separate DAC section for each output. This means if the noise was coming through from Poly into Mojo then you would hear it equally on both outputs. I still think it has to be something to do with the positioning of the cable externally. This is also confirmed by the noise moving to the 'good' output when you plug something in to the other output.
As I mentioned earlier try placing the cable of your Campfires close to the plastic part of Poly to see if the noise is worse.

Thanks for updating me on Plex. I've taken a quick look and yes it looks like direct DLNA is not possible through the app and only available on the local network.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #11,334 of 18,814
RFI is sometimes rather unusual and it would appear to be especially so in your case as the two output Jacks are indeed connected together internally . It is true that at High Radio Frequencies a few millimetres of track can possibly make the difference between the two of them that your hearing. however this is in conjuncction with a metre or more of your IEM or headphone cables connected separately to each of the jack sockets in turn. So may I suggest you experiment a little more perhaps with a greater selection of listing devices with different cables. Another approach might be to try fitting a small snap on ferrite RFI suppressor on the the cable as close to the jack as is practical. In order to try to change the combination of inductances that seems to be giving you a problem with only one of the two internally connected jacks. I’m sorry we can’t be more definite in offering suggestions but these may well help you.

Sorry I probably didn't explain myself very well. The outputs on Mojo are the same in that they are connected together and come directly from the DAC output. They do not have a separate DAC section for each output. This means if the noise was coming through from Poly into Mojo then you would hear it equally on both outputs. I still think it has to be something to do with the positioning of the cable externally. This is also confirmed by the noise moving to the 'good' output when you plug something in to the other output.
As I mentioned earlier try placing the cable of your Campfires close to the plastic part of Poly to see if the noise is worse.

Thanks for updating me on Plex. I've taken a quick look and yes it looks like direct DLNA is not possible through the app and only available on the local network.

I will take both of your advice into consideration. But I should also say that if I am able to get the listening experience I want from one jack, I would actually be quite happy. I still would obviously want to track down and eliminate the interference, but all I have wanted here was the listening experience I hoped for. So if it's as simple as moving to the other jack (whatever the reason) I will be pretty happy with that. I am just still slightly concerned that it seems I am the only one hearing it.

I will also say that it might be in part due to using sensitive iems as well. I tried with my Sennheiser hd6xx yesterday and the sound was as clean as I would have e hoped for. Of course as a mobile setup, I would expect a lot of people use these for iems too.

More testing to come today.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #11,336 of 18,814
Hi @tekkster,
Yes Poly can also act as a DLNA/UPnP renderer as well. So other servers/players can see Poly as an output device and send music to it. This uses a direct network connection so allows playback of higher resolution music ( like 384KHz ).
For example in J River Poly is seen as a output renderer and you can direct music from any other visible network music server to Poly.

You can also go the other way where Poly acts as a server and the music stored on the internal SD card will be visible to J River. I quite often use Poly this way round when I want to continue listening to the music on my SD card through my main HiFi instead of through Mojo on my headphones.

So to answer your main question then no Poly doesn't just have to rely on Airplay or BT. There are several other ways you can use Poly in different systems making it really flexible.

Thanks. I knew about the latter because i use cantata to both make playlists and play music.

The former i did not know.

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #11,337 of 18,814
Hi All and @Matt Bartlett

I am a new joiner of Headfi and I just bought Mojo and Poly ("MP"). However, I feel extremely painful while I brought my MP out on the street and using it through Android Phone and Gofigure, I couldn't see any playlist and folder of my SD card in Poly in Gofigure nor any other App without connecting Wifi at home. my phone couldn't read the SD card folder when I am using my phone as hotspot and connecting my MP. I still have to find my way out, but my impression is, for the first week, the hardware is awesome but still have a lot of room for the software improvement. TBH, I feel quite frustrated and hopefully can solve all the problems asap. Thanks

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #11,338 of 18,814

I am a new joiner of Headfi and I just bought Mojo and Poly ("MP"). However, I feel extremely painful while I brought my MP out on the street and using it through Android Phone and Gofigure, I couldn't see any playlist and folder of my SD card in Poly in Gofigure nor any other App without connecting Wifi at home. my phone couldn't read the SD card folder when I am using my phone as hotspot and connecting my MP. I still have to find my way out, but my impression is, for the first week, the hardware is awesome but still have a lot of room for the software improvement. TBH, I feel quite frustrated and hopefully can solve all the problems asap. Thanks
Hey there - it's a bit of a learning curve using Poly and there's a few things you'll have to come to terms with. We'll be able to help you here if you stick around though.
GoFigure can only see and play MPD playlists, not files and folders. It's more of a Configuration App really.
You can't (currently) view the folders and files of the SD card over the network using just a file browser, whether using a phone, tablet or computer. You'll have to remove the card and physically connect with it. I've no idea if Chord have any plans to change this behaviour in the future - it's just the way it is.
To playback files from the SD card you'll need eg a Media playback app to access them over the shared network using either the MPD or DLNA/uPnP protocols. On Android I'd recommend the free app M.A.L.P (which is MPD based) - plug in the IP address of Poly and you're away (You can also create playlists with it which GoFigure can play using just Bluetooth for control).
There's quite a bit of getting used to with Poly - it's very far from being plug and play! - but stick with it because the sound it eventually delivers up with Mojo is well worth the hassle imho.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #11,339 of 18,814

Hi @zzhi36 and thanks to @Gr8h8m for helping out here. The first question I have to ask is who you purchased your Mojo/Poly from? They should have given you a brief run through and got you setup and running.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #11,340 of 18,814

Hi @zzhi36

Playlists can be a tad tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes easy. While there may be multiple ways for the Poly to handle playlists, the easiest for me was to use "relative" pathnames, not "absolute" pathnames. A software that takes care of that for you without any thought required is Cantata.

For GoFigure only play controls (Quickplay), the app can only see playlists. GoFigure can't see songs, folders, albums, artists, etc.
You'll also need to wait a bit because the Poly takes a little while to create its database.

So, setup the playlists using any app that can do relative playlists, and you'll be set.

In GoFigure, you can easily see the indexing progress and when it's done, you can access QuickPlay to view playlists pretty easily.

To see folders when using the smart phone as a hotspot (or the MP as a hotspot), you'd need to use a renderer app like 8 Player, BubbleUPnP, Glider, or similar. It works well if a wee bit slow.

---

A lot of people who get the MP struggle with it in the beginning and much of the frustration comes from the fact that Poly does things very differently from other apps. But once you get used to its eccentricities, usage is relatively effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back