Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 19, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #976 of 18,818

This is why I buy from them - I'd rather pay once and own some high quality high-performance feature-rich item rather than buy some cheap crap and be on the upgradatis bicycle. I tend to buy once and be done - at least for a few years. Poly makes the cut. I've had my Beyer DT 880 for more than 5 years now (rock solid!). When I bought them I thought they were expensive. Now I think the Audeze LCD-4 are just fine - provided they last 10 years or so. From Mojo and Poly I expect at least 3 years of use to be worth the money and I think they will last more. Heck - I have a Dell Optiplex PC that's 8 years old and my wife is using it every day!

Similar experience. I could never justify to myself spending $1000 on a pair of SE846's. Prior to these my most expensive were $300. I then managed to get them 2nd hand off the forum for under $500 and was so amazed I'd likely pay full retail now to replace them now. I expect to use them for at least 5 years or more, same as for Mojo and the Poly (if I do get it, awaiting more info first). 

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #977 of 18,818

This is why I buy from them - I'd rather pay once and own some high quality high-performance feature-rich item rather than buy some cheap crap and be on the upgradatis bicycle. I tend to buy once and be done - at least for a few years. Poly makes the cut. I've had my Beyer DT 880 for more than 5 years now (rock solid!). When I bought them I thought they were expensive. Now I think the Audeze LCD-4 are just fine - provided they last 10 years or so. From Mojo and Poly I expect at least 3 years of use to be worth the money and I think they will last more. Heck - I have a Dell Optiplex PC that's 8 years old and my wife is using it every day!

Well said. 

I have never seen a CEO come out to a public forum, and the leading engineer take questions, challenges,  and even the time to 'explain down' to non-engineer minds like mine, anywhere. 

I discern deception for a living.  The interview that is on youtube is extraordinary in its honest and personal revelation.    When Mr. Franks explained his own  reasons behind creating and designing the mojo, it was something special and unlike what we see today in elite disconnect.    This is a product born of shear love of music and desire to share, which includes the constant answering of questions and offering of information.  

Where has this led?  For me, as a cautious consumer, if he says the poly is beyond expectations and exceptional, I am going to buy it, on his word.  

(The only possible delay of this purchase is due to what I have read about the Hugo 2!  I must obtain it!)  

I'm grateful for hearing music that is, literally, 40 years old to me, and listening to new detail, including some instruments I did not know was in the music.  

With a touch of arthritis in my left hand, I cannot play the guitar the way I once did, and it is as if Mojo (and high end headphones) has restored something I felt slipping from me.  

I am both grateful and loyal.   

I read this forum predominantly because of Chord, and love to learn.  The rare humility of a CEO and a cutting edge engineer posting is priceless.  

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #979 of 18,818
Well said. 

I have never seen a CEO come out to a public forum, and
I am both grateful and loyal.   

I read this forum predominantly because of Chord, and love to learn.  The rare humility of a CEO and a cutting edge engineer posting is priceless.  

I have to agree. I am a simple consumer but John, Rob and Chris have spent hours with me at Hifi Shows demonstrating Hugo, TT and Dave. Why? Not because I might buy just a single unit but because they are are rightly passionate about their babies. Because of them I now have Hugo and Mojo and will probably add Hugo2 and Poly to my collection eventually. Their designs are quirky but the SQ is undeniable. Mojo owners ought to appreciate their good fortune in that Chord decided to introduce a consumer priced device. Given the insulting responses given to them on these forums when Poly was announced I would not be surprised if they were to depart the sub £/$/€1000 market sooner rather than later. Last year I berated John for spoiling his family Christmas by participating in these forums. At the time he saw it as a fun thing to do and it would be a shame if he walked away.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #980 of 18,818
I switched to 2.4GHz in an area that already had several wireless APs using this band... drop out city. Trying to listen to music was completely unbearable...

Now it doesn't matter what information comes out about Poly... it's going to be a pass for me. I'll leave y'all to it. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #981 of 18,818
  I switched to 2.4GHz in an area that already had several wireless APs using this band... drop out city. Trying to listen to music was completely unbearable...

Now it doesn't matter what information comes out about Poly... it's going to be a pass for me. I'll leave y'all to it. 

Most wifi ap's use default channels of 1,6 and 11 and they conflict because the installer didn't know better.
Imagine everybody around you shouting at the same time on the same channel. Thats sort of what happens here.

Build in intelligence to use the quietest and/or unique channel and the problem goes away.

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #982 of 18,818

Most wifi ap's use default channels of 1,6 and 11 and they conflict because the installer didn't know better.
Imagine everybody around you shouting at the same time on the same channel. Thats sort of what happens here.

Build in intelligence to use the quietest and/or unique channel and the problem goes away.

There were no unused channels.

That's what happens when you only allocate enough bandwidth for 3 non-overlapping channels. If there are more than 3 networks present at least two of them will overlap. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #983 of 18,818
Not necessarily.. but I didnt mean to get off topic here, just point out that wireless deficiencies can be over come (for the most part) with some good design and planning.

I'll be buying the Poly because it really fits a need for me... I just don't understand so many negative comments especially when nobody has even used the product yet...

Roll on CanJam NYC when I'll be trying and hopefully pre-ordering. Cannot wait.

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #984 of 18,818
  Not necessarily.. but I didnt mean to get off topic here, just point out that wireless deficiencies can be over come (for the most part) with some good design and planning.

I'll be buying the Poly because it really fits a need for me... I just don't understand so many negative comments especially when nobody has even used the product yet...

Roll on CanJam NYC when I'll be trying and hopefully pre-ordering. Cannot wait.

Yes necessarily. 2.4GHz allocation for wifi only has 3 non-overlapping channels.

I've posted the allocation in a previous post. Please revisit it. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #986 of 18,818
AbbeyRoad and many other studios have been using our amps for 25 years now so you'll definitely be okay for a good few years with our kit I'm sure,

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #987 of 18,818
AbbeyRoad and many other studios have been using our amps for 25 years now so you'll definitely be okay for a good few years with our kit I'm sure,

Imagine, just hypothetical, a Poly-mini, reading SD card only, would be available for approx. USD/UKP/EUR 200 and somebody bought it. Say after 1 or 2 years this buyer wants to play music from other sources as well and is then to purchase the normal Poly. The mini will have little second hand value by then, because it will not usable for most listeners. In this situation the mini would have been an expensive purchase.

Until now, when I am on the go, I play music from SD card, no streaming, however somewhere in the future maybe I would like to play from other sources as well.  

Quality has it's price, but often it is a better investment in the long run, I think.  

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #989 of 18,818
It's more than one year of Mojo. How many issues we have seen with Mojos ? May be very very very few.
Now you can think of the QC process at Chord.

I bet we can use Mojo + Poly for next 5/10 years without any issue except the battery part which eventually will be replaced by Chord distributors.

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #990 of 18,818
I know this question has been answered many times before, but I just can't seem to find it through the search. Can someone please tell me What the estimated US release timeline for the Poly is? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back