Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jan 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #946 of 18,783
I guess is the nature, people wants to spend less and get more. Spend more wants to get even greater... much greater wireless technologies is there already to add-on to the mobile device, just many company dont want to invest into the tech because normal consumer won't want to pay for that type of the price to get it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #947 of 18,783
The question, well one of the questions, is will the Poly and Mojo sound better than a DAP or phone with Mojo. Too early to tell... But I've heard very little if any difference between mojo with any of my daps or mojo with any of my phones. I'm not sure how Poly will improve the sound.

For me, my primary reason is so it will be easier to use. I can keep my mojopoly in my pocket and just use my phone to control it. I don't have to take it out. That's a nice feature for me.

I find approx 900aud for convenience is quite a lot. But that's me..

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #948 of 18,783
The question, well one of the questions, is will the Poly and Mojo sound better than a DAP or phone with Mojo. Too early to tell... But I've heard very little if any difference between mojo with any of my daps or mojo with any of my phones. I'm not sure how Poly will improve the sound.

For me, my primary reason is so it will be easier to use. I can keep my mojopoly in my pocket and just use my phone to control it. I don't have to take it out. That's a nice feature for me.

will the buttons play by accident in the pocket, or will a cover take care of this?  it happens to me even in jacket pocket 

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #949 of 18,783
We've heard that Poly will be firmware upgradable,whereas Mojo is not, and that it appears to have some processing capability or, at least, memory capacity beyond what we think will be the scope at launch.
Has anyone asked whether full hardware MQA decoding / unfolding might be on the cards for the future?
I'm starting to get my head around MQA and am excited by it, based on what I have heard streaming Tidal desktop and playing out through a non-MQA DAC.
The ability to download MQA-encoded content, say from Tidal, onto a mobile device and then hand it off via WiFi for full unpacking by Poly would be awesome, imo.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #951 of 18,783
 It depends what you want to access once on the work network. Some companies can take a dim view of staff streaming all day. Some don't. Only your IT/Security team can answer that.

I don't have much of a clue when it comes to tech terms like Wpa!

My ravpower file hub only seems to have wpa-personal as a setting which doesn't allow the entering of a user ID.
When connecting my phone we have been given instructions to use wpa enterprise and need to enter lan ID and password (MyNet).

The issue isn't so much wanting to stream but being able to receive email etc through the WiFi whilst connected to the hub.

For clarity, the hub creates it's own WiFi network, which I connect to so that I can stream from storage (similar to how I expect the poly to work for using the microSD card). The hub then has a setting to connect by wireless to another network to obtain the Internet access. With the hub I can't do this as I don't have wpa enterprise in the list of options. Hence my question on the poly.

I reiterate that I don't have a clue what I'm doing!

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #952 of 18,783
​​Lets not confuse radio & data bandwidth (bitrate)!

2.4Ghz is divided into overlapping channels with a bandwidth of 22Mhz (this is not 22Mhz of data, this is radio bandwidth)
Data is modulated onto those 22Mhz channels - 54Mbps

5Ghz is divide into overlapping channels with a range of bandwidths of 20/40Mhz etc (this is not data, this is radio bandwidth)
Data is modulated onto those 20Mhz/40Mhz channels - 90/180Mbps

2.4Ghz & 5Ghz channels can be combined - 72/150Mbps
Just to clear that bit up...

Now on to the bitrate of audio, ill use 24bit 192Khz here:

24-bits per sample sampled at 192,000Hz (192Khz) 
4,608,000 bits per second per channel

So around 9Mbps required for uncompressed 24/192 stereo!

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #953 of 18,783
​​Lets not confuse radio & data bandwidth (bitrate)!

[COLOR=252525]2.4Ghz is divided into overlapping channels with a bandwidth of 22Mhz (this is not 22Mhz of data, this is radio [/COLOR][COLOR=252525]bandwidth)[/COLOR]
Data is modulated onto those 22Mhz channels - 54Mbps

[COLOR=252525]5Ghz is divide into overlapping channels [/COLOR][COLOR=252525]with a range of bandwidths of 20/40Mhz etc (this is not data, this is radio [/COLOR][COLOR=252525]bandwidth)[/COLOR]
Data is modulated onto those 20Mhz/40Mhz channels - 90/180Mbps

2.4Ghz & 5Ghz channels can be combined - 72/150Mbps
Just to clear that bit up...

Now on to the bitrate of audio, ill use 24bit 192Khz here:

[COLOR=111111]24-bits per sample sampled at 192,000Hz (192Khz) [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]4,608,000 bits per second per channel[/COLOR]

So around 9Mbps required for uncompressed 24/192 stereo!

Your numbers are a) under absolute ideal conditions and b) in the case of data rate for uncompressed audio talking only about the payload portion. You won't get anywhere near the numbers in (a) and (b) doesn't account for the (not insignificant) packet overhead.

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #954 of 18,783
Your numbers are a) under absolute ideal conditions and b) in the case of data rate for uncompressed audio talking only about the payload portion. You won't get anywhere near the numbers in (a) and (b) doesn't account for the (not insignificant) packet overhead.
Agreed - but my main aim was to stop people comparing audio bandwidth with radio bandwidth!
The figure I have calculated also does not have any compression (again was just to ensure people don't compare apples with oranges)

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #955 of 18,783
Funds permitting I will be getting the Poly.  I hate the inconvenience of wired stacks on the move so my mojo is underused tetherd to my old macbook and external hardrive. Even that I find a faff :) So having the mojo sound quality plus tranposrt in one neat form factor sounds good to me. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #956 of 18,783
I've done some sound testing today switching from 2G to 5G Wifi and and I notice difference in sound between the two. The 5G was an improvement in sound especially there was a jump in dynamics for some reason. Detail, clarity all seem to be improved in proper 5G connection over 2G connection. Technically speaking, it shouldn't matter when playing pcm files at the data rate, but there is a clear improvement in sound with 5G. Just sayin what I heard.

peace

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #957 of 18,783
OK. Not going to knock out of hand and reference 1's and 0's data transmission. So I just tested myself with my ASUS 3200 multi-band router streaming over a few HD flac files from my QNAP NAS to Z5/mojo with my trusty SE846's ........... and no difference (to my ears).

Good job really as I'd hate to think the binary data in my spreadsheets would be diffetent transfered over 2G compared to 5G!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #958 of 18,783
OK. Not going to knock out of hand and reference 1's and 0's data transmission. So I just tested myself with my ASUS 3200 multi-band router streaming over a few HD flac files from my QNAP NAS to Z5/mojo with my trusty SE846's ........... and no difference (to my ears).

Good job really as I'd hate to think the binary data in my spreadsheets would be diffetent transfered over 2G compared to 5G!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good for your spreadsheet data. Apparently not for Audio data for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back