Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #9,076 of 19,125
For the host name you can use what ever you called the Poly with .local behind it. So for instance if you called it Moly the Hostname would be Moly.local Port number is 6600 no password needed.

Alternatively you can find the IP address if you don't want to use the Hostname and that can be found inside GoFigure or by using an IP Scanner app on your phone like Fing or IP Scanner.
Appreciated! thanks yeah i tried net analyzer and got an ip address for the Poly, but didn't know the port number.
but your suggested method worked better.
thanks again

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #9,077 of 19,125
Nope. From the horse's mouth:

What is the difference between HiFi quality and Master quality?

HiFi audio is a superior sound, but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit.
TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something infinitely better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest-possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound.

MQA absolutely does NOT give you the same file that was made in the mastering suite. MQA is a lossy process, if you start off with a 24bit/96kz master, and put it through the MQA encode/decode you do not get the original master back. You get something that might be similar, but you do not get the original file. And don’t believe the “a’s the artist intended it to sound” nonsense either. There are many so-called MQA masters of music to where the artists are dead and in any case the music was mastered on analogue tape. How did MQA get Miles Davis to approve the MQA version of Kind of Blue? If you want genuine hires masters then you can buy them or in many cases stream them from Qobuz.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #9,078 of 19,125
Appreciated! thanks yeah i tried net analyzer and got an ip address for the Poly, but didn't know the port number.
but your suggested method worked better.
thanks again

Great! Glad that worked. The cool thing about using the hostname vs the ip address is the hostname is not subject to change unless you change it. The IP address is more likely to change which would break the connection between Poly and MPDeluxe.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #9,079 of 19,125
MQA absolutely does NOT give you the same file that was made in the mastering suite. MQA is a lossy process, if you start off with a 24bit/96kz master, and put it through the MQA encode/decode you do not get the original master back. You get something that might be similar, but you do not get the original file. And don’t believe the “a’s the artist intended it to sound” nonsense either. There are many so-called MQA masters of music to where the artists are dead and in any case the music was mastered on analogue tape. How did MQA get Miles Davis to approve the MQA version of Kind of Blue? If you want genuine hires masters then you can buy them or in many cases stream them from Qobuz.
Glad someone else mentioned this. The whole MQA con is a crock of snake-oil BS that is more about tying the audio chain up in licensing knots. Its a solution that no one wants to a problem that's already solved. Stick to FLACs or lossless equivalent.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #9,080 of 19,125
Glad someone else mentioned this. The whole MQA con is a crock of snake-oil BS that is more about tying the audio chain up in licensing knots. Its a solution that no one wants to a problem that's already solved. Stick to FLACs or lossless equivalent.

In addition, storage and online distribution is cheap.

Here in the US it’s basically impossible to get MQA anything anyway.

Apr 18, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #9,082 of 19,125
Tidal does stream higher than 44.1khz. Edit, I thought it did, turns out its a case of upsampling, argh.

Was listening to a normal 44.1khz album on tidal, hugo shows red for 44.1khz, picked a tidal master album and started playing and hugo changed from red to orange signifying 48khz.

Tidal on desktop and using xonar soundcard to hugo2 via optical cable.

Unsure if it works on poly via iphone and tidal app ? But it definetly works on desktop tidal program.

So the different colours I see mojo/hugo2 showing is just tidal upsampling ?

Why cant they just stream full 24/96, for 20 quid and depending on which way you signed up, 25 quid if done via apple per month, why cant they just pony up with a minimum of 96khz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #9,083 of 19,125
My understanding is that Tidal offers MQA/ Master recordings via the desktop app only at full resolution to those with MQA enabled DACs. For those without such DACs, software incorporated in the app allows those files to be played at up to 24/96 Res. However I've also been able to find recordings in Tidal's Android app that are labelled "hi-Res" and play at 24/48 (orange on the Mojo!) so I'm not quite sure what's going on.
I believe stock Android, for reasons best known to Google, upsamples automatically to 192 kHz (Mojo dark blue). If you want to play a digital music file via USB at it's native resolution, then you need to have a device/ install an app that bypasses the Android default. I recently started using USB Audio Player Pro which I bought from the PlayStore for $9.99. it supports streaming audio from Google musiic and Qobuz as well as Tidal.

Edit: To clarify, I unfortunately dropped my mojo/poly on a floor recently, and damaged the perspex housing the WiFi. it's in for repair, so I'm back to using the Mojo via USB, this time via Android rather than iOS. Trying to understand playing digital music via Android has been an education!

Same here, I get red, orange and I am sure that I saw blue and possibly green ?

Red/orange is a definite, I will have to check roon as although I had clicked on tidal tab in roon, maybe the higher bitrate colours I saw could possibly of been my own albums that tidal was showing. If thats the case, the blue/green I thought I saw might of just been a local hires copy.

Will figure this out tomorrow.

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #9,084 of 19,125
Its a solution that no one wants to a problem that's already solved.
I happen to enjoy listening to TIDAL MQA streams—it’s an additional choice, that for me, enhances listening pleasure from streaming services like TIDAL.

I have a Mojopoly, Hugo 2, a Mytek Brooklyn and an AudioQuest Dragonfly Red and enjoy different formats on different devices. I love 192/24 FLACs, but the available catalog is pretty small, and limited to download-only consumption. I’m also a huge fan of DSD on the Hugo 2. But it’s also fun to see what’s available from TIDAL in MQAs (esp. those that decode to 192/24). There’s some superb older recordings that I find are a real treat in MQA (that I can’t find as 192/24 FLAC downloads), and, to my ears, are more enjoyable than the 44.1 streaming version on TIDAL.

To each their own!

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #9,085 of 19,125
Same here, I get red, orange and I am sure that I saw blue and possibly green ?

Red/orange is a definite, I will have to check roon as although I had clicked on tidal tab in roon, maybe the higher bitrate colours I saw could possibly of been my own albums that tidal was showing. If thats the case, the blue/green I thought I saw might of just been a local hires copy.

Will figure this out tomorrow.

I have also seen green playing via the Tidal desktop app on my Mac (music that I don´t own myself, so it´s definitely Tidal).

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #9,086 of 19,125
I have also seen green playing via the Tidal desktop app on my Mac (music that I don´t own myself, so it´s definitely Tidal).
I too have had green (96kHz) window lighting when listening to a 'Master' album on tidal. I forgot which one it was, and haven't been able to find it again!
Windows desktop app, playing through my Hugo 2.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #9,087 of 19,125
I too have had green (96kHz) window lighting when listening to a 'Master' album on tidal. I forgot which one it was, and haven't been able to find it again!
Windows desktop app, playing through my Hugo 2.
Some PC with Windows upscale by default in the format selected in the sound driver When i had tested the blu2, i need to change in windows each time the good format. Very boring.

Apr 19, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #9,088 of 19,125
Thanks, John. I have been in contact with one of your guys, Mitch, and they said it isn't an option right now, to play Tidal downloads using Poly..... but it is being worked on! I am happy to wait for it though.

As mentioned in my previous post, is there going to be high res blue tooth incorporated in the future?

Thanks.

Lee

PS. thanks for making the Hugo 2... it is awesome!!

Hires aptx/aptx hd/aptx low latency will not/never be available for our Polys.

BT was only meant to be used for sending commands back and forth between iphone/android phone and poly, it wasnt really meant to be used for listening to music.

If I recall, the aptx module, if added, it would of taken up a good portion of poly’s internal space, I am sure their was some mention of that about 100 pages back.

I can see chords point, why use BT when Poly is a wireless server with more bandwidth capabilities than BT.

Aptx is on hugo2, not sure about the original hugo, but chord are adding it to their products as seen by its inclusion on hugo2.

Hopefully aptx hd will start making its way into audio products, I have a feeling that it wont turn up on an apple product any time soon.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #9,089 of 19,125
I am not sure if this is a Glider issue or a Poly issue (I think the former). I have a 256 gb SD card, Go Figure says there are 1.44k songs, however when Glider says 2.4k and even when I resent it it stays the same. I renewed theD LNA data base via figure but this does not change the number on Glider. I also get some duplicates in glider and some albums that I know re there are missing. I assume ti is an issue with eh database on the SD card. Should I just delete it fully then let Gofigure make a new DLNA data base?

On another note, I see people commenting that they are disappointed that Tidal will not play in a higher resolution than 44k, but since it is through either bluetooth or airplay I always thought that was the limit of resolution you could get from your phone, and that the only way to listen to higher resolutions was on the SD card. Am I wrong with his notion. If I am it would be nice to play Tidal at higher res.
Download an app called ak connect 2 (free), fior a basic app that allows tidal to be played via wifi rather than via airplay or Bluetooth.
Can also search this forum to find out more about ak connect.
Using roon, you can also stream, but you’d need a roon subscription.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #9,090 of 19,125
Has anyone been able to get DSD audio playing off the microSD card on the poly? Im using an android phone and BubbleUPnP to try to drive it... the DSDs show up, but won't play... no real error... looks like the mojo color jumps from white to red to blue... but no audio.

Otherwise, bubbleUPnP wants to transcode for me down to 44.1k it looks like.

DSD from roon with the mojo connected as a DAC works great....

I've tried the various "disable mime checks" and such, and end up with "Illegal MIME-type 714". Poly really feels unfinished.

*EDIT*: M.A.L.P. (MPD client) can convince the poly to play DSD... MPD just doesn't have auto-discover which makes mobile use a little challenging (carrying around a little 'pin' to have the mojo tell me an IP address is not tenable for a device at this price point...).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back