Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 18, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #3,586 of 18,757
I’m not sure where you are but you deserve a Case for waiting that long. Was there a card to send in to get one in your box, if not PM me and I will arrange to send a case out to you

uhh i ordered in March and got it today! no code for a case, just one for ROON... too bad I already subscribe to ROON

but also no issues whatsoever setting it up... loving this!

Nov 18, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #3,587 of 18,757
What do people think about Roon vs Audirvana? I have been weighing purchasing one or the other and while Roon has nicer interface/library management, they are not seen as that different sonically.
As far as cost is concerned, it seems that the latter is far less expensive (correct me if I'm wrong);

To any current Audirvana users: how is Poly support at the moment?

Thanks,
Nick

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #3,588 of 18,757
Going to take a flight in a hour. Missing the bluetooth control for the SD player because airplay will not work in an airplane.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,589 of 18,757
What do people think about Roon vs Audirvana? I have been weighing purchasing one or the other and while Roon has nicer interface/library management, they are not seen as that different sonically.
As far as cost is concerned, it seems that the latter is far less expensive (correct me if I'm wrong);

To any current Audirvana users: how is Poly support at the moment?

Thanks,
Nick

i pay for and use both as i’m unable to install Roon at work. i use Roon at home as my core and Audirvana on my work computer and travel laptop. haven’t tested Audirvana with Poly yet but everyone here seems to say it works great. it also has a remote app for your mobile devices.

yes, Audirvana is less expensive. Roon has more “discovery” and radio features. gives you connections and artwork. a lot more features. Audirvana is pretty powerful and sounds great—it even decodes MQA.

Nov 18, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #3,590 of 18,757
I have to say I can't yet switch over to the Poly.
I’m Happy to tell you all that our first post product release automatic software up grade is very close to release now. This will further increase Polys connectability and usability. We will early next week outline the nice new features some of which have been hard won on the part of our brilliant software team.

Thanks for the info, @Mojo ideas

Please make sure this gets out on time. I hesitate to bring this up, but there is some urgency to this. My return window for Moon-Audio is only 14 days and currently Poly is unusable for me. It does not like my WiFi access points (Meraki) at home or at work.

I am sure your brilliant software team can improve the Poly over time, but I can't take a multi-hundred dollar bet that they do if this keep slipping.

I do recommend the case, folks. Just spend the $100 if you're keeping your Poly.
IMG_3154.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #3,592 of 18,757
@Mojo ideas @Matt Bartlett Can one of you guys clarify something for me with regards to spotify playback? The manual states "Poly has full Tidal and Spotify integration meaning that when Poly is connected to your local network or Smartphone's network, Poly will be seen as an audio output and it will be selectable". From my understanding this should mean that within spotify, under devices available, poly should show up and be selectable, correct? In my actual usage however, whether on my home wifi, or when using my phones hotspot, spotify is unable to see poly under devices available. Am I understanding that incorrectly? So far I have only been able to get spotify to play over bluetooth and it is my understanding based on things I have read in this thread, that bluetooth is supposed to be the backup connection (especially because it has to re-encode audio again). Some clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,593 of 18,757
81814A66-CE0C-43A9-A017-3B14CDE73C29.jpeg i’m currently on the railroad with MojoPoly—

iPhone X in personal hotspot mode working flawlessly playing downloaded Tidal files.

just feel i need to counter all the negative comments about this device being hard to set up. so far i was able to use it at home connected to wi-fi, as a Roon end point, and via iPhone personal hotspot without a hitch.

did experience some static at times which i am trying to figure out. otherwise love this thing! serious innovation here.

@maruto that is correct—my Poly shows up as an output device via my Tidal and Spotify iOS apps when connected to my home wifi network.

anyone have any best practice yet for coordinating volume on mobile device vs Poly?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #3,594 of 18,757
@Mojo ideas @Matt Bartlett Can one of you guys clarify something for me with regards to spotify playback? The manual states "Poly has full Tidal and Spotify integration meaning that when Poly is connected to your local network or Smartphone's network, Poly will be seen as an audio output and it will be selectable". From my understanding this should mean that within spotify, under devices available, poly should show up and be selectable, correct? In my actual usage however, whether on my home wifi, or when using my phones hotspot, spotify is unable to see poly under devices available. Am I understanding that incorrectly? So far I have only been able to get spotify to play over bluetooth and it is my understanding based on things I have read in this thread, that bluetooth is supposed to be the backup connection (especially because it has to re-encode audio again). Some clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Your understanding is correct. Poly should be able to show in Spotify while connecting to the same Wi-Fi. You can’t find it may be caused by the setting issue in Poly. If you use DLNA to connect to Poly, then make sure you set it as others not Roon. Besides, double check to make sure Poly is not set as hotspot, otherwise, it won’t connect to your network and you won’t be able to find it from the network

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,595 of 18,757
I bought this Nite Ize Clip Case: https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Executive-Holster-Leather/dp/B00GOZOA0G

I haven't received my Poly yet (hoping this week in US), but measurements and trying it with mojo seem to indicate it will provide a secure fit, with access to headphone out, and quick open to adjust volume. The clip on is supposed to be high quality and strong, so that's also a plus (how would you carry the Chord case?). Price is great, too. I'll post pics when I get Poly.

Got the Poly. I'll have much more to say after using for a while and the new firmware/app is released, but it really sounds fantastic using in Room mode. Here are some pictures of the case I'm using, for those of us in the States that did not get one. There is a bit of space at the bottom, but it's tapered, so the MojoPoly stays in place well. You can access the SD card, config hole, and one headphone jack. It has the benefit of a substantial clip also.
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #3,596 of 18,757
Your understanding is correct. Poly should be able to show in Spotify while connecting to the same Wi-Fi. You can’t find it may be caused by the setting issue in Poly. If you use DLNA to connect to Poly, then make sure you set it as others not Roon. Besides, double check to make sure Poly is not set as hotspot, otherwise, it won’t connect to your network and you won’t be able to find it from the network

Yes I am aware. I am not in roon mode, and the poly itself is not in hotspot mode. As I said in my post, I have tried with the poly connected to my home WiFi and to my phones hotspot, and Spotify does not see the poly.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3,597 of 18,757
Going to take a flight in a hour. Missing the bluetooth control for the SD player because airplay will not work in an airplane.

At the moment you could always connect to Poly's own internal hotspot then just use a DLNA app (8Player) or MPD to play from the SD card. Most airlines allow WiFi use once
you are in the air. It's only during takeoff and landing that they ask for all wireless devices turned off.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,598 of 18,757

This was hoped to be available at the time of launch but it has been delayed. I'm guessing you are an Android user as on iOS you can always use Airplay with Tidal or Spotify.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #3,599 of 18,757
This was hoped to be available at the time of launch but it has been delayed. I'm guessing you are an Android user as on iOS you can always use Airplay with Tidal or Spotify.

Correct, I am an android user. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything since it did say it in the manual, but I am happy to use bluetooth in the meantime as long as its on its way. Looking forward to that update and to the app releasing!

Nov 18, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,600 of 18,757
I finally got around to setting the Poly up. Admittedly it was a problematic at first but in the end things are working very well. I first used my old iPad to do the WiFi Config step for Poly setup. The key is to actually use headphones when doing the configuration using the set pin since it's important to know what mode the Poly is in. I did not do that at first, relying only on only the paper instructions and flashing light colour sequences which does not really help for a novice.

Unfortunately 8Player is incompatible with my 4th Gen (circa 2012 I think) iPad but there was mention of another app "Glider Music" here in the thread which I tried and it works fine. However, there is an in-app purchase to unlock all the features which I doubt I will do since my intent is to not use Apple products going forward. I have Neutron Player for both my old HTC One M8 Android phone and my daily Lumia 950XL Windows Phone. Neutron for Android works fine although I detected the occasional audio dropout when playing from the Poly MicroSD (Samsung 256GB EVO) card. There were no dropouts when using Glider with the same track. I tried USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) but it doesn't seem to work as a wireless source/remote. Haven't tried any other compatible UPnP/DLNA Android apps yet and will check mentions of ones to try in this thread.

As for Windows Phone, if anyone else still uses one, Neutron will not work since there is no option for UPnP/DLNA source selections! Crazy, I know. I did find an app that does work called "Smart Player" and was easy to get running. It's not the greatest looking app for audio so I'm on the hunt for others. Since Microsoft is essentially giving up on their mobile cellular devices I'll probably move back to Android anyway.

Overall I think the Poly is pretty good I can see myself using the Mojo more often now. It likely won't be replacing any of my dedicated DAPs yet but I'm happy to have this in my collection as a high-end option. I hope Chord's promised GoFigure app arrives soon as I think it will definitely simplify the whole setup and hotspot/access point/Bluetooth/WiFi configurations.

I am also now curious about ROON. I actually went ahead and installed an SSD into my Synology NAS and loaded ROON Server onto it. Debating whether to use the 2 month trial (credit card required even for the trial!) now since the cost of ROON is rather pricey. Anyone else using ROON with Poly? I shall start perusing the forums on this subject. Lol, this audio "hobby" is never-ending!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back