Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
May 27, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #18,961 of 19,125
Sounds like you do have problems with the unit but regarding reading the SD card, you shouldn't be looking to GoFigure to do that. GoFigure is just for configuration/settings (although it, confusingly, does allow you play any stored playlists from the card). You need a 3rd party controller (8Player, Mconnect, Rigelian MaximumMPD etc) to play files (from the card or streaming from another source) to do that. Sorry if you knew that and I've misunderstood what you were saying.
How do you connect to the local SD card through mconnect when indexing is done? should you connect through hotspot, or both on the same local network?

May 27, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #18,962 of 19,125
How do you connect to the local SD card through mconnect when indexing is done? should you connect through hotspot, or both on the same local network?
At home, I connect through my home network. Nothing fancy but I do use a tp-link mesh system and it's fine. Times I am away from home I put the Poly into hotspot mode and link my phone to it. You can also do it other way around and create a hotspot with your phone and link the Poly to it. I must admit that I've not had a problem connecting it yet. I tend to mostly use the SD card but I have my library backed up on a NAS and can stream to Poly from that through Plexamp although the sound quality isn't as good as straight from the card.

May 27, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #18,964 of 19,125
I prefer the local wi-fi network. That avoids draining the phone battery by constantly providing a hotspot.

Although sound quality from the SD card is best, I prefer to play music from a NAS that runs Minimserver, which is more versatile than Poly‘s inbuilt UPnP/DLNA server.

To complicate matters further I also use Audirvāna alternatively for its excellent playlist handling and sound quality. They have certified Poly to work with Audirvāna, and, well, it does.

May 27, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #18,965 of 19,125
I use MaximumMPD with Poly in hostpot mode and that works great - gives me immediate access to full SD card collection by simply browsing through the folders on SD card (without needing any playlists although when you start using it you can start building them inside the app). I also think that way of using the system sounds the best. Before I purchased Poly I used Mojo2 via usbc cable to stream Apple Music in HD - that also works great but the sound quality is even better in Poly MPD mode - I have a large collection on my SD card and played a few albums in full hidef both ways and was very surprised to be able to hear the difference (not huge but I feel it's there). But even when I did not have the Poly Mojo2 was still worth having just to be able to stream Apple Music in full resolution.

May 27, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #18,966 of 19,125
when you insert a sdcard, you can't browse the folders? creating playlists for a 2TB disk is crazy if that has to be done.... Is this correct?
I use MaximumMPD with Poly in hostpot mode and creating playlists is not needed at all - you can simply browse and play the folders and/or create playlists as you go - add the full albums or individual songs etc. And by the way I have the 1.5TB SD card which only got indexed once when I was setting everything up. The only thing I would like to have is album art which the app can try to download but obviously not in hotspot mode where Poly does not see the internet. Need to find a way to update the full 1.5TB SD card with album art that MaximumMPD can use - if anyone has any suggestions please post some recommendations on how this could be set up - not a deal breaker for me if it can't be done but would make the whole system feel more complete.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #18,967 of 19,125
I use MaximumMPD with Poly in hostpot mode and creating playlists is not needed at all - you can simply browse and play the folders and/or create playlists as you go - add the full albums or individual songs etc. And by the way I have the 1.5TB SD card which only got indexed once when I was setting everything up. The only thing I would like to have is album art which the app can try to download but obviously not in hotspot mode where Poly does not see the internet. Need to find a way to update the full 1.5TB SD card with album art that MaximumMPD can use - if anyone has any suggestions please post some recommendations on how this could be set up - not a deal breaker for me if it can't be done but would make the whole system feel more complete.
The current version of MPD on the Poly doesn't allow showing embedded art but it will display a .jpg file enclosed in an album's folder. I just keep a 300x300ppi file called cover.jpg in the root of each folder.

May 27, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #18,968 of 19,125
The current version of MPD on the Poly doesn't allow showing embedded art but it will display a .jpg file enclosed in an album's folder. I just keep a 300x300ppi file called cover.jpg in the root of each folder.
Awesome! I much prefer that simple way over having to worry about processing all music files just to add embedded art. Do you know of any tools that can automate downloading the art (presumably by scanning folders to get album info/names) via doing the internet search/download or is necessary to manually download art for each album and rename to cover.jpg?

May 27, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #18,969 of 19,125
Awesome! I much prefer that simple way over having to worry about processing all music files just to add embedded art. Do you know of any tools that can automate downloading the art (presumably by scanning folders to get album info/names) via doing the internet search/download or is necessary to manually download art for each album and rename to cover.jpg?
I use an application called Bliss to organise all my music and make sure, as much as possible, they have the right info/art attached but it does cost. Otherwise, something like MP3tag is more of a manual process but will use info from places like Discogs that 99% of the time has art you could use.

May 27, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #18,970 of 19,125
I use an application called Bliss to organise all my music and make sure, as much as possible, they have the right info/art attached but it does cost. Otherwise, something like MP3tag is more of a manual process but will use info from places like Discogs that 99% of the time has art you could use.
Have you tried this tool for renaming tags, it is very good
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

May 27, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #18,971 of 19,125
okay that was quick, I bought the combo Poly + Mojo2.... the fastest something broke on me ever..... Tried 6 cables, 5 chargers. The mojo2 charging light (that little at the connector) flashes a few times red, and stops and that's all the mojo 2 does, it get's very warm, but is not charging, won't start. It has been in for a few hours (just in case)

2 Days and it dies.... my life that is quick :laughing:

May 27, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #18,975 of 19,125
If you get further along in Poly Battery Hell, I have a hack that works for me. YMMV…

If I can’t get the Poly to start charging (this happens when I don’t use it for a month or two), I do the following:

Carefully open the Poly. Do NOT take the PCB off the chassis. That can lead to LED Indicicator Tube Hell. Don’t go there.

Carefully disconnect the battery cable clip from the PCB.

Leave the battery disconnected for a few minutes at least.

Reconnect the battery. Reassemble the Poly chassis.

I have done this ~6 times. It always wakes up the Poly. It charges and functions perfectly until I ignore the Mojo fun again for too long at a stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back