Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 15, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #1,531 of 19,043
I'm sorry I've not been able to get back to you concerning your question I've been on vacation with an odd internet connection that wouldn't let me reply even if I knew the answer. However sadly I don't know and will have to check this out with Matt and Development team next week after the
UK bank holiday

thanks as that has been on the mind of people i know and no one is answering it

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #1,532 of 19,043
Can I hear Chrome browser app audio, YouTube app audio, and HBO app audio on the Mojo Poly combo with both iOS and Android? If yes, can the wireless tech keep the audio in sync with the the video or is there still a very noticeable lag to a person's mouth movements?

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #1,533 of 19,043
whats intriguing to me is that sellers on taobao already have listings for the poly in stock. thats very weird. have they already made fake copies before the actual original product is released?

https://world.taobao.com/item/548468434207.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.UO8Nio#detail

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,534 of 19,043
whats intriguing to me is that sellers on taobao already have listings for the poly in stock. thats very weird. have they already made fake copies before the actual original product is released?

https://world.taobao.com/item/548468434207.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.UO8Nio#detail
That only goes to show you what a bunch of cheating liers there are selling on Tao Bao . We havent yet produced one single production Poly yet and the first bunch will be going mostly as reviewer and distribution samples so they can get to grips with the technologies intrinsic within the design. The last place we would want to sell our product is on Tao Bao.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,535 of 19,043
That only goes to show you what a bunch of cheating liers there are selling on Tao Bao . We havent yet produced one single production Poly yet and the first bunch will be going mostly as reviewer and distribution samples so they can get to grips with the technologies intrinsic within the design. The last place we would want to sell our product is on Tao Bao.

Martin Guitar (made in US) and Canada Goose (CA) have been largely unsuccessful in getting any cooperation from government officials to stop the production and sales of knock offs.  

In Martin Guitar's case, they age wood for 10 years, while the knock offs use immediately cut wood and all sorts of cheap parts.  Yet the theft of the logo is so much that there are actual fake "Martin Guitar" shops, as if franchisees.  

In Canada Goose's case, they use premium down to keep people warm and knock offs have been found to contain newspaper clippings, chicken feathers and chicken feces, making it a health risk.  

Tao Bao  is unjust on so many levels.  I am glad the OP put the link up and it has been responded to.  Kudos AudioIQ!

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,536 of 19,043
Martin Guitar (made in US) and Canada Goose (CA) have been largely unsuccessful in getting any cooperation from government officials to stop the production and sales of knock offs.  

In Martin Guitar's case, they age wood for 10 years, while the knock offs use immediately cut wood and all sorts of cheap parts.  Yet the theft of the logo is so much that there are actual fake "Martin Guitar" shops, as if franchisees.  

In Canada Goose's case, they use premium down to keep people warm and knock offs have been found to contain newspaper clippings, chicken feathers and chicken feces, making it a health risk.  

Tao Bao  is unjust on so many levels.  I am glad the OP put the link up and it has been responded to.  Kudos AudioIQ!

There is a difference between knock-offs and non-official retails sales. I've bought from Sound Luck store in Shanghai and everything appears legitimate. They're just not an official store so they are able to advertise and sell below MAP. This is legitimate anywhere in the world, including the US, though manufacturers have been known to deny warranty work. Ironically, of all the manufacturers I buy from, it's Apple who has the most open costumer friendly policy. I've had people buy new iPhones in HK off the street for new released sold out phones and Apple fully honored all warranty work in either China or US. The worst that happened was Apple back dated the start of warranty to when the device was first sold by the official channel, so you lose a week or two of warranty, since they do not accept proof of sales from non-authorized vendors.

Though I will 100% agree there are a lot of fakes/knock-offs on Taobao so one has to be very careful. That's why for more expensive items I will go and inspect from the store.

In the case of Poly and Sound Luck (and many other similar audio equipment store), it just seems they've been too eager to sell a new product and jumped the gun. Just a week ago a bunch of places offered Poly for sale without stating its pre-release (and this is against Taobao policy). I've noticed today all Poly listings are gone. But you can find Hugo, DAVE, Moly ... etc.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,537 of 19,043
There is a difference between knock-offs and non-official retails sales. I've bought from Sound Luck store in Shanghai and everything appears legitimate. They're just not an official store so they are able to advertise and sell below MAP. This is legitimate anywhere in the world, including the US, though manufacturers have been known to deny warranty work. Ironically, of all the manufacturers I buy from, it's Apple who has the most open costumer friendly policy. I've had people buy new iPhones in HK off the street for new released sold out phones and Apple fully honored all warranty work in either China or US. The worst that happened was Apple back dated the start of warranty to when the device was first sold by the official channel, so you lose a week or two of warranty, since they do not accept proof of sales from non-authorized vendors.

Though I will 100% agree there are a lot of fakes/knock-offs on Taobao so one has to be very careful. That's why for more expensive items I will go and inspect from the store.

In the case of Poly and Sound Luck (and many other similar audio equipment store), it just seems they've been too eager to sell a new product and jumped the gun. Just a week ago a bunch of places offered Poly for sale without stating its pre-release (and this is against Taobao policy). I've noticed today all Poly listings are gone. But you can find Hugo, DAVE, Moly ... etc.

I did not address the issue of non-official retail sales. 

I do, however, grasp that when a seller is willing to use deception that it is unwise to predict how low they will go, so I avoid them.  

"Though I will 100% agree there are a lot of fakes/knock-offs on Taobao so one has to be very careful."

I do not need to be "very careful" about Taobao.  I need only to acknowledge their business ethics and avoid.  

John said they are "cheating liars."  That suffices. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #1,538 of 19,043

John, I hate to tell you this but Chord is officially selling on Taobao. I assume it's your China distributor that put the store up. Officially it's a TMall store that sells on Taobao, but that's really just semantics. Actually this is the recommended practice for all foreign companies to protect their official price/MAP (including the company I work for) and can also be used to go after fakes/knock-offs. There are many advantages to be on TMall/Taobao.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #1,539 of 19,043

I do, however, grasp that when a seller is willing to use deception that it is unwise to predict how low they will go, so I avoid them.  

When I browsed the Poly listing before, many of them did state in the product description area that this is a pre-release (similar to moon-audio in the US) without an ETA. I don't recall what Sound Luck said, as that link now says the product is no longer up for sale. So I cannot claim that Sound Luck is being overtly deceptive or not. At least they have pulled the listing (probably got pressure from the official distributor).

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,540 of 19,043
John, I hate to tell you this but Chord is officially selling on Taobao. I assume it's your China distributor that put the store up. Officially it's a TMall store that sells on Taobao, but that's really just semantics. Actually this is the recommended practice for all foreign companies to protect their official price/MAP (including the company I work for) and can also be used to go after fakes/knock-offs. There are many advantages to be on TMall/Taobao.
The number of times we have had problems with unofficial guys popping up on Tao Bao trying to get product from our other distributors we have fired three distributors for this practise so I cannot stress just how much trouble they have caused us. I know our distributor there in china has put a lot of effort into closing these people down and asking them to go legit. Fortunately it now seems like they are having some success.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,541 of 19,043
The number of times we have had problems with unofficial guys popping up on Tao Bao trying to get product from our other distributors we have fired three distributors for this practise so I cannot stress just how much trouble they have caused us. I know our distributor there in china has put a lot of effort into closing these people down and asking them to go legit. Fortunately it now seems like they are having some success.

Just to confirm, Chord did authorize a China representative (your main distributor) to open an official store to represent Chord? If not then you need to notify the authorities. Also in the future if you do fire the representative/distributor make sure to take back the official store.

FYI, I just used your official dealer locator on your website, and it is much better now! Last year when I bought a Hugo (and trying to find a legitimate one in China), your official website only showed Dita as the seller but they were not responsive. Instead of buying in US, I used Taobao to find a seller who said they are Dita authorized reseller and Dita is only a distributor. I wanted to buy as official as possible, so it was a leap of faith. Good news is the store I bought from is now the first to come up on your website search - 上海慧音数码科技有限公司(上海知音堂).

Back to fully on topic, I'm very interested in a Moly-Poly combo for travel (while Hugo stays for home use). Is there any way to queue up a playlist or shuffle for the Poly, so you can turn the phone off? If so, is there a way to pause/play or send basic commands (for headphones/earbuds that have inline controls)?

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,542 of 19,043
Just to confirm, Chord did authorize a China representative (your main distributor) to open an official store to represent Chord? If not then you need to notify the authorities. Also in the future if you do fire the representative/distributor make sure to take back the official store.

FYI, I just used your official dealer locator on your website, and it is much better now! Last year when I bought a Hugo (and trying to find a legitimate one in China), your official website only showed Dita as the seller but they were not responsive. Instead of buying in US, I used Taobao to find a seller who said they are Dita authorized reseller and Dita is only a distributor. I wanted to buy as official as possible, so it was a leap of faith. Good news is the store I bought from is now the first to come up on your website search - 上海慧音数码科技有限公司(上海知音堂).

Back to fully on topic, I'm very interested in a Moly-Poly combo for travel (while Hugo stays for home use). Is there any way to queue up a playlist or shuffle for the Poly, so you can turn the phone off? If so, is there a way to pause/play or send basic commands (for headphones/earbuds that have inline controls)?

Chord have released a series of videos explaining how to use the Poly http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-specs-in-1st-post/1335#post_13339881

I haven't watched them, so I don't know if they answer your question.
Also keep in mind that Chord are still updating the Poly code, and adding extra functionality, so if the videos do not show the functionality that you need, then do not give up hope yet. 
regular_smile .gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,543 of 19,043
Chord have released a series of videos explaining how to use the Poly http://www.head-fi.org/t/831347/chord-electronics-poly-advanced-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-specs-in-1st-post/1335#post_13339881

I haven't watched them, so I don't know if they answer your question.
Also keep in mind that Chord are still updating the Poly code, and adding extra functionality, so if the videos do not show the functionality that you need, then do not give up hope yet. 
regular_smile%20.gif
They are well worth checking out

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,544 of 19,043
Have Chord applied to Tidal to have the Poly as supported equipment?

The problem becomes that you need to be signed in to TIDAL to play off line content, and how do you sign in to TIDAL on MojoPoly?

So I am not sure if this is a question for Chord Electronics or for TIDAL.  I assume the device you are using to control the Poly would have to "see" the SDXC card in the Poly so that you could tell it to play the contents of the card, which should be possible over BlueTooth.

If this problem is not solvable, it becomes more of an obstacle to the purchase of a Poly, or even the Mojo.  Why would I buy something that I can not use as intended - 1) stream TIDAL where possible and 2) play TIDAL off line when I don't have an internet connection?

This would remove another potential group of buyers for both pieces of kit.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,545 of 19,043
  I assume the device you are using to control the Poly would have to "see" the SDXC card in the Poly so that you could tell it to play the contents of the card, which should be possible over BlueTooth.

Tidal/Spotify offline playback has been discussed many times in this thread, without clear answers. Neither Tidal nor Spotify support offline tracks on remote storage. Therefore it is not possible to use the SDXC card on the Poly for offline storage – you'll need to save offline tracks locally on the phone. The next question is how to play an offline track and send the audio stream to Poly. For iOS, it appears that it might be possible by using Poly as an AirPlay device. For Android it is not so clear, but there are AirPlay emulator apps that might work. All of this has been speculation by thread participants, and Chord has not stepped in with answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back