Chord Announces Poly, Hugo 2 and Blu MkII @ CES 2017
Jan 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #76 of 144
Oh I'm sure the quality is excellent and there's no doubt it's not garbage. But for what it actually does $600 is pure ridiculousness

By comparison I just picked up a Schiit Jotunheim and Modi Multibit for about $600. No way this one little device (basically a dongle) is the same value as a stack like that in my playbook. Don't defend companies who want to price gouge loyal customers (ahem Apple) it only encourages the practice. Good idea. Ridiculous price.

I agree that the price is ridiculous and despite Chord's unwillingness to sacrifice quality, there is definitely price gauging here. You can argue that they need to make money but they would also get more sales volume at a lower price. I would love to have this but can't afford to pay the same price I paid for the Mojo, just to make the Mojo wireless.

However your comparison of products is also ridiculous, this is a a solution for a portable rig, and as such your Jotunheim and Modi stack has zero value to me, for example, vs the Mojo and Poly.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #77 of 144
No

You need your phone to control so. In total it used 3 devices to finally get music to your headphone out....
Without Poly, you just need 2 devices

But the mobile is just to be used as interface for controlling music NOT to stream music, right?
I assume tis will be much better solution without wires and attaching the player to the mojo. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #78 of 144
But the mobile is just to be used as interface for controlling music NOT to stream music, right?
I assume tis will be much better solution without wires and attaching the player to the mojo. 

It basically takes the otg wire needed to connect to a phone away. At a price of 600$ or so. And if you want a case to cover more expect to shell out more.

The actual mojo is the cheapest product in the whole chain.

Also, expect to drain your phones battery ever quicker

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #79 of 144
Poly is NOT intended to be 'only' for DAP-style usage.

It is a much, much, broader product, but you are evidently determined to view it from only one perspective. Again, that is absolutely your prerogative, but others can see more potential.

So be it

No hard feelings
popcorn.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #80 of 144

No

You need your phone to control so. In total it used 3 devices to finally get music to your headphone out....
Without Poly, you just need 2 devices

As I understand it, if you choose to listen to streamed music, then your smartphone would receive the streamed data from your streaming service, over-the-air, and then that same smartphone would stream that music data to Poly (DLNA protocol)

Alternatively, if the music content is stored on a microSD card, inserted into Poly, then the smartphone will only direct Poly which data to send to Mojo directly from the microSD card, with no actual music data passing via the smartphone. In this scenario, the only music data that the smartphone processes is the metadata tags, in order to display them in your smartphone music app. This scenario would be using an MPD-compatible app:

so will it play sd card stored music by any music app in android or ios like neutron, or will it be a by dedicated music player for chord specifically

I imagine something dedicated or could cause too many problems but Im not sure

It doesn't require a dedicated app, but it does need to be an MPD (Music Player Daemon) app.

I think the Poly is pretty revolutionary. 
Hugo 2 was expected. The CD player, dont know whats up with that. But the poly alone is good enough if they implemented it properly, and if the app is up to the mark.

I was really hoping they integrated MQA support into it. but alas.

You will be able to use your existing applications to stream to Poly via Airplay, DLNA, Roon, and MPD to play the media from the SD card regarding MQA we are in conversation with Roon on this matter

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #81 of 144

As I understand it, if you choose to listen to streamed music, then your smartphone would receive the streamed data from your streaming service, over-the-air, and then that same smartphone would stream that music data to Poly (DLNA protocol)

Alternatively, if the music content is stored on a microSD card, inserted into Poly, then the smartphone will only direct Poly which data to send to Mojo directly from the microSD card, with no actual music data passing via the smartphone. In this scenario, the only music data that the smartphone processes is the metadata tags, in order to display them in your smartphone music app. This scenario would be using an MPD-compatible app:

But if streaming, then by which connection method would the phone stream the data to Poly? Let's say I'm on the train and I stream my music through regular 4GLTE. If I'm not mistaken, the best way to connect to Poly would be through WiFi (I have a Galaxy). But once I turn on WiFi to connect to Poly locally, I would no longer be able to use my 4GLTE connection to stream from Tidal to my phone... no? If I use Bluetooth then there will be audio compression (no?)

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #82 of 144
This will not work, Mojo only takes digital input and the E3 does not offer a any digital output like coax, toslink or USB. You need at least the E5 which has toslink output to feed i.e. toslink input from Mojo.

I appreciate this and agree it would be double amping, but with a bluetooth connection it shouldnt be the weak link. I do agree with the post previous though, we need to see what sort of interface the SD has with a phone. If we can use an app to tell the mojo what to play from the SD at its native rate, thats a different ballgame and something i might use.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #83 of 144
While I'm excited that Chord put in a bunch of engineering work on this, I don't seriously think I will use the Poly. It just doesn't seem practical, as many have pointed out, you need to use an external device to control it, plus you're adding a device with the Poly itself. Not that I drop my stuff, but God forbid you drop the combination, it looks like it would break off at the connectors pretty easily and you're out at least the cost of the Poly.

I think I'm going to just sell the Mojo and get a Hugo2 when it comes out. I don't really need wireless streaming and I'm guessing that getting ad hoc WiFi to work in a portable scenario will take some finagling each time anyways. The Hugo2 already has Bluetooth, if needed. The Hugo2 is not insanely more in price than the Mojo/Poly combination, plus will put out better overall sound quality.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #84 of 144
Not that I drop my stuff, but God forbid you drop the combination, it looks like it would break off at the connectors pretty easily and you're out at least the cost of the Poly.

Chord will be releasing a purpose-designed protective case to contain the combination of Mojo+Poly.

@Mojo ideas Is there any chance of you making a case that includes the Mojo with the add on module?

Mojo Ideas replied to me when I asked if there would be a case to encompass Mojo and SD-card module. Answer, "Yes".

There was a bit of non-official discussion on this, a year ago - Chord may have different plans now (perhaps not so many modules on the drawing board), but I still anticipate an extended case of some description, to see the light of day, in due course:

. This one is option 3 our favourite option one was disregarded earlier

My vote also goes to this design.

I'd like the silver Mojo which seems to be lurking inside as well please.:hugging:

However what happens (to either solution) if someone wants to clip on one of the proposed add-on modules?

Ian

I don't anticipate that those cases will be particularly expensive - therefore, it might be quite viable to produce standard-sized versions and also extended versions, to simultaneously encompass both the Mojo and an attached add-on module. This could also confer a nice benefit of reinforcing the 'join' between the Mojo and the add-on.

(Image credit - Drew  @ Moonaudio)

This is just for fun, so excuse the roughness of this photoshopped mock-up, but this is the kind of thing I was imagining:

Already imagined and more but it can't be quite like that as there are four different module to accommodate it's being refined and costed but it's great you guys can get a hint of where we are going with mojo it's more of a system that a product. But please be patient we want to get all this really right and not just okay.

The following comment, from John Franks, is mid 2016:

my thoughts, too....esp for $100

and if that add-on comes out shortly
what happens then?

Because we have the extender module and the more complex modules underway it's was always our plan to offer a well made longer case too.

They are currently in manufacture and you've reminded me to chase the guys. if I have news tomorrow I'll give you all an update,

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #86 of 144
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #87 of 144
Can I turn in my existing $100 Chord case for credit towards the new one?

Edit: Also, I see there is only one USB port on the Poly. Do I have to disconnect the Poly to use the USB input mode on the Mojo?

Yea it sucks that we paid 100 for that case and now we have to purchase a new case for the new combo.
Please Chord stay away from Apple's approach is selling accessories. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #88 of 144
Oh I'm sure the quality is excellent and there's no doubt it's not garbage. But for what it actually does $600 is pure ridiculousness

By comparison I just picked up a Schiit Jotunheim and Modi Multibit for about $600. No way this one little device (basically a dongle) is the same value as a stack like that in my playbook. Don't defend companies who want to price gouge loyal customers (ahem Apple) it only encourages the practice. Good idea. Ridiculous price.

What you just did is compare a meh dac and a great amp, apparently so,

against a PORTABLE AMP DAC. 

How do you feel now? This is not a AMP DAC stack. It's a "wirelessly controlled" audio player.

Understood?

It's expensive and ludicrous but could your stack do that? Does that mean nobody should buy it?

I appreciate this and agree it would be double amping, but with a bluetooth connection it shouldnt be the weak link. I do agree with the post previous though, we need to see what sort of interface the SD has with a phone. If we can use an app to tell the mojo what to play from the SD at its native rate, thats a different ballgame and something i might use.

Mojo DOES NOT have a Line IN. At all. 
It's a DAC + Amp with NO line in facility.

While I'm excited that Chord put in a bunch of engineering work on this, I don't seriously think I will use the Poly. It just doesn't seem practical, as many have pointed out, you need to use an external device to control it, plus you're adding a device with the Poly itself. Not that I drop my stuff, but God forbid you drop the combination, it looks like it would break off at the connectors pretty easily and you're out at least the cost of the Poly.

I think I'm going to just sell the Mojo and get a Hugo2 when it comes out. I don't really need wireless streaming and I'm guessing that getting ad hoc WiFi to work in a portable scenario will take some finagling each time anyways. The Hugo2 already has Bluetooth if needed and is not insanely more in price than the Mojo/Poly combination, plus will put out better sound quality.
Bluetooth can transmit better sound quality??

Am I missing something there?

Let me know a day bluetooth isn't compressed.

Yea it sucks that we paid 100 for that case and now we have to purchase a new case for the new combo.

Interesting. So by your "approach" all manufacturers SHOULD NOT sell any accessories.

Thanks. Now we have no matching accessories for anything at all.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #89 of 144

Can I turn in my existing $100 Chord case for credit towards the new one?

Edit: Also, I see there is only one USB port on the Poly. Do I have to disconnect the Poly to use the USB input mode on the Mojo?

Guys, come on; be fair about this - you didn't seriously expect a snug-fitting Mojo case to magically have room for an extension module, did you? Really?

John Franks discussed the likelihood of extension modules, long before the standard-sized Mojo case even came to market.

For example:

Munkonggadgets interview with John Franks, of Chord Electronics

Pretending that you've been hard done-by because you bought a standard-sized Mojo case and now it won't accommodate an extension module is like expecting the standard-sized Mojo case to come with a magic wand to bend the laws of time-space, in your personal corner of this dimension of the universe
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #90 of 144
Quote:

Guys, come on; be fair about this - you didn't seriously expect a snug-fitting Mojo case to magically have room for an extension module, did you? Really?

John Franks discussed the likelihood of extension modules, long before the standard-sized Mojo case even came to market.

For example:

Munkonggadgets interview with John Franks, of Chord Electronics

Pretending that you've been hard done-by because you bought a standard-sized Mojo case and now it won't accommodate an extension module is like expecting the standard-sized Mojo case to come with a magic wand to bend the laws of time-space, in your personal corner of this dimension of the universe
wink.gif

Well, "fair" is pretty subjective. I don't think it's reasonably fair to assume that everyone who owns one of these devices will follow forums religiously, scanning for threads on interviews. I also don't think the price for the case at $100 was fair. So yeah, I do feel a bit stiffed. Can you empathize?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back