Chord Announces Poly, Hugo 2 and Blu MkII @ CES 2017
Jan 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #91 of 144
Quote:
While I'm excited that Chord put in a bunch of engineering work on this, I don't seriously think I will use the Poly. It just doesn't seem practical, as many have pointed out, you need to use an external device to control it, plus you're adding a device with the Poly itself. Not that I drop my stuff, but God forbid you drop the combination, it looks like it would break off at the connectors pretty easily and you're out at least the cost of the Poly.

I think I'm going to just sell the Mojo and get a Hugo2 when it comes out. I don't really need wireless streaming and I'm guessing that getting ad hoc WiFi to work in a portable scenario will take some finagling each time anyways. The Hugo2 already has Bluetooth if needed and is not insanely more in price than the Mojo/Poly combination, plus will put out better sound quality.

Bluetooth can transmit better sound quality??

Am I missing something there?

Let me know a day bluetooth isn't compressed.

​Dave, grammar error on my part.  I meant the Hugo2 is better in sound quality overall, not Bluetooth.  I fixed my post to read a bit clearer. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #92 of 144

Quote:

Guys, come on; be fair about this - you didn't seriously expect a snug-fitting Mojo case to magically have room for an extension module, did you? Really?

John Franks discussed the likelihood of extension modules, long before the standard-sized Mojo case even came to market.

For example:

Munkonggadgets interview with John Franks, of Chord Electronics

Pretending that you've been hard done-by because you bought a standard-sized Mojo case and now it won't accommodate an extension module is like expecting the standard-sized Mojo case to come with a magic wand to bend the laws of time-space, in your personal corner of this dimension of the universe
wink.gif

Well, "fair" is pretty subjective. I don't think it's reasonably fair to assume that everyone who owns one of these devices will follow forums religiously, scanning for threads on interviews. I also don't think the price for the case at $100 was fair. So yeah, I do feel a bit stiffed. Can you empathize?

Globally, the main English-speaking forum thread for Mojo, right here on Head-fi, currently has 2,359,189 views, and clearly-emblazoned in the title of that thread is a note about a comprehensive FAQ, in post #3, which conveniently collates a wide range of information, including a list of videos, including the aforementioned interview with John Franks.

Additionally, in that same thread (and included in post #3)  there are photographs of prototype and production versions of the simple CCK module, which also point to the fact that Mojo has long been intended for use with extension modules.

No religious scanning necessary - it's all there, on a silver platter, for anyone who takes the time to heed the thread title.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #93 of 144

The main English-speaking forum thread for Mojo, right here on Head-fi, currently has 2,359,189 views, and clearly-emblazoned in the title of that thread is a note about a comprehensive FAQ, in post #3, which conveniently collates a wide range of information, including a list of videos, including the aforementioned interview with John Franks.

Additionally, in that same thread (and included in post #3)  there are photographs of prototype and production versions of the simple CCK module, which also point to the fact that Mojo has long been intended for use with extension modules.

No religious scanning necessary - it's all there, on a silver platter, for anyone who takes the time to heed the thread title.

I was originally in agreement with Mython, however given that the case is in fact $100, and the fact that they planned to introduce modules to the Mojo from the outset, they could have implemented some sort of adaptability into a the case. At $100 the case costs more than many DACs and Amps out there. And it's just a case. Or at least have another option that's more affordable since they knew they would become useless in the future, maybe even make it rubber.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #94 of 144
  I was originally in agreement with Mython, however given that the case is in fact $100, and the fact that they planned to introduce modules to the Mojo from the outset, they could have implemented some sort of adaptability into a the case. At $100 the case costs more than many DACs and Amps out there. And it's just a case. Or at least have another option that's more affordable since they knew they would become useless in the future, maybe even make it rubber.

​Thanks for understanding where I'm coming from here.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #95 of 144
Yes the Poly is expensive but it's an unique product with no competitors AFAIK.

But the problem is, what's the use case for a portable wireless streamer with a battery? Streaming from your phone to your Poly in your man-purse is stupid. Streaming music from your home server using the poly instead of the phone is also stupid, you still need to carry the phone to control the Poly. Can't you just use the phone?

Is Chord going to launch a couple of battery powered bookshelf speakers than can do the Mojo DAC justice? I doubt it.

PS: Don't tell me you can use the Poly at home. You can buy a nice fanless ultrabook with a touchscreen for the same money and play music, movies and have nice touch monitor for album art and control.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #96 of 144
  Yes the Poly is expensive but it's an unique product with no competitors AFAIK.

But the problem is, what's the use case for a portable wireless streamer with a battery? Streaming from your phone to your Poly in your man-purse is stupid. Streaming music from your home server using the poly instead of the phone is also stupid, you still need to carry the phone to control the Poly. Can't you just use the phone?

Is Chord going to launch a couple of battery powered bookshelf speakers than can do the Mojo DAC justice? I doubt it.

PS: Don't tell me you can use the Poly at home. You can buy a nice fanless ultrabook with a touchscreen for the same money and play music, movies and have nice touch monitor for album art and control.

It's unique... so it can be priced to as much as they want? Great justification.

One obvious use case is that it reduces bulk compared with stacking a Mojo and your phone (fitting that into your pants pocket is not fun nor does it provide peace of mind as to the lifespan of your OTG cable or the Micro USB sockets in your devices). Now you'd be able to have one in each pocket with your phone not tied to anything, and don't have to switch back and forth between phone and DAP to switch tracks then read news etc.

Even better for commuters who can put MojoPoly in their bag and just use their phone for everything.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #97 of 144
Was hoping for a smaller mojo or MQA update for chord products. The poly is interesting, I just don't have a need for more bulk on my portable dac/amp. The blue mk II is definitely going to be an interesting addition for my Dave, hopefully my local dealer gets a demo soon and my wife doesn't kill me after buying two new headphones, utopia and kaiser encore.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #99 of 144
I see some people here complain about the price, if you think it expensive DONT BUY IT, no one put a knife to your throats and force you to buy it, this hobby is Very Expensive, get out now and find some other cheap hobby, buy what you can afford:smile::smile::smile:

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #100 of 144

As I understand it, if you choose to listen to streamed music, then your smartphone would receive the streamed data from your streaming service, over-the-air, and then that same smartphone would stream that music data to Poly (DLNA protocol)

Alternatively, if the music content is stored on a microSD card, inserted into Poly, then the smartphone will only direct Poly which data to send to Mojo directly from the microSD card, with no actual music data passing via the smartphone. In this scenario, the only music data that the smartphone processes is the metadata tags, in order to display them in your smartphone music app. This scenario would be using an MPD-compatible app:

Yes this.  This is how I'm interpreting it too.  It's basically a DAP with no screen.  Your smartphone will act is the interface/ external screen.  I just don't understand the bluetooth part.  Is it receiving or broadcasting bluetooth?  If it's receiving from the smartphone then what would Wifi's purpose be.  If it''s broadcasting, then why wouldn't you just use your phone's bluetooth?  It's all digital so it's not like it would make a difference where the source is.

Another concern is that if the Poly and smartphone are tethered via wifi, how would you stream an app such as Spotify/Pandora/Tidal without using cellular data (ie. use home wifi).

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #101 of 144
I see some people here complain about the price, if you think it expensive DONT BUY IT, no one put a knife to your throats and force you to buy it, this hobby is Very Expensive, get out now and find some other cheap hobby, buy what you can afford:smile::smile::smile:

The mojo itself is expensive for what it is.  I bought it.  I swear I thought someone had a knife to my throat though.  At least that's what I use to justify my purchase.

The mojo sounds so good that it's almost as if I knew how to play the song myself better than the artist in my own room. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #102 of 144

Of course we'll complain about the price when it's warranted. Believe it or not I want to support Chord, I did buy the Mojo and still own it, after all. That doesn't mean we can't call out wrongdoing when we see it. It's not to diminish their achievement but this sounds like greed to me. But I'll digress and again ask how this price can be justified? It adds functionality to the Mojo yet costs just as much... this is just plain lack of consumer empathy. "If you want it then pay as much as we want you to pay for it".

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #103 of 144
Of course we'll complain about the price when it's warranted. Believe it or not I want to support Chord, I did buy the Mojo and still own it, after all. That doesn't mean we can't call out wrongdoing when we see it. It's not to diminish their achievement but this sounds like greed to me. But I'll digress and again ask how this price can be justified? It adds functionality to the Mojo yet costs just as much... this is just plain lack of consumer empathy. "If you want it then pay as much as we want you to pay for it".

Right, at what point do you guys draw the line then? If this thing was $1000 are you still cool with it? It costs as much as the damn Mojo does! And it's basically a big dongle, get outta here with that crap Chord.

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #104 of 144
It costs more than the Mojo.

And to the person saying that if it's expensive don't buy it, we will send a message to the maker by not buying it and telling them the same. Only fools bend over and accept everything thrown at them and we all know what happens to a fool and his money.

Still waiting for the official video from Jude showcasing the Polys abilities before I write it off but it's not looking good.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #105 of 144
I can understand the surprise & dismay at Poly being stickered at more than Mojo, but, at the same time, I can't help noting that the irony of people slamming Chord for Poly costing more than Mojo is that Chord could have charged $1200 or more, for Mojo (remember, its performance is very close to Hugo 1).

Had they decided to charge customers that much (and we all know that some competitors, if they owned Mojo, would've charged that much or even substantially more), then it would still have been a groundbreaking product and would still have sold in very healthy numbers, around the globe, but it would've been within the grasp of far fewer people.

Had Mojo been priced at 1200 bucks or more, then people would've viewed Poly as being half the price of Mojo.

Viewed from that hypothetical standpoint, perhaps Chord made a mistake in selling Mojo too cheap?

Personally, I'm grateful they didn't charge more for Mojo.

Another point, which few people seem to be sincerely acknowledging, is that Brexit has weakened the pound against the dollar, through no fault of the company, and this makes it (& Mojo) more expensive to produce, than when Mojo was released, 14 months ago.

I'm not suggesting that anyone's heart should be bleeding, for Chord, over this - not at all, but there are mitigating circumstances which should rightly be acknowledged, even if one still wishes the product were cheaper.

It's also a relatively unorthodox product, with significant development costs, both in-house and with consulting partners. The R&D on Poly was not a couple of grand!

In case anyone is wondering, I can't afford Poly, but that doesn't mean I am jumping to the conclusion that it is automatically a heinously overpriced product.

I can see both sides of the situation

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back