Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 10, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,906 of 6,290
2. i've started listing tracks that get a series of pops (not just one near the start) and so far they have been songs with dynamic range (as per Roon's calcs) >10 (e.g. 13 and 15).
Well well well..... Bill Evans "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" redbook DR 13 in Roon. Clicks kicking up about halfway into the album. Been listening for a few hours - no drama on other content. Prior album to this was DR 11 with no issues.

Doody

May 10, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #1,909 of 6,290
Hi. I've been following the thread thinking if I should get the 2go. The thing is streaming is not that important to me as I have other devices for that.

I want it to improve SQ, by taking out the noise and other degradation from using external interfaces. I use optical from my SP2000 and an audiophileo for USB from my Mac. Will the 2go yield better (more pure) SQ using its internal SDcards?

May 10, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,910 of 6,290
Hi. I've been following the thread thinking if I should get the 2go. The thing is streaming is not that important to me as I have other devices for that.

I want it to improve SQ, by taking out the noise and other degradation from using external interfaces. I use optical from my SP2000 and an audiophileo for USB from my Mac. Will the 2go yield better (more pure) SQ using its internal SDcards?

In my experience, emphatically yes! For me though i seem to get more engagement from cleaner sources. I don't care about resolution but ISOregen for example between macbook and DAC is a night and day better SQ for me.

May 10, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #1,911 of 6,290
In my experience, emphatically yes! For me though i seem to get more engagement from cleaner sources. I don't care about resolution but ISOregen for example between macbook and DAC is a night and day better SQ for me.

Yes, I also really value a pure signal for engagement with the music. That is what I'm asking though. I'm already using an Audiophilleo between my Mac and my DACs. Is the direct interface of the 2Go better than, say, your ISOregen?

May 10, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #1,912 of 6,290
It still makes no sense :). But I'm paying attention!

Doody
Ok so as always these are random observations and gut feel. I make no attempt at explanations. But just now there was a pop aligning with these random observations we've been making. I was looking for a redbook album with high DR. This recent Igor Levit "Beethoven Complete Piano Sonatas" seemed a good option. DR16 for the album. 14 seconds into the 4th track i got a good old pop. Seek and ye shall find bias but this aligns with: high DR track, about 10-15secs into the track; redbook quality. I'm Roon over ethernet into the 2go.

Sorry I don't have Tidal so couldn't get Bill Evans but maybe you could try Igor?

May 10, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #1,913 of 6,290
Yes, I also really value a pure signal for engagement with the music. That is what I'm asking though. I'm already using an Audiophilleo between my Mac and my DACs. Is the direct interface of the 2Go better than, say, your ISOregen?
Sorry i read as "audiophile cable" not an active device. MicroSD is definitely blacker. And it's very engaging. I haven't A/B'd enough to say if better. If the Audiophileo is good then i wouldn't necessarily say to forgo the benefit of Roon to switch to the microSD. I mentioned in an earlier post a desire to try an etherregen before the ethernet in on the 2go. If that is decent i would personally stick with Roon>etherregen>2go>hugo 2. If 2go control was rock solid from the apps then this might be different.....

I will say i'm a happy camper when at work though using just the microSDs.

May 11, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #1,914 of 6,290
Lip sync is a bear of a problem. I'm super sensitive to it. No system I've ever owned could handle it to my liking, including kilobuck AV processors. So I don't even try. Music only for me, and whatever for movies/tv. I have zero expectation that I could use my H2go and get properly lip-sync'd audio. I'll watch for the magic solution here, but I won't hold my breath.

Doody

Lip sync is both measurable AND tameable with the right kit, eg a https://sync-one2.harkwood.co.uk/ and an AV processor that can handle delays, or something like http://www.felston.com/products.htm

May 11, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,915 of 6,290
Interesting. I have not noticed this. In fact, my experiences are usually well into a track. What is your Resync Delay set to in Roon in your H2go Device Setup? Mine is 100ms, which I think is the default. You can set it as high as 10s. Perhaps try that (it'll be annoying, but...) and see if it changes the "early in the track" behavior? This way you'll know (with some certainty) that Roon is queuing everything up correctly before 2go even gets to see it. Random thought.

Fascinating theory, but not sure I grok how this would work. 2go is just moving bits from the network to H2. It doesn't care what the DR is. If H2 plays that data flawlessly (which I assume it does) then 2go should just pass that data along to H2 without drama and have it play flawlessly. The packets getting to 2go don't change based on DR, and (most likely) whatever 2go is doing internally doesn't care about what's in the data either - it just re-packs it for transmission over USB to H2. Anything is possible though! In the absence of answers, we WILL continue to speculate. I will start tracking that info as well. Thx.

It'd be lovely to hear from Chord as to how things are going on this pops/clicks problem. It does have to get sorted out, and we expect it will be, but it'd be nicer to have it sorted sooner rather than, say, in 2021 or 2022 :wink:.

Doody
We're working on it! It's something deep in the core processing code so we are picking it apart piece by piece to see if we can repeat the clicks and then make changes to see if we have a fix. It shouldn't be too much longer now but we have a lot of testing to get through first.

May 11, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,916 of 6,290
We're working on it! It's something deep in the core processing code so we are picking it apart piece by piece to see if we can repeat the clicks and then make changes to see if we have a fix. It shouldn't be too much longer now but we have a lot of testing to get through first.

Please pass on my sympathies to your developers. We’ve all been there at some time or another. Doubly worse now they are stuck at home as well!

May 11, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,917 of 6,290
Very glad to hear! Please let us guinea pigs know if and how we can be helpful.

Doody

May 11, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,918 of 6,290
HOME
Sennheiser HD 820: (Alo 'The Green Line' Cable) | Chord Hugo 2 (Chord 2go) | MacBook Pro 13 (2018) | Audirvana (Tidal)
WORK
Campfire Andromeda (Alo Pure Silver Litz Cable) | Chord Hugo 2 (Chord 2go) | iPhone 11 Pro (512GB) | M-connect (Tidal)

Amused that you're still working to keep up appearances. I commute from "the upstairs" to "the downstairs" now. Go hope! :)

Doody

May 11, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,919 of 6,290
Well well well..... Bill Evans "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" redbook DR 13 in Roon. Clicks kicking up about halfway into the album. Been listening for a few hours - no drama on other content. Prior album to this was DR 11 with no issues.

Doody

I just finished listening to the same album via Roon, but on WiFi, not ethernet. I did not hear any clicks. I've still not heard this clicking at anytime. If the clicking is *very* faint, I might be missing it. Hey @Doody thanks for the reminder about this album. It is a *great* album!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back