Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Aug 12, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #3,931 of 6,290
For people on here with similar setups to mine: I use the Hugo 2Go (and Mojopoly, which is arriving today) with my Audiostore Prestige 3 media server (known as Small Green Computers in the US); Pondering over the benefits of adding an Ether Regen to my system, rather than plugging the audio server directly into my router and BT Hub.

Any impressions would be most welcome!

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #3,932 of 6,290
I have an EtherRegen and I can say it for SURE makes an improvement to your front-end. It can further be enhanced by adding a better linear power supply, and then again with an external clock. But the EtherRegen in base form is a great improvement in my experience. I run my Hugo/2Go wirelessly, but I have no doubt that feeding it a cleaner ethernet signal would be a benefit SQ wise.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #3,933 of 6,290
I have an EtherRegen and I can say it for SURE makes an improvement to your front-end. It can further be enhanced by adding a better linear power supply, and then again with an external clock. But the EtherRegen in base form is a great improvement in my experience. I run my Hugo/2Go wirelessly, but I have no doubt that feeding it a cleaner ethernet signal would be a benefit SQ wise.

I also run mine wirelessly and haven't connected anything else to my server. I suppose the question is whether to expect any quality of life improvements on that basis.

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #3,934 of 6,290
I am not sure what to expect when running wirelessly...i'm guessing very little to none, but who knows. The goal of the EtherRegen is to eliminate noise in the system, and going wirelessly obviously introduces all kinds of questions AFTER you would have benefited from the filtering/reclocking. But who knows how much of that benefit makes it to your server and is maintained as it heads back up the network to your wifi. It's an interesting question. My comments relate to my hard-wired DAC which was insulated from the network and wireless.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #3,935 of 6,290
I also run mine wirelessly and haven't connected anything else to my server. I suppose the question is whether to expect any quality of life improvements on that basis.
I run mine wirelessly as well. I have a 3 hub mesh system and only have the server/core hooked up with ethernet. I have two hubs ( server and the one that usually feeds the h2go) powered by lps's. Thinking of a third one @ ifi power x for the middle hub. The lps' made a difference to my ears. They are botw supplies I had lying around, a bit overkill maybe. My next upgrade could be an audiophile ethernet card from jcat ( =ETHERGEN) . In conclusion, my experience points to doing everything possible with the routers to improve things. YMMV.

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #3,936 of 6,290
I can say with absolute subjective certainty (see how I wrote that?) that all the things you read about that you can do upstream of your music server and your DAC will make a noticeable and additive improvement...in a wired environment. Optical isolation, linear power supplies, power filters, dedicated power lines, bespoke ethernet cables (research brands), USB cables (research brands), USB reclockers, 10 mhz clocks, 75 ohm BNC bespoke clock cables, 50 ohm BNC bespoke clock cables, bespoke switches...all make a contribution to an improved system. Ultimately noticeable in terms of black background (did my system just stop playing after that song?), bigger soundstage, and smoother more realistic vocals. But it's a lot of money and clutter. A lot. Would you be better off taking all that money and upgrading speakers, DACs, amps, preamps, or music servers to the next level of each? Perhaps. Welcome to the debate. But tell me none of this matters? I will emphatically say back to you, you're wrong...everything matters.

I don't know what the right answer is from a $ perspective. I don't. Sometimes I lay awake at night and care. Sometimes I don't and I sleep like a baby. Sometimes in my listening chair.

It's also nice sometimes to pull out the H2Go, wirelessly, taking advantage of very little of all that clutter, sit outside on your patio, appease (somehow?) the H2Go wireless Roon gods, and entirely get through one of your all time favorite albums from your younger, healthier (happier?) days, and nothing else matters.

Mania.

P.S. A bourbon can help in all of the above situations. YMMV.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #3,938 of 6,290
For those of you who want the full monty without clutter and the price of a good VSOP (100$)
20200813_104820.jpg

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #3,939 of 6,290

Interesting. I have a H2Go which is in desktop mode and permanently connected to a headphone amp per my ID picture. I run that wirelessly because that seemed to me to be logically the better solution sound wise. I can quite easily connect it to Ethernet though and will now do that to verify whether there is any difference either way. I had been thinking of using a wire recently anyway because the high pressure heatwave we’re having is causing occasional issues with hires streaming from Qobuz using WiFi.

On a separate note, I mentioned this before when I got it, but I have to say that the H2Go case that I got is excellent value for money and makes moving around with H2Go much more convenient - and safer! When you consider that the Hugo case is £125 excluding delivery, the fact that this is a slightly more complex design involving more work and more leather, getting it delivered for £78 seems a bargain. I was able to choose the design, the colour and also specify that I wanted a high quality, soft leather in a matte finish. I never promote items on here, but this was a great buy for me.

Attachments

• 36DC7108-B859-4AED-B75F-9D0300A4A19D.jpeg
    36DC7108-B859-4AED-B75F-9D0300A4A19D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Aug 13, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3,941 of 6,290
In an odd twist of events, sitting in the exact same spot I had this running over the last couple of days with all kinds of issues, this morning I've miraculously gotten 4 straight, uninterrupted hours of playback via Roon wirelessly (admittedly CD quality)...PLUGGED IN TO POWER.

This is easily 10x the time I've been able to do this previously, anywhere in my house, when on power. I couldn't get through more than a song or 2 yesterday in the identical place. To my knowledge, nothing got a software upgrade or reboot in my whole system.

Head scratching continues.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #3,942 of 6,290
In an odd twist of events, sitting in the exact same spot I had this running over the last couple of days with all kinds of issues, this morning I've miraculously gotten 4 straight, uninterrupted hours of playback via Roon wirelessly (admittedly CD quality)...PLUGGED IN TO POWER.

This is easily 10x the time I've been able to do this previously, anywhere in my house, when on power. I couldn't get through more than a song or 2 yesterday in the identical place. To my knowledge, nothing got a software upgrade or reboot in my whole system.

Head scratching continues.

My experience with Poly and 2Go is that they are highly sensitive to interference which can vary greatly at different times. Just yesterday my 2Go, which has been performing very well for more than a week, was having issues with pausing/dropping in Roon. Nothing changed in my environment and this occurred in the same spot it has been for many hours of flawless playback. When I checked my network stats I saw that the 2Go's wireless signal strength was lower than it has been any other time I've checked. Last night, everything was back in good working order. I am chalking this up to interference, not sure what caused it.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3,943 of 6,290
My experience with Poly and 2Go is that they are highly sensitive to interference which can vary greatly at different times. Just yesterday my 2Go, which has been performing very well for more than a week, was having issues with pausing/dropping in Roon. Nothing changed in my environment and this occurred in the same spot it has been for many hours of flawless playback. When I checked my network stats I saw that the 2Go's wireless signal strength was lower than it has been any other time I've checked. Last night, everything was back in good working order. I am chalking this up to interference, not sure what caused it.

How can you check the wireless signal? Do you mean the number of “bars” on the WiFi symbol in the app, or is there a way that provides more specific details.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #3,944 of 6,290
If you can check your network status and it says "some dummy from Ohio stole your bandwidth" then we might be onto a pattern here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back