Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jul 14, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #3,106 of 6,314
And I actually bought the 2GO because you were saying in this thread how great it worked while this was absolutely not true. The product was not in the state as you described it.
Yeah. I’m pissed as well but the sound is too good..., I think within this community we should be able to figure out a network topology guide that clears up these issues... I dont mind doing it... pretty crazy that chord not taking any leadership here though.... so let’s figure it out..,, I would ask for anyone not experiencing issues with multi room usage Via Roon... Please post your exact network topology... router type.... number of mesh nodes. Etc.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3,107 of 6,314
It is absolutely worth the sound upgrade sound wise it is effing fantastic. I went for a hike with it yesterday and literally could not believe that I was actually walking around with this kind of audio quality.... There is no digital audio player in existence that comes close. If you browse Headfi and you hear others saying this x is better etc....they are full of crap. This is NOT subjective.... It is simply a superior piece of kit. I held off on trying Hugo 2 For over two years after reading the verge review and then reading a lot of BS on this site Finally jumped in and just bought it and 2go and could not believe what I was hearing. One thing I found out about this hobby is you’ve just got a buy it with a 30 or 60 day return and give it a try you can’t listen to any opinions out there get some guidance but you gotta try. I also think there’s a lot of people that just spew crap because they have their own agenda most likely an affiliation with the hardware oem.

The Verge review was way out of line. Whoever did that review did not give themselves time to get to familiar with the Hugo 2. (No matter what they say.) The Verge review reflects exactly how I heard the Hugo 2 straight off on day one. I could hear heaps of detail over the Mojo. However all that new detail was like shards and slivers tacked on to sounds I was familiar with the Mojo. That is the impression I think The Verge review heard, and never got past it.

When I got my Hugo 2 and first played it, I looked for two things. One, tonal balance and natural warmth. Second, was it way more detailed than the Mojo and worth my money.

Hugo 2 passed my first point straight off. The second concern was how much better was it than Mojo, and being worth my money. In a word yes, because there was just so much more detail. However at first it was as I said, like my music with loads of splinters and shards added on. There was so much extra detail in stuff going on everywhere, that I could not really hear the music. I certainly could not really hear the music as a whole.

That is what I think The Verge review did. Heard that a few times and gave up. Or thought they were onto something no-one else was saying, and thought themselves cool for it. They stuck to it.

In my case, there was so much more going on with Hugo 2, that I knew I had to jut listen and listen. Get used to it. I decided sit in front of my Hugo 2 for a month and don't move. With constant listening, soon enough the extra details tied to the sounds, and so on. After a week, it was less a case of listen to get used to it, although I continued doing that. It had become more, 'life is too short to not listen music with the Hugo 2 all the time'.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #3,108 of 6,314
I had a slightly different experience. I was getting dropouts regularly (multiple times an hour that required a H2Go restart each time to resolve), and after the software upgrades I don't think I've had a single one in two different homes on two different wifi networks (both mesh), using Roon in my main home, and playing over Airplay in my cabin. I'm not suggesting the software update fixed everyone's issues by any means--I'm just suggesting that I didn't need to change anything with either of my wifi networks for the improvements. There are clearly multiple factors involved here which I know is adding to everyone's frustrations.

I have no issues with airplay. But I did not buy this for lossless playback via something like airplay. When at home there should be ZERO compromise. What is your network topology?

I don't blame you at all, I wouldn't be satisfied w/ Airplay-only either.

In my main house I have 4 Araknis AN500 end points...one on the second floor, two on the first floor, and one in the basement. They are hardwired to a Packedge router and Packedge switches. There are a couple of other switches sprinkled in at various points to facilitate hard-wiring of TVs and in some cases, stereo equipment. It's not a simple network by any terms, but seems reliable. I have a very connected house with 197 devices that connect at times between all my family's devices and my kids' friends who frequently visit (I didn't count them--Fing tells me!). My Roon server in my main system in the basement is isolated from a lot of that other traffic, but still ends up being wirelessly distributed through that network when I'm using the H2Go wirelessly with Roon, obviously.

My cabin has an Orbi AC2200 mesh network with 3 end points. Nothing is hardwired in that house.

Jul 14, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,109 of 6,314
The Verge review was way out of line. Whoever did that review did not give themselves time to get to familiar with the Hugo 2. (No matter what they say.) The Verge review reflects exactly how I heard the Hugo 2 straight off on day one. I could hear heaps of detail over the Mojo. However all that new detail was like shards and slivers tacked on to sounds I was familiar with the Mojo. That is the impression I think The Verge review heard, and never got past it.

When I got my Hugo 2 and first played it, I looked for two things. One, tonal balance and natural warmth. Second, was it way more detailed than the Mojo and worth my money.

Hugo 2 passed my first point straight off. The second concern was how much better was it than Mojo, and being worth my money. In a word yes, because there was just so much more detail. However at first it was as I said, like my music with loads of splinters and shards added on. There was so much extra detail in stuff going on everywhere, that I could not really hear the music. I certainly could not really hear the music as a whole.

That is what I think The Verge review did. Heard that a few times and gave up. Or thought they were onto something no-one else was saying, and thought themselves cool for it. They stuck to it.

In my case, there was so much more going on with Hugo 2, that I knew I had to jut listen and listen. Get used to it. I decided sit in front of my Hugo 2 for a month and don't move. With constant listening, soon enough the extra details tied to the sounds, and so on. After a week, it was less a case of listen to get used to it, although I continued doing that. It had become more, 'life is too short to not listen music with the Hugo 2 all the time'.

dude your thinking too hard... I never listened to the H2 before getting it last week.... and have only listened with the 2go.... the warmth and organic flow was leaps and bounds better than mojopoly, kann cube and fiio m15.... also benchmarking with my mscaler tt2... I knew how close it was.... the sound delta was immediate. And with a female friend... she almost threw the m15 in disgust after listening to the H2go with 4z... it was funny to see her reaction.

i have sotm net gear for my tt2 so I am very familiar with the value of a good streamer for sq lift. H2go is awesome with just 1 listen.... thereare no debates... I’d can guarantee I can grab 10 people at random in the street and 9 will pick H2go enthusiastically over any other dap on earth. I simply do not see any dap mfg catching up to cord in the next 3 years as they will all be using Sabre and AK Socs... and by that time we will probably have an mscaled hugo3. So for the time being THIS IS THE ENDGAME. PERIOD. Headfi should just get real and close every other dap thread on this forum. H2go has won.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #3,110 of 6,314
I don't blame you at all, I wouldn't be satisfied w/ Airplay-only either.

In my main house I have 4 Araknis AN500 end points...one on the second floor, two on the first floor, and one in the basement. They are hardwired to a Packedge router and Packedge switches. There are a couple of other switches sprinkled in at various points to facilitate hard-wiring of TVs and in some cases, stereo equipment. It's not a simple network by any terms, but seems reliable. I have a very connected house with 197 devices that connect at times between all my family's devices and my kids' friends who frequently visit (I didn't count them--Fing tells me!). My Roon server in my main system in the basement is isolated from a lot of that other traffic, but still ends up being wirelessly distributed through that network when I'm using the H2Go wirelessly with Roon, obviously.

My cabin has an Orbi AC2200 mesh network with 3 end points. Nothing is hardwired in that house.
Thanks! Maby I’ll start an xls with topologies that work. By the way. Maby I missed your opinion... but how are you enjoying the H2go sound? Loving it?

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #3,111 of 6,314
Thanks! Maby I’ll start an xls with topologies that work. By the way. Maby I missed your opinion... but how are you enjoying the H2go sound? Loving it?

I'm picky as hell about sound, and I frickin' love this thing. This is my first Chord product and even with all the warts, the sound is absolutely amazing. I'm selling a bunch of lesser DACs and dedicated headphone amps (that are as good, but not as convenient) and just moving this thing around system-to-system.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #3,112 of 6,314
Perhaps you should read Karl Popper.
It is impossible for any manufacturer to be sure that software will work with all the many thousands of routers, most using rebadged components, plus ISPs, some of which use non-standard router protocol attributes.
The best that any manufacturer can do, is to ensure that their firmware works with most of the routers, and then add the remaining exceptions as they become aware of them, through updates.

Do most people on here use their ISP provided modem/router, or do they bin them and use higher tech routers by the likes of Netgear, Cisco, D-Link, Linksys etc?
If they do, are they a solid upgrade over the equipment provided by the likes of UK providers such BT, Virgin, Sky etc?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #3,113 of 6,314
Do most people on here use their ISP provided modem/router, or do they bin them and use higher tech routers by the likes of Netgear, Cisco, D-Link, Linksys etc?
If they do, are they a solid upgrade over the equipment provided by the likes of UK providers such BT, Virgin, Sky etc?
I have my own modem.... cheaper than renting from Verizon and faster. And got rid of their modem WiFi router and have the rax. Mesh nodes thurs

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #3,114 of 6,314
I'm picky as hell about sound, and I frickin' love this thing. This is my first Chord product and even with all the warts, the sound is absolutely amazing. I'm selling a bunch of lesser DACs and dedicated headphone amps (that are as good, but not as convenient) and just moving this thing around system-to-system.
Yes I agree.... so much better than any other dap.... however tt2 mscaler bumps it up another notch but you can hear how this is it’s little brother. To be honest I actually like it more due to the fact that I can bring.... let’s say 80% of the TT2 and scaler on hikes and walks that’s just amazing to me

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #3,115 of 6,314
I have my own modem.... cheaper than renting from Verizon and faster. And got rid of their modem WiFi router and have the rax. Mesh nodes thurs
Not being from USA I guess Verizon are an ISP similar to BT, Sky, Virgin in UK? In the UK we do not pay for the modems that the IPS's provide, at least I never have with BT. If we did, or had to rent I would guess not many would and would go for an upgrade of some kind.
To be fair, I think the BT Smart Hubs have a decent reputation as far as I can see, and as I've stated on many occasions they provide fantastic connectivity to every device in my house, with one noteable exception:disappointed:

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #3,116 of 6,314
Yes I agree.... so much better than any other dap.... however tt2 mscaler bumps it up another notch but you can hear how this is it’s little brother. To be honest I actually like it more due to the fact that I can bring.... let’s say 80% of the TT2 and scaler on hikes and walks that’s just amazing to me

Yes, the mobility seals it for me...I've had some enjoyable hours on the back patio with this thing that I never would have thought possible.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,117 of 6,314
Not being from USA I guess Verizon are an ISP similar to BT, Sky, Virgin in UK? In the UK we do not pay for the modems that the IPS's provide, at least I never have with BT. If we did, or had to rent I would guess not many would and would go for an upgrade of some kind.
To be fair, I think the BT Smart Hubs have a decent reputation as far as I can see, and as I've stated on many occasions they provide fantastic connectivity to every device in my house, with one noteable exception:disappointed:

Being from the US, I can't speak for the UK providers, but I can say that the US stuff provided is complete crap, both modem-wise and the wireless solutions. That said, I still have trouble believing your network is the issue (or the only factor, anyway). I think you are feeling the same.

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #3,118 of 6,314
@Peter Hyatt was initially experiencing problems with his 2Go, then his ISP support desk advised him to change his router.
The new router worked fine with 2Go, but the update to the 2Go firmware caused problems again.
I don't know if he has managed to resolve this new issue yet.

Thankfully my French ISP router works without modification to the settings, but I am conscious that in the worst case, i might have to upgrade my router.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #3,119 of 6,314
Being from the US, I can't speak for the UK providers, but I can say that the US stuff provided is complete crap, both modem-wise and the wireless solutions. That said, I still have trouble believing your network is the issue (or the only factor, anyway). I think you are feeling the same.
With all due respect, what on earth would lead you to that conclusion? In my last post I stated the following of my modem
" I think the BT Smart Hubs have a decent reputation as far as I can see, and as I've stated on many occasions they provide fantastic connectivity to every device in my house, with one noteable exception:disappointed:"

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,120 of 6,314
What we're obviously missing with these issues is a low-level technical analysis of what is actually going on with the wireless connection in peoples' homes. Since we can't do that, has anyone tried a wireless scanner (software) to see if their wi-fi is on a channel shared by many other routers in nearby residences?

Another thing: Does your router support WMM (Wi-Fi Multimedia) settings, which prioritise different types of packets? Does changing this setting make any difference if your router does have it?

Are there any other special settings enabled (or disabled) on your router that might affect the connection? Every other year there seem to be some or other special settings appearing in routers for some new feature to improve speeds which may have who knows what effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back