Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,671 of 6,290
@Matt Bartlett when should we expect the actual 2Go firmware update?

Jun 22, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,672 of 6,290
“Minor bug fixes”

oh dear.

Attachments

• 7135DAC8-6E9C-4D97-A29C-91FB10613D25.png
    7135DAC8-6E9C-4D97-A29C-91FB10613D25.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,681 of 6,290
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #2,682 of 6,290
"Balanced" can mean different things, depending on whether you are talking about headphone amplifiers or audio cables.

For headphones, it means completely separate (unconnected) ground for each channel. Hence the need for 4 conductors. "Single Ended" combines the grounds for each channel.

For cables, it means the primary signal is split and one part is inverted from the other, along with a separate ground and shield.. This provides superior interference (think RFI) rejection, allowing for much longer cable runs. For unbalanced cables, the negative, ground, and shield are combined together.

I suspect (but haven't seen any schematics) the the grounds for the RCA jack are combined inside the H2. So the adaptors you've tried may provide a separate ground for each channel to the headphone, the grounds still (probably??) are not separated at the amp stage. Thus, the signal at the headphone is not truly balanced.

The fact that you can distinctively the difference is interesting. It could be that my guess about the H2 is wrong. Otherwise, you may be experiencing confirmation bias.

Of course, it's your ears and your money, so enjoy!! At times, even confirmation bias can be an enjoyable, if misleading, experience.

*Warning: I know this whole issue has become touchy, understandably. If you're just interested in the friction please skip this post. However, if you are genuinely interested in purchasing the PWAudio adapter and want some good information, I wrote this for you.

As far as I know @rwelles is correct. I'm a fan of this PWAudio RCA to 4.4 solution, but it is, in no way, balanced. The grounds are not internally separated, only at the connectors. This does not "balance" the grounds. I don't know if PWAudio is claiming to use the 5th pole on the 4.4, but that's not possible. There is simply no place for it to connect and remain a 5th pole. The two RCA jacks only have 4 connections L + ground, R + ground. Also, as I've posted before, I think most people know that the RCAs and the headphone jack all go back to the same exact output and ground.

So, I understand the skepticism. Of course, this shouldn't work. It shouldn't sound any different. But... Of course it does (depending on how resolving your system and hearing acuity).

If you don't believe that different connectors can have different sounds, better and worse, than you can move on. That's a reasonable decision. For myself, I pay the premium for Furutech over Radio Shack (RIP), Eidolic, and even Oyaide, every single time. That's also a reasonable decision. It's not reasonable or helpful to call anyone a fool. There's too much the smartest of us don't know. Informed and humble discussion should always be welcome.

Pro: So much of the headphone world has caught on to 4.4. Chord never will because of a foundational difference in design. I respect that design–immensely. But, that still leaves the functional problem of our 4.4 connectors. If you go cabled adapter you will lose SQ. How much depends on the materials, and yes, connectors, but there will be loss. If you go cable-less adapter ("hyper short," "ultra short," etc.) you get less loss, but are stuck with a rigid assembly putting strain on the connector and risking an accidental break. So, the PWAudio adapter is a sweet solution, elegantly solving the 4.4 problem and, possibly, increasing SQ to boot.

Con: If you believe that this adapter makes a difference sheerly based on the connectors, then you also have to believe that it also presents some loss over the direct 6.3 or 3.5 connection. In terms of transparency it goes: high quality cabled adapter < high quality cable-less adapter < no adapter. There's no getting around the fact you're adding metal. Chord believes in shortest path. So do I. This is why I reterminated my cable to 6.3 (Furutech). However, all our needs are different.

Is it possible that the RCA adapter will nevertheless sound better in other ways? Yeah, definitely. Is it possible that it just sounds different, and that it's just a matter of preference not quality? Yeah, that too. What's certain is that if you have a 4.4, which you're not willing to lose, the PWAudio is a perfectly viable choice. Personal opinion: all things considered, if you're set on 4.4 cables, it is the best choice.

Jun 22, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #2,683 of 6,290
Stage one of the firmware rollout has just completed.
There are now new versions of Gofigure for Android and iOS released which will be available across the world over the next 24 hours. V 1.2.90 for Android , V2.05 for iOS.
These include bug fixes and some essential updates for the new 2Go firmware.

best guess on the FW releas?

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,684 of 6,290
best guess on the FW releas?

Based on previous experience and because Apple are still suffering some delays due to Covid I would say it will be at least 24 hours before the
new version of Gofigure will roll out worldwide. We also have to update the app stores in China where Google Play is not available.
As soon as we have confirmation that the app is available to all then the firmware will go live.
As I said this is a staged approach so we can try and make sure customers have a chance to download the new app before the 2Go firmware is available
but the plan is still to release as soon as possible this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back