Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 17, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,056 of 6,311
Just read an interesting post by HQPlayer Jussi Lasko. Sound familiar?

Typical known problem on RasPi hardware are lost USB microframes (125 µs) on USB Audio Class protocol which happens due to USB bus load pattern and the way hardware/OS stack handles it.

On some hardware this causes small ticks in the sound, like dust particles on vinyl. On some other DAC the symptoms may be different, depending on how the DAC handles such lost frames.

Makes me wonder if dropped microframes could be the basis of the 2Go problem? If true, I’d bet this is more likely a software than hardware problem.

muski

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #2,058 of 6,311
make sure your connecting to 2.4 not 5 MHz. Also, as a test, remove all security from your said, then see if you can connect, then, if that works, add different levels of security back until you can’t. It’s frustrating. But I think got my wifi working.
Yes, I am only able to connect to my 2.4 network for the Hugo2go, the 5.0 network doesn't show up as an option in the app.
Pretty much everything else in my house is able to connect to the wifi, phone, laptop, iPad, Sonos speakers in every room. None of these have any wifi connnection issues, only the Hugo2go.
This is incredibly frustrating as I specifically bought the Chord as a way to listen to my high-end headphones around the house, especially in bed.
Now if i am in any room in my small apartment other than my living room, I have to plug the cans into a 3.5mm convertor, into a dragonfly, into my iPad while the chord sits there are useful as a brick.
Before I got the 2go, I could listen to the Chord everywhere, attached to another source (phone, laptop etc) as a digital source and roon endpoint. So since upgrading to the 2go, I now cannot even digitally connect to another source that is able to stream over the wifi, so it is basically a one-room device now. :frowning2:

May 18, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #2,059 of 6,311
Does anyone know whether Chord have released the 2yu and whether it's shipping yet?

Re the ios App issues above. Glider is working well for me (i went back to it after issues with Rigelian) for SD Card playback, which sounds brill BTW, though I have some albums with artwork and some without.

On the subject of Apps, I really hope at some point (soon) Chord bite the bullet and develop a proprietary app to manage fully functional playback of SD Cards playback on iOs / Android. Don't know many examples. I have had a quick look at the Naim/Linn apps used to control their streaming/servers etc and they get pretty mixed reviews as well (crashing etc).

May 18, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #2,060 of 6,311
Wow ok there has been a lot of posting over the weekend.
Just so you know I've noted everything I can but I can't possibly reply to all the comments.
However here are a few notes from my side to add into the mix:-

1. The clicks and pops issue is close to being resolved. Testing continues but it really isn't far away now.
2. I've taken note of the cover art issue. We are using a newer version of MPD so it isn't 4 years old. I would be interested to know the source of the high res files that are causing cover art issues. If they are converted or upsampled then it may have messed with the meta data. I know that Glider for instance uses a hybrid model where it will try to extract the cover art from the file and if it can't it will then go to one of the online services to download it. If the music is in a format that changed from the original then it will not be able to locate cover art.
3. Roon / Audirvana cannot currently access the music stored on the SD cards inside 2Go as neither of these software programs supports DLNA server playback. We are and have been looking at the option of a network share for the SD cards so they can appear as network drives which would work with Roon but as yet this is untested and we have some security concerns to work through.
4. Can someone tell me what file format is being played to cause the screeching noise between tracks. My guess is that it might be tracks that have been upsampled or converted to DSD128 or DSD256.
5. To get J River to work with 2Go you need to go into tools-options-media network and add or configure DLNA servers. Add an audiophile 24 bit DAC server and you should be good to go. I use this all the time with 2Go and Poly.
6. Some router issues will be addressed with the next update. I think the majority are caused when running on mesh or enterprise type networks with multiple access points. When you move from one room/zone to another either your phone or 2Go may have to reconnect which causes the music to stop. There can also be an issue where despite you being next to a different access point on your mesh network the signal from the original access point is still strong enough to stop phone/2Go swapping to the access point closest to it so you get drop outs. You can try putting your phone and 2Go in Airplane mode until you are closer to the new access point and then turning Airplane mode off so it will reconnect to the closest router. In any case it's something we are actively working on a solution to.

I think that covers the majority of topics over the weekend. If I have missed anything then I apologise but as you can imagine I have a lot on my plate at the moment.

Stay safe everyone.

May 18, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #2,061 of 6,311
Hi Matt,

Thanks you so much for coming in and addressing these issues. It's really good to know that we have support as we work on these issues from our end.

As for the cover art issue. I use Yate to tag all my files with metadata and coverart. I had yet to find a device that didn't work with the files it tagged until now. If I take a file and upsample it to 48Khz and tag it, Glider finds everything: metadata and cover art. If I upsample it to Hi Res, e.g., 768Khz, it only grabs metadata from AIFF w/o cover art, and is not able to extract anything from a 768KHz Wav file.

The squealing also comes form these 768KHz upsampled files. I understand that these are files that I converted but, again, I've never had a device that was capable of PCM768KHz /DSD512 that produced these kinds of sonic artifacts.

I would really appreciate help with JRiver. I had previously added the DLNA sever exactly as you wrote, but what is the next step? No matter what I select, I can't see the SD Card files in any window. I wonder if it is again an issue with Hi Res files.

Thanks again Matt.

You take care and stay safe as well.

May 18, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,062 of 6,311
So VLC might not be an option. Sorry if I got everyone excited. I'm a big VLC fan (for video, duh) and it never occurred to me to play with it. When i tested it last night it was already late and I wasn't going to fire up the speakers and annoy people :). Apologies!

Doody

May 18, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,063 of 6,311
Thanks Matt, I'm afraid that router fix will not help me as I have a single router. As written, all the other devices are able to access it from anywhere in the apartment except the 2go which will stay on the network from other rooms but will only play music when in line of sight in the main room.
Is this expected behaviour? If not I can talk to my dealer about a replacement.

May 18, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,064 of 6,311
Hi Matt,

Thanks you so much for coming in and addressing these issues. It's really good to know that we have support as we work on these issues from our end.

As for the cover art issue. I use Yate to tag all my files with metadata and coverart. I had yet to find a device that didn't work with the files it tagged until now. If I take a file and upsample it to 48Khz and tag it, Glider finds everything: metadata and cover art. If I upsample it to Hi Res, e.g., 768Khz, it only grabs metadata from AIFF w/o cover art, and is not able to extract anything from a 768KHz Wav file.

The squealing also comes form these 768KHz upsampled files. I understand that these are files that I converted but, again, I've never had a device that was capable of PCM768KHz /DSD512 that produced these kinds of sonic artifacts.

I would really appreciate help with JRiver. I had previously added the DLNA sever exactly as you wrote, but what is the next step? No matter what I select, I can't see the SD Card files in any window. I wonder if it is again an issue with Hi Res files.

Thanks again Matt.

You take care and stay safe as well.
Hi @edwardsean
I've not heard of Yate but I assume you are only using this to add file tagging. What are you using to upsample and convert the music files? I would be happy to test to see what happens from our side.
When you get the squealing between tracks does the sample rate light on Hugo2 change colour and if so what are the colours?

With J River on the left hand side is the quick menu with all the play options. Under playing now you should see all the network players and servers listed. Click to expand the playing from list then click on the Chord 2Go and then click load library. Next go to Audio on the left hand side to see the contents of the SD card.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #2,065 of 6,311
Anyone else have a better stream of music with BitPerfect checked off in the GoFigure all?

May 18, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #2,066 of 6,311
Thanks Matt, I'm afraid that router fix will not help me as I have a single router. As written, all the other devices are able to access it from anywhere in the apartment except the 2go which will stay on the network from other rooms but will only play music when in line of sight in the main room.
Is this expected behaviour? If not I can talk to my dealer about a replacement.
Sorry I can't remember whether you said this was with Roon playback or with DLNA or Airplay? Does Gofigure show you the network signal strength when you are out of sight of the router?

May 18, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #2,067 of 6,311
Hi @edwardsean
I've not heard of Yate but I assume you are only using this to add file tagging. What are you using to upsample and convert the music files? I would be happy to test to see what happens from our side.
When you get the squealing between tracks does the sample rate light on Hugo2 change colour and if so what are the colours?

With J River on the left hand side is the quick menu with all the play options. Under playing now you should see all the network players and servers listed. Click to expand the playing from list then click on the Chord 2Go and then click load library. Next go to Audio on the left hand side to see the contents of the SD card.

Matt,

Yes, I‘m only tagging the tracks with album, artist Infomation and the cover art.

For upsamping tracks to PCM768KHz, you can use an evaluation copy of HQPlayer Pro. You can download it here: https://www.signalyst.com/professional.html
Try it with polysinc-long-lp filter and LNS15 noise shaper.

When I switch tracks there is burst of squealing noise as the sample rate light flashes red. While the tracks are playing the indicator shows light purple as expected. However, if I pause a playing track it remains light purple but I will get the squealing noise until I resume play or start a new track.

Thanks so much for the instructions on JRiver. I‘ll give it a try.

One more quick question if I may. It would improve the 2Go experience a lot if both SD cards were accessible simultaneously instead of having to switch to GoFigure and change cards every time I want to play s song from the other card. Is this possible and on the road map for development? If not I‘m going to have to bite the bullet and buy another 1Tb card. However, they are still quite expensive.

I do hope you know that for all our grousing about glitches, we love this thing!

All the best to you.

May 18, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,068 of 6,311
Hi @edwardsean

I took a closer look at the sample rate light, When it’s switching tracks between Hi Res files it flashes rapidly in sequence red-yellow-green-blue-purple.

May 18, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #2,070 of 6,311
Sorry I can't remember whether you said this was with Roon playback or with DLNA or Airplay? Does Gofigure show you the network signal strength when you are out of sight of the router?
Yes it's using Roon. Gofigure shows the wifi stay at three bars when i walk into the next room (it literally never shows four bars, even when the 2go is sat directly next to the router). When I use my phone and iPad as a roon endpoint, they stream perfectly but when trying to use the 2go anywhere outside of having line of sight to the router, a few seconds of the track will play and then I get the following error: "An audio file is loading slowly. This may indicate a performance or hardware problem"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back