Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #1,696 of 6,290
Ok Update on my my 2 go after a lot of testing.

First I want to say this is awesome when working properly. The number one thing (ironically given the next bit) is what I’ve seen others here call the darkness or blackness, The lack of any noise is really amazing and tracks where sounds are sparse and spread out - It’s magical. I Love it.

I also do love airplay (even though I think it’s responsible for my “LP style noise issues”)

My weird airplay specific use case is watching Netflix etc - and airplaying the 2go from the iPad 12.9/apple tv. The lack of cables and the Hugo2go complete silence and just the headphone cable is really cool - and airplay is awesome for syncing the video. Weird use case, but it’s fun to have awesome headphone sound without running cables from the Apple TV/iPad etc. No more 1o ft long headphone cables for me.

In theory, airplay is super convenient for streaming and except when the dreaded LP Noise hits it works well.

Pop and click - I have not tried SD playback yet but someone recommend using mconnect so I could stream tidal using UPnP instead of airplay. After two nights of 3 hour plus listening not one pop and click incident.

The pop and click is not a wifi style interruption or stutter. I’d love others to comment on this or see if I’m right. It occurs (randomly) when there is a sudden increase in volume. It’s also important to note the distortion is not a clipping style digital distortion, it’s much softer than that and as others pointed out its more like the noise you get from playing an LP. It’s totally random BUT (and this is where I’d like others help) it seems to me to be triggered by a sudden increase in volume In the source material. It’s a very analog style noise for a digital device!

It then sticks around it’s soft and subtle (not unlike modern tracks which add in analog noise after the fact) and disappears again until it will suddenly pop up again.

My next step is to get off my but and load up my SD card and test that. But UPnP via mconnectHD is pop and click free for me.

Hope this helps - To reiterate, I love the 2go, makes the Hugo 2 a whole different beast and it’s made me realise that there is something to this cable noise stuff. I should add I’m always on battery.

Ed

PS I’m also On Amplify HD and can highly recommend it as a mesh network for home use :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #1,697 of 6,290
It’s strange that so many people are having pops and clicks and my whole experience is faultless right now and I’m a heavy daily user for the last 2-3 weeks. Primarily Tidal via Roon and SD cards in Airplane mode, with the occasional Airplay just to test.

All I know is that I’m lucky to have great bandwidth (1gb up/down fibre) excellent Wi-FI throughout my house (even in the Garden) via AmpliFi HD and no neighbours interfering with my Wi-fi.
So I can also guess that this is not a hardware fault.

I also have 1Gbps up and down (fibre). So my WiFi should not be an issue.

Would be funny if I have to upgrade to 10Gbps to make the 2GO fully functioning.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,698 of 6,290
I also have 1Gbps up and down (fibre). So my WiFi should not be an issue.

How about network environment? Do you have much interference? I’m just curious as to why so many are getting these pops and clicks and I’ve not had a single one. (Not that I want them!)

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #1,699 of 6,290
How about network environment? Do you have much interference? I’m just curious as to why so many are getting these pops and clicks and I’ve not had a single one. (Not that I want them!)

My network equipment is fine considering I stream a lot of movies on the Samsung 4K TV which is a much bigger drain on my network without any hiccups.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,701 of 6,290
So with thanks to @Feedbacker we have been working on the clicks and pops issue to try and narrow it down. I have to say it is extremely difficult for us to replicate but I can confirm it is nothing to do with the network or the WiFi connection. It is a software glitch that we are trying to trace and fix at the moment. As soon as I have anything else I will let you know.

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,702 of 6,290
Ok Update on my my 2 go after a lot of testing.

First I want to say this is awesome when working properly. The number one thing (ironically given the next bit) is what I’ve seen others here call the darkness or blackness, The lack of any noise is really amazing and tracks where sounds are sparse and spread out - It’s magical. I Love it.

I also do love airplay (even though I think it’s responsible for my “LP style noise issues”)

My weird airplay specific use case is watching Netflix etc - and airplaying the 2go from the iPad 12.9/apple tv. The lack of cables and the Hugo2go complete silence and just the headphone cable is really cool - and airplay is awesome for syncing the video. Weird use case, but it’s fun to have awesome headphone sound without running cables from the Apple TV/iPad etc. No more 1o ft long headphone cables for me.

In theory, airplay is super convenient for streaming and except when the dreaded LP Noise hits it works well.

Pop and click - I have not tried SD playback yet but someone recommend using mconnect so I could stream tidal using UPnP instead of airplay. After two nights of 3 hour plus listening not one pop and click incident.

The pop and click is not a wifi style interruption or stutter. I’d love others to comment on this or see if I’m right. It occurs (randomly) when there is a sudden increase in volume. It’s also important to note the distortion is not a clipping style digital distortion, it’s much softer than that and as others pointed out its more like the noise you get from playing an LP. It’s totally random BUT (and this is where I’d like others help) it seems to me to be triggered by a sudden increase in volume In the source material. It’s a very analog style noise for a digital device!

It then sticks around it’s soft and subtle (not unlike modern tracks which add in analog noise after the fact) and disappears again until it will suddenly pop up again.

My next step is to get off my but and load up my SD card and test that. But UPnP via mconnectHD is pop and click free for me.

Hope this helps - To reiterate, I love the 2go, makes the Hugo 2 a whole different beast and it’s made me realise that there is something to this cable noise stuff. I should add I’m always on battery.

Ed

PS I’m also On Amplify HD and can highly recommend it as a mesh network for home use :wink:
For a test can you try leaving your Airplay volume at maximum and only use the volume control on Hugo2 to set the level. See if this cures the issue of the LP noise you are hearing. Also make sure you have 2Go set to bit perfect mode.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,706 of 6,290
So with thanks to @Feedbacker we have been working on the clicks and pops issue to try and narrow it down. I have to say it is extremely difficult for us to replicate but I can confirm it is nothing to do with the network or the WiFi connection. It is a software glitch that we are trying to trace and fix at the moment. As soon as I have anything else I will let you know.

Matt, thanks for the feedback. Great to hear that it's a software not hardware problem. Also interesting that it's that difficult for you guys to replicate.

Any idea why some folks would see it just on Airplay and some (like me) on any playback? Hope the fix covers all cases of course :)

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #1,707 of 6,290
Thanks for the update @Matt Bartlett. Just having clarity from Chord makes a great difference. It makes good business sense.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,708 of 6,290
Anyone using 1TB cards, or mostly the 512s?
Aren't you using a 1tb card? In any case I'll test it with the 1tb SanDisk card I have in my phone tonight. Right now I'm using Samsung 512gb cards in both slots. Will report back.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,710 of 6,290
Aren't you using a 1tb card? In any case I'll test it with the 1tb SanDisk card I have in my phone tonight. Right now I'm using Samsung 512gb cards in both slots. Will report back.

I switched to two 512s only to learn that the indexing issue (repeated, up to 40 min) resolved when I ditched the provider’s router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back