Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #1,666 of 6,290
I am continuing to update the spreadsheet with posters and issues.
Focusing here just on those owners who are experiencing the clicking issue, some of you are mentioning that the clicking only occurs when using Airplay.
That is interesting feedback, but would be even better with additional info, so are you able to post whether:
  • clicking only with Airplay
  • clicking with Airplay and other connection methods (named)
  • clicking with other connection methods (named), but excluding Airplay

M:

I don't use Airplay at all. I have only experienced the clicking during one listening session. It was unambiguous, crystal clear, repetitive (but not regular) for about 30s to 45s, and unreproducible. Wired ethernet, Airplane mode, Roon endpoint. I was almost certainly playing that track redbook from Tidal.

D

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #1,668 of 6,290
if someone asked me to describe the noise, i would say "static" or "vinyl pops", not really "clicking" per se on my end
Violent agreement. When it happened I literally thought someone had recorded actual "vinyl pops" into the recording. This was not that "digital noise" static that you get when the signal just won't resolve. Not 'clicking' IME either. Sounded just like a pop on a vinyl record (which may just be "digital static" of a very short duration of course). Some sort of a data SNAFU :).

Doody

PS: If this is some sort of data drop-out, it has to be on the 2go end (and presumably fixable via firmware/software). If it isn't 2go, then I have to believe that either:
  1. Two ethernet wires (1.5m each) and a modern network hub are mucking with the data (while anything is possible, this is almost certainly not the culprit);
  2. Roon is dropping the data and still pushing the song forward - which is behavior I have never seen Roon do (hey - anything is possible though!); or
  3. Hugo2 suddenly is having a problem with dropping data it receives via USB, which I've never had an issue with in 2+ years of using my Hugo2.
Occam's razor suggests that the data is being mucked with somewhere between when it gets pulled off the network subsystem inside 2go and when it gets shoved over the USB interface into the Hugo2. It's an annoying heads-down debugging problem, IMHO.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,669 of 6,290
That makes sense as the pops and clicks are likely to be caused by drops in the signal. It is very possible that the WiFi and ethernet hardware within the 2Go is below par and if anything else in the chain is not top spec then problems will arise.

If so, weird that I've never had this happen on the Poly.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #1,670 of 6,290
I also find it strange that on the Poly it works fine.

Would be quite interesting if the Chord Poly has “better hardware” onboard maybe.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,671 of 6,290
I also find it strange that on the Poly it works fine.

Would be quite interesting if the Chord Poly has “better hardware” onboard maybe.
That's an interesting idea! But, perhaps, it can be turned on its head. Perhaps the added capabilities in the 2go are to blame? Better jitter control leading to issues? If so, I would lean towards a software/firmware issue.

This is pure conjecture, though!

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,675 of 6,290
An amp?!?!?!?!

SHUTCHOMOUTH!

:)

Doody
I use an amp because my primary headphones are electrostatic. Have no complaints!

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,678 of 6,290
I use an amp because my primary headphones are electrostatic. Have no complaints!
Yes, i know what you mean. For Christmas I bought myself the Drop 95X electrostatic headphones, whilst they were on warehouse closing sale price.
I have used them with both Mojo and Hugo2.
They make it sound like the drummer is playing the cymbals 1m away from your right ear.
Great fun, but I tend to reserve them for the Mojo, but a great introduction to electrostatic headphones.
I am sure that some Stax enthusiast will post that if I spend 2k€ I will be able to hear better sound quality with a Stax system.
Quite possibly true, but for bang per buck, the Koss 95X satisfied my original objective, and revealed to me the potential of electrostatic headphones.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,679 of 6,290
I am continuing to update the spreadsheet with posters and issues.
Focusing here just on those owners who are experiencing the clicking issue, some of you are mentioning that the clicking only occurs when using Airplay.
That is interesting feedback, but would be even better with additional info, so:
@NYanakiev , @Doody , @Feedbacker , @muski , @mrandery , @Ards , @EdDale , @MSXX are you able to post whether:
  • clicking only with Airplay
  • clicking with Airplay and other connection methods (named)
  • clicking with other connection methods (named), but excluding Airplay

NameStatusComments
NYanakiev07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
Doody07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
supervisor07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)when using Airplay
ubs2807 - Owned - Problems (clicking)when using Airplay
joshnor71307 - Owned - Problems (clicking)All methods
enragedlemon07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)when using Airplay
Feedbacker07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
muski07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
mrandery07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
Ards07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
EdDale07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)
MSXX07 - Owned - Problems (clicking)

So far I am only hearing the "pops" when using airplay.

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,680 of 6,290
maybe it's simultaneous Roon + "other" mode?

Think it’s broader. I get the pops (followed closely by the poops) mostly when using 2go’s wifi hotspot mode and local sd files. Also even when everything is off and just resuming play from the gofigure app (so local sd file and airplane mode).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back