Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,621 of 6,290
Some Analysis.
Previous Setup
Customized No Fan Skull canyon NUC i7 with 32gb ram and windows 2016 server with HDPlex Linear power supply connected to Chord Dave through USB to ETHERNET Converter (Linear power supply) to EAR 868 -AMp->speaker
music was on another NAS server. Connected through wifi.

New Set up:
Chord hugo 2go -.preamp - AmP->Speaker

Songs on Microsd sounds way better (depth , weight sepration etc) then the i used to get from PC remember i am right now in huso 2 vs Chord dave . 2GO stays. For Qobuz its borderline but i think its mostly because PC had Chord Dave. THis is Hugo 2.

I am waiting for 2yo and then running this to Chord Dave that should be another level.

V
PS: Just buy this digital transport the PC USB music is just a rabbit hole.

Apr 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,622 of 6,290
Totally agr

I couldn’t agree more. Sitting in the same spot where my 2Go can’t play 192/24 on 2.4GHz, my iPad Pro gets 400-500mbps down over 5GHz. Even the new Devialet products support 5GHz.

Oh, and the new iPad Pro is WiFi 6 (802.11ax), so Chord just released a new product that is two generations behind in WiFi tech.

Poly "horror stories" together with lack of 5Ghz support on 2Go made me ignore both products unfortunately, especially at those price tags. However it seems there are plenty of customers who do not care nor need such functionality and are not very demanding considering price level. In my book Chord makes great audio devices and clearly lacks expertise, knowledge and engineering skills in area of network devices. This should not be surprising since how many network equipment manufactures make great DACs or AMPs? What is surprising for me is that company that goes into such lengthy an costly development processes for audio devices caring about all those little details has no problem at all releasing such add-ons.

Apr 19, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,624 of 6,290
Apr 19, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #1,625 of 6,290
What specifically? I also love it!

I have my entire orchestral & opera library with me. (SD cards) Whatever strikes me to listen to, I have with me on the greatest DAC I could afford.

I get the H2 sound quality wherever I am.

I am so enjoying this.

I was planning on waiting until reviews came in before purchasing.
yet —-when companies allowed us to
Pre order:

I folded like a cheap suit.

I don’t know what that actually means but I know it definitely happened to me.

😇

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #1,626 of 6,290
Regarding listening to differences, it is relative and proportional to the level of requirement of the audiophile. Whoever has learned to distinguish small differences, often becomes the victim of his approach. Because as soon as the differences are heard, they disturb.
If you are lucky not to hear, the pollution generated by the mains supply of the Hugo2, you will not hear it when it is used with the 2go. For my part, I use the Hugo2 either on its battery or on power bank.
Lately, I was surprised that the difference between certain optical fibers was also audible with the Hugo2. I've been told this for 30 years and I never wanted to believe it.
I also tried to improve things with a Jitterbug, and even on my Dave, but however it never allowed me to improve the situation in terms of quality that the Poly offers to the Mojo as regards the 'USB input.
I listen to the Hugo2 using the optical output of the Mscaler. I consider that the quality of the 2GO sdcard reading mode is equivalent to the optical quality.
The 2go fully meets my expectations for the use you are thinking about.
It is very possible that some will soon say that the 2yu is just a luxury Jitterbug. For my part, I will smile while thinking: Ah, if I could be part of the blessed who do not perceive the small differences.

And maybe one day, you will use a 2yu between your PC and your Hugo2.😇

My Hugo 2 was resigned to battery operation only. I have a Qutest and TT2 connected to my PC now.

Regarding power supply noise, I suppose there are gadgets like iFi iPurifier, to neutralise DC power supply noise.

However I never really heard a difference with Hugo 2, from battery compared to PSU plugged in.

I still don't deny 'small differences' as you describe them though. I probably never really gave testing enough time. Like I only ever compared USB vs optical with Hugo 2, quite briefly. Whereas another example, I compared Jriver in bit-perfect mode vs Media Go in non-bit-perfect mode, for a month. (I trialled JRiver for a month, then when the trial was over, went back to Media Go. Music immediately sounded colder, flatter, and less engaging. I bought Jriver.)

I always felt I should have compared Hugo 2 PSU vs battery playback, for a longer time. Also optical vs USB. In shorter tests though, both sounded the same to me.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #1,627 of 6,290
My Hugo 2 was resigned to battery operation only. I have a Qutest and TT2 connected to my PC now.

Regarding power supply noise, I suppose there are gadgets like iFi iPurifier, to neutralise DC power supply noise.

However I never really heard a difference with Hugo 2, from battery compared to PSU plugged in.

I still don't deny 'small differences' as you describe them though. I probably never really gave testing enough time. Like I only ever compared USB vs optical with Hugo 2, quite briefly. Whereas another example, I compared Jriver in bit-perfect mode vs Media Go in non-bit-perfect mode, for a month. (I trialled JRiver for a month, then when the trial was over, went back to Media Go. Music immediately sounded colder, flatter, and less engaging. I bought Jriver.)

I always felt I should have compared Hugo 2 PSU vs battery playback, for a longer time. Also optical vs USB. In shorter tests though, both sounded the same to me.
Imho the improvement 2go brings is not related to the powering Hugo2 battery v anything else. I never could hear the difference if my hugo 2 was mains or only battery powered. I am not some kind of gold ear person and I do not find differences between various h2 filters as material. I still think i hear serious improvement between 2go and other sources i had used. Of course I can not fully exclude that I am subject of some kind of placebo effect. But each time i tried any sort of comparision with my other equipement differences seems to be very evident. I am not pretending i know why and how though.

Apr 20, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #1,628 of 6,290
If I remember correctly, Rob Watts designed the Hugo 2 (and the Mojo) for portable use. And phones are much better sources than a laptop for example. Hence the Hugo 2 and Mojo lack key elements that you do not find on the Hugo TT which makes them more sensitive to bad sources.

So it is expected that the 2GO will sound better than let’s say a laptop over USB connection with the Hugo 2(just like how the Mojo is better with the Poly). That is actually the only reason I was interested in the 2GO (as I am actually fine with using the Hugo 2 wired).

However I do not expect the same differences with the Hugo TT and Chord Dave if the Chord 2GO + 2YU is used as these DAC’s are better designed than the Hugo 2 and Mojo. But if I can get my hands on demo model of the Chord 2YU, I can test it out.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #1,629 of 6,290
If I remember correctly, Rob Watts designed the Hugo 2 (and the Mojo) for portable use. And phones are much better sources than a laptop for example. Hence the Hugo 2 and Mojo lack key elements that you do not find on the Hugo TT which makes them more sensitive to bad sources.

So it is expected that the 2GO will sound better than let’s say a laptop over USB connection with the Hugo 2(just like how the Mojo is better with the Poly). That is actually the only reason I was interested in the 2GO (as I am actually fine with using the Hugo 2 wired).

The Mojo would benefit from Poly if you were not using e.g. a Jitterbug to filter RFI with Mojo USB.

Hugo 2 was designed with RFI filtering on the USB input.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #1,630 of 6,290
The Mojo would benefit from Poly if you were not using e.g. a Jitterbug to filter RFI with Mojo USB.

Hugo 2 was designed with RFI filtering on the USB input.

I’m pretty sure the Hugo 2 lacks stuff like galvanic isolation which the Hugo TT does have.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,631 of 6,290
I think Win10 is free now. You can get a very recent ISO from the torrents and make a bootable USB thumb drive from that. I NEVER upgrade.

You can get one direct from Microsoft! Why take the risk torrenting something that might be loaded with malware?

The issue for me is that the DAC sees the music files identically whether from Poly/2Go or another source. If you rule out RFI from PC for example; by maybe using optical. Then the signal is the same at the DAC.

I'm sure it is only RFI, except where I had a long, cheap, optical cable that resulted in horrid audio from the Hugo 2.
A DAC though doesn't "see" a music file. It receives a PCM (or DSD) data stream.

If want to stream DSD 512 (45.2 Mb/s) without interruptions that needs at least 60Mbps (accounting for overhead).

With the greatest respect, you'd be crazy! :) 5 megabytes/second transfer for DSD 512, when the majority of what you are transferring is inaudible, high-frequency noise generated by the original ADC that made the recording? That's a complete waste of time IMO. Even a lot of 192k recordings are mostly ADC noise above 48 kHz. If you must be crazy (as we all can be periodically) then a long ethernet cable is the way to go.

Likewise. I recall that people who had noise issues with the stock PSU, it turned out to be that the noise generated by the PSU was not being picked up by the Hugo 2, but by amps connected to the same power supply! I have all my wall warts on a filtered power board for this reason.

A few weeks ago, I built a very long power cable out of spare, 18AWG speaker cable so that I could hook my system up to a spare socket on the other side of my room. Afterwards, the whole system sounded a bit darker, which suggests I may have knocked out a bit more noise.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:50 AM Post #1,633 of 6,290
I received my 2go before the weekend. I don't have my SD'cards at the moment so I only been using tidal (streaming). I have been plagued by pops and clicks too in a very bad way. So bad that my initial respons were to get a refund. I started out using the tidal app and airplay to 2go which was terrible as the pops or jitter were very present (sounds like there is a very old transister radio is playing/buzzing at a very low volume behind the music). I just switched to the m-connect app because someone here recommended it. it just works now - and sounds great. I am not very tech-savvy so a little anxious about my purchase - I will report back.

Apr 20, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,634 of 6,290
I received my 2go before the weekend. I don't have my SD'cards at the moment so I only been using tidal (streaming). I have been plagued by pops and clicks too in a very bad way. So bad that my initial respons were to get a refund. I started out using the tidal app and airplay to 2go which was terrible as the pops or jitter were very present (sounds like there is a very old transister radio is playing/buzzing at a very low volume behind the music). I just switched to the m-connect app because someone here recommended it. it just works now - and sounds great. I am not very tech-savvy so a little anxious about my purchase - I will report back.
Sorry to hear about your issues.
As you have read, there are several other posters experiencing the same issue.
It will help Chord identify the root cause, if they get as much feedback from owners as possible.
To help this, please could you email support@chordelectronics.co.uk so that they can log your issue, and maybe they can then suggest some configurations for you to test.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #1,635 of 6,290
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back