Choosing between 5 headphones
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mindstate

New Head-Fier
Hi Headfi'ers,

For the past weeks, I have been orientating on these forums and other sources, and it was a great help. Starting off with a list of 25 headphones that I found on these forums, I have been able to narrow them down to 5; but then it stops.

The headphones that I have on my list:

- Audio Technica ATH-A700
- Sony Xb700
- BeyerDynamic DT-770PRO
- AKG K271
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
- Shure SRH840

I am aware of the fact that these are all different cans, and have their strengths and weaknesses, but after so much information have come through me - this whole night I have been busy narrowing 15 headphones down to these 5 -; I can't tell which one suits me best anymore.

What I am looking for:
- Good sound quality, I am by no means an audiophile, but I do appreciate good sound.
- Good looks
- Must sound good without an AMP, to my iPod
- Shouldn't have too much sound leakage inside and out

Could you help me out?

Edit: I'm so stuffed with info that I didn't realize these were actually 6 headphones..

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 10
I just got a pair of the Shure 840s and they are driven well by my iPhone. I'm sure they'd sound better with an amp (what pair of high end cans wouldn't?) but they sound pretty great to me. Now, they're aren't the best looking headphones out there. They are big and make you look like a music dork. That's totally fine with me because I want people to know that my music is better than theirs. :wink:

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Why dont I see Ultrasone HFI-580 on that list? driven grant by ipod's IMO better than the m50's try them for your self.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 10
Everyone thanks for your time

Thanks, I saw it before but somehow I totally forgot about them. 

Indeed the easiest to do would be to just listen to them and find out what I like best. Though, in my city and in an area of 200km of it I haven't been able to find a single dealer who sells either Audio-Technica and Ultrasone, so I kind of rely on the power of the internet. Following ssavage I have chosen to delete the Beyer's of my list so I have this left:

- Audio Technica ATH-A700

- Sony Xb700

- Ultrasone HFI-580

- AKG K271

- Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

- Shure SRH840

@Torifile: Thanks for your response, I've seen some pics of it and I didn't think it looked that bad :)

Feb 17, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 10
In my opinion the bass impact required for hip-hop and dubstep and a clean mid and treble for rock as listed in your 5 I say leaves the BeyerDynamic DT-770. They will work from an iPod but improve with proper amping, perhaps buy the headphones now and the amp later if you're liking the sound of the beyers.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 10
The Dt770 Pro 80Ohm are fart cannons. The 250ohm version, the more balanced version, is not easily driven without an amp. Even then the 80ohm version isn't the best without an amp. If you find the 32ohm version you should be okay though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back